WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How much wind is too much?

Hey Folks, I'm thinking of hiking Mounts Adams and Madison on Friday, but the National Weather Service is forecasting 75 mph winds at the Adams summit (higher at Mt. Washington). I had been thinking of doing Madison first, then Adams, but since the winds will be out of the west, I figure hiking downwind from Adams to Madison makes more sense, if hiking in that kind of wind makes any sense at all.

How much wind is just too dangerous? Would it be crazy to attempt those summits in that kind of wind?

Hiking up and down in those conditions would be an interesting challenge. Most people would fail. Hiking along the ridgeline would be pretty much impossible. Yes, it would be dangerous. Most people won't climb in winds higher than about 30 mph because they spend too much time on their back side and progress is hard to impossible. I'd try to summit one peak in those conditions just for the heck of it, but, I would do so with the expectation of failure. And, I would only do so in good weather (other than the high wind component).
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I've been blow over the top of Mt Adams before - but it was winter and I landed in a snow drift on the other side. I doubt the winds were anywhere near 75 MPH at the time.

Typically the wind speed increases dramatically from Thunderstorm Junction at the bottom of the summit cone to the top. With 75 MPH winds, you'd be on your hands and knees trying to get over the boulder field. If a stray gust of wind knocks you down and drives your knee into a boulder, you will likely crack it and have to be carried down.

Basically, there is no safe way to summit those peaks in that kind of wind. The weather for this weekend doesn't look good, but I'm sure there will be more then a few idiots out there in it. Don't be one of them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

In July of 2016 we hiked up from Pinkham Notch to Madison Hut, where we had reservations. The wind was very strong. We set our trekking poles at a 45° angle to brace ourselves from being blown over. Progress was very slow and precarious. Near Madison we spoke with a NOBO hiker who had started from Mt Washington that morning. He described the wind pinning him to the ground multiple times.

At the hut, we learned from a croo member that the wind speeds were in the 70-80 mph range, with similar or worse forecast the next day. They very strongly discouraged us from continuing to Lake of the Clouds in the morning. We ended up taking a side trail down to the valley, an expensive cab to the cog railway, and then hiked an excessively steep trail directly up to LOTC so we could stay on track with our reservations.

When we go back to finish NH, we'll ride the cog up and hike over to Madison to complete that section.

30-40 mph is too much for me

For me, 50 is OK but tough (goggles recommended) 75 is questionable.
    100 will blow you away.
    I remember hiking out west near the windmills an questioning the windmill service people.
    They told us there are automatic brakes when the wind hits 50mph.
    So, we were able to determine (after that) when it was over 50.
    Experienced probably close to 100 in Nepal once and had to turn back.
    Even the Sherpas seemed scared.
    75? That's tough man. (and not much fun)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

30 to 40 max is the most folks will typically feel comfortable in. Take the Valley Way up (bring traction as the last 1/4 of a mile was still a monorail last Friday. Valley way is super sheltered. Then make the call at Madison Hut. If you feel comfortable head up Madison. The Star Lake trail still had a couple of snow fields last Friday and they tend to be high risk so best shot is the Airline.

Star Lake to the Summit if Adams is pretty steep. More so if a gust of wind comes over the top and blows you off the Mountain. Those rocks are pretty jagged and pointy. I would hate to bump my head on one. 40 to 50 mph is about my limit on Rocky summits like Madison and Adams. Risk of getting blown off balance with my leg stuck in between some rocks is not a risk I'm willing to take.

Actually, the best way up when it's windy is via Lowes Path. The wind is to your back and somewhat sheltered most of the way up Adams. But like I said, there can be (and usually is) a dramatic increase in the wind speed from Thunderstorm junction to the summit. There is a trail on the east side of Adams summit down to star lake, but it can be difficult to find and follow. It isn't used much. The Air line is a little sheltered. Once down by Madison hut you can be blown back up to Madison's summit, but coming back down again will be into the wind. There are ways to loop back to Lowes path lower down so you don't have to walk face into the wind back the Lowes Path via the Gulf side trail.

I lived at Gray Knob for 11 months on the side of Mt Adams, along with many weekend trips in all seasons. I know the wind patterns up there very well. Hiking in high winds up there is not only dangerous, but exhausting.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A light Island breeze is enough for me!
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

-

When the trees come down it may be time to try another day

The temp and therefore windchill is also a big factor above treeline on a Spring hike on the AT in the Whites.

For me, anything over 60 mph is a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Until the snow fields clear out going down Star Lake trail is not recommended unless you went up it. The reason is that the snow fields are down near Madison Gulf and there is no way to easily bypass them once you get there. The only safe option is climb back up to the summit and take Airline down. These snow fields are not flat, they are tilted downwards at a steep slant, if you lose it and start sliding, they drop into a boulder field. Later on in the summer it is a nice option to stay out of the wind but be aware the last stretch before the summit is very exposed. I have had to partially crawl across this section once or twice as standing up and trying to walk was dangerous.

++ New Posts ++