WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ATC Warns of Trouble on the AT from Maryland through New York

I copied the below from the ATC web site. Is there anyone hiking in the area who can give a first hand account of conditions? I leave for Wind Gap, PA Tuesday (5/22) to continue my NOBO hike and it looks like I'm going to hit this mess right away.

(5/17/2018) ALERT! Storm Damage and Flooding: Northern Virginia through New York

A very strong storm system with high winds and heavy rains impacted portions of the A.T. from northern Virginia to New York early this week. Heavy rains are forecast to continue throughout the Eastern Seaboard, and are especially of concern in Maryland. Hikers are advised to postpone their hikes due to the following conditions that may be present and make hiking inconvenient or unsafe, especially in areas identified below:

• Downed trees
    • Hazardous stream crossings
    • Flooded or washed out access roads
    • Flooded campsites
    • Wet and muddy treadway

Saturated soils from extended rains may lead to more falling trees. Small creeks that are normally rock hops may become too dangerous to cross. We are just starting to receive reports of damage.

AREAS OF IDENTIFIED OR ANTICIPATED CONCERN:

Maryland
    Rain is forecast to continue for the next 3 days, with totals reaching up to an additional 5"

• Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge over the Potomac River – anticipated to close 5/18 (afternoon)
    • C&O Towpath – minor flooding from canal reported late 5/17; expected to flood at Harpers Ferry 5/19
    • Keeptryst Road - closed due to bridge washout 5/16
    • Crampton Gap campsites – reported flooded 5/16
    • Dahlgren Backpacker Campground – reported flooded 5/16
    • Little Antietam Creek – flooding likely soon

New Jersey
    • Worthington State Forest – CLOSED (facilities and access are closed, no word that the A.T. is closed)

New York
    High concentration of blowdowns making the A.T. difficult, unsafe, or impassible, especially in these areas:

• Harriman State Park
    • Long Hill Road to Rte. 52

Long-distance hikers are encouraged to find ways to skip Maryland and affected areas in New York or any other areas with potentially unsafe conditions and will not be disqualified for their 2,000-miler status if they do so. Always hike with a map and compass, let someone know your itinerary, and be prepared with contingency plans.

Report any notable trail problems to [email protected]. Photos are helpful.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Wowza! This is in my neck of the woods and certainly disturbing to read over!!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Wowza! This is in my neck of the woods and certainly disturbing to read over!!
    Yeah, it's been ridiculous here. I was going to do the Maryland Heights section this weekend but no freaking way.

Hiker 2-Clicks is NOBO and just crossed into PA today, judging from his IG posts it's miserable.

Default Potomac R. Footbridge, C&O, and Keeptryst Rd. are Closedd

The footbridge over the Potomac River was closed last night due to rising river levels. The A.T. is closed along the C&O Towpath, and both parts of Keeptryst Road (the one that curves around the A.T. just beyond the railroad tracks) are closed. The road had major damage, I believe where Israel Creek passed underneath.

Effectively 4 miles of the A.T. from Harpers Ferry northbound into Maryland are inaccessible/closed. There is no viable alternate roadwalk. US 340 is unsafe to walk at any time (there have been pedestrian fatalities along here) with narrow shoulders and heavy traffic. Now there is water cascading off the mountain, slippery conditions and low visibility due to all the rain. Although there is no official shuttles in place, hikers are not having trouble finding rides one way or another.

Maryland Heights cannot be accessed because Sandy Hook Road is closed. See the map of southern Washington County, Maryland here (scroll to the bottom).

Laurie P.
    ATC
    Last edited by Lauriep; 05-18-2018 at 13:19.

Wow! 1996 all over again

Default Northern VA has stream crossings with high water, some blowdowns

Note that northern Virginia is included in the ATC alert. There are several streams that were flooded and/or fast-moving, the first one probably around Raven Rock/Crescent Rock, and others through the Roller Coaster south of Bears.

Other hikers have reported a fair number of blowdowns between Sam Moore Shelter and Harpers Ferry, with the most between Blackburn and David Lesser Shelter, and a high concentration just south of the David Lesser Shelter where they thought it looked like a tornado had hit. Some blowdowns need to be walked around or crossed over/under, but sound like they shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Most of the blowdowns were on the ridgetop areas. The challenging stream crossings are at low elevations coming out of hollows, mostly in the Roller Coaster. The location of the Roller Coaster is is somewhat unusual for the A.T. in that it does not follow the ridgetop where one is available. (It did until the mid-'80s, but was moved because the only route on top was to follow a paved road populated with houses).
    Last edited by Lauriep; 05-18-2018 at 17:12.

The Shenandoah and Potomac rivers are both up 4+ feet in the Loudoun/Clarke counties in VA, parts of the trail outside of Front Royal are washed out.

Thanks, Hiking Chef. Could you provide any more specific details about the washed-out trail outside of Front Royal?

Sure hope things get back to usable by June 9th been planning on doing either MD or NoVa depending on conditions, since last fall and wont have another shot at a 10 dayer till its too hot.

Anybody know about conditions in NY between 17A and 301? I'm planning to do that aroune June 9 before it gets too hot.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingchef View Post
    The Shenandoah and Potomac rivers are both up 4+ feet in the Loudoun/Clarke counties in VA, parts of the trail outside of Front Royal are washed out.
    Man, might have to make a trip out to Great Falls tomorrow now. I'm sure they are raging!

I'm not sure about the Connecticut section of the AT, but just a little farther south we had extensive tree damage from four tornadoes and a macroburst on Tuesday. Some people are still without power.

https://www.newstimes.com/local/article/NWS-releases-details-on-macroburst-4-tornadoes-12924957.php

We trotted out the alky stove for cooked meals. Backpacking gear comes in handy at home, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I'm not sure about the Connecticut section of the AT, but just a little farther south we had extensive tree damage from four tornadoes and a macroburst on Tuesday. Some people are still without power.

https://www.newstimes.com/local/article/NWS-releases-details-on-macroburst-4-tornadoes-12924957.php
    Wow! That is a lot of trees that got blown down. I can only imagine what the AT looks like.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Don't forget about PA. Near the Doyle's (Duncannon) they had 50-70 mph winds early this week with several inches of Rain. (Long range weather outlook, more Rain for this area.) Has anyone been on the trail since the start of all this Wind/Rain?

Journal Entries
    Images

I posted this on a Facebook AT section hikers group just now...

I backpacked in NY from Poughquag to Hopewell Junction this weekend on the AT. They had tornadoes in their area last week. Some individual trees are down and relatively easy to get around. North but near the RPH shelter, there are 2 sections where lots of trees are down. The area closest to the shelter is marked with white plastic ribbon to help hikers know how to get around them. The other one isn't marked yet. Each of these areas are huge, not just a single tree or two. There also is a another major area with trees down about a mile north of route 301 hopewell junction. It is doable with patience to get around but will slow you down. Many many thanks to the volunteers who marked the trail and started clearing the mess.20180518_181321.jpeg20180518_175753.jpeg20180518_182417.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

I knew these storms would be trouble. I was in the Daleville area when they started to crank up. Flash flood warnings were posted for the area. I was already on my way home when the worst of it came through Thursday/Friday and pity those who walked through it. Like the 100's of NOBO's I recently met while I was going south. The fire around Tinker cliffs caused a small bubble, this flooding will cause a much bigger one to hit PA all at once. The only good thing is that all the water sources should stay flowing for longer then usual. Most seasonal springs and streams I passed were still flowing in the last few weeks. BTW, it had been in the high 80's and low 90's for much of last week and once these storms move out, it will be back that way. So, the rain followed me back to the Whites today. I'll have to see what the place looks like when it gets light. I should probably get some sleep now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Did the horrible flooding that hit Boone affect the AT around Elk Park, Roan Highlands, etc.?
    Wayne

Default NY - sections north of Hudson impassible or near impassible

Sections in New York north of the Hudson are impassible or near impassible. While experienced and fit backpackers may view these sections as a unique and manageable challenge, please do not put yourself and potentially rescuers who are needed elsewhere at risk by hiking these sections until they are cleared. Also consider that rescuers may not be able to get to you. Nobody ever plans on getting hurt. If you encounter hazardous conditions, please backtrack, and send reports to [email protected] when you are able. Thru-hikers (and section-hikers) can bypass sections and still be eligible for 2,000-miler status.

It's also easy to get disoriented or lost in these circumstances. Just a couple of days ago there was a hiker in northern Virginia who was lost for 1 1/2 days. She stayed put just a few hundred yards from the Trail until she gained confidence and guidance from rescuers in touch with her to walk out. Small creeks in the vicinity had turned into impassible torrents. Blowdowns and high water or flooded trail make everything more challenging.

See www.appalachiantrail.org/updates for more detail on conditions.

Thanks for the updates on trail conditions. I'll be going through the mentioned areas in less than two weeks. How about the shelters and the designated camp sites around them? Are any of the shelters damaged? Have the designated camp sites been covered with blow downs? Are these areas even safe for camping considering how saturated the ground is (fear of falling trees)?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Default CT OK and open for hiking

The most severe winds from the front, along with the tornadoes, were all farther to the south and east of the AT. We have only heard/seen of a couple blowdowns along the trail here which we will have removed as soon as it stops raining. Water levels are normal for this time of year and the bugs haven't been too bad yet.
    Jim Liptack
    CT-AMC Overseer of Trails

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++