WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New England Ruck?

A fellow CT native joked w/ me today about having a Connecticut ruck, for all 2 or 3 of us. Then I got to thinking, maybe a New England ruck is in order. I know that the gathering was held in NH not too long ago but it will be another year or so before that returns (my understanding is that it moves to virginia)

And maybe a NE ruck already exists that I don't know about. I think it would be a cool way to meet people on the site and to eat/party together and hike together. Anyone have suggestions or advice on how to get the ball rolling? best places to hold something like this? If im way off base let me know

Journal Entries
    Images

When are you thinking of holding this? I mean what month? I would be able to attend if it were in Maine. I might even be able to help arrange something if it were in Maine. We need more specifics.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    When are you thinking of holding this? I mean what month? I would be able to attend if it were in Maine. I might even be able to help arrange something if it were in Maine. We need more specifics.
    Troll, I was just throwing out an idea. I think Maine would be a great choice, I would LOVE to get back up north and do some hiking. In terms of a time frame I didn't really have much in mind. What do you guys think?

Journal Entries
    Images

Lets look into this some then. I have to admit I do not know anything abouts Rucks. But aren't Rucks held during winter months. I have a couple of places in mind where we could hold them. But would need to know more about Rucks and the backgrounds behind them.
    AT Troll (2010)

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

A Ruck is a gathering. Food, presenters of movies, or slideshows, maybe some gear people. Usually done before hiking season to help potential thru's meet others and we did a tuckerization at the SoRuck. It's a chance for hikers to simply get together and enjoy each others company. If you want contact Sly or Orangebug. Orangebug set up the first ones down south, and Sly organized this years SoRuck. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be. They're about fun, pure and simple!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Lets look into this some then. I have to admit I do not know anything abouts Rucks. But aren't Rucks held during winter months. I have a couple of places in mind where we could hold them. But would need to know more about Rucks and the backgrounds behind them.
    PA Ruck & Southern/SO Ruck is held in January.
    www.soruck.com
    http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html

Rockies Ruck:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/

There's a Florida Ruck too.

And lots of pictures taken over the years:
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums.php

Marsha

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    . Don't make it more complicated than it has to be. They're about fun, pure and simple!
    Yep..that they are. The Rockies Ruck (in the current form) more or less started as an e-mail thread on White Blaze.

Just keep it simple. If you can, find a hostel willing to take in a group of about ~20-25 people as the Rucks usually start of at that size. You can watch slide shows, eat food and talk trail. Alway good to see fellow hiker trash!

I think a New England ruck would go over well. Heck, wish there was one when I was back in New England.

As you can tell, with all the various hiker gatherings (Trail Days, the Gatherings, Rucks, ADZPCTKOP, Winter Warmers, etc.), getting together with fellow hikers are very fun and popular!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte
    PA Ruck & Southern/SO Ruck is held in January.
    www.soruck.com
    http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html

Rockies Ruck:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/

There's a Florida Ruck too.

And lots of pictures taken over the years:
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums.php

Marsha
    The Philly Hikerz had the 1st Annual Eastern PA Ruck on Super Bowl Sunday! 7 hikerz showed up ..hiked and cooked lunch and compared gear. Pics by RobK are on the Philly Hikers thread page 5.

what about having a ruck at "the cabin" there are so amazing hikes in that area including notch and the 10 mile stretch after nobo grafton state park. (what the heck is the name of that mtn range?) Its mostly above treeline and its amazing hiking.

The cabin had a fair amount of bunk space, a seperate kitchen and plenty of spot in the yard for people who want to camp. Just an idea. Oh and its closer to the NH border making it more accessible to all New Englanders.

We could do a day of food, presentations, slideshows etc,then a second day of hiking, and for those who dont want tohike, more food, presentations etc.

the cabin....

the cabin... (delete previous post)

Journal Entries
    Images

I could work something out with Honey and Bear I am sure. They are good friends. It may be to short of a notice this year though seeing hiker season has already started.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

This sounds like a great idea, an excuse to get some hiker trash together is always good. Not to knock the Maine idea (I regretted not staying at the Cabin) but the Whiteblaze get together has been there the past two years. While Maine is beautiful and a great destination, it isn't exactly close for, well anyone living outside maine, or near the Whites. I would love to see something in CT, mass or NY. I'm sure you'd get more people than you think. I can think of a couple of CT thru-hikers already off the top of my head.

Anyway, sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should organize something for an NYC hiker bash!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    This sounds like a great idea, an excuse to get some hiker trash together is always good. Not to knock the Maine idea (I regretted not staying at the Cabin) but the Whiteblaze get together has been there the past two years.
    I would love to see the NEWRUCK held anywhere in New England. Maine would be my first choice because I thought it had the best hiking anywhere in New England and there are several good hostels, but I'd be happy to go anywhere. I can't think of any great hostels in CT that would be able to host us. There are more options in Mass, Tom Levardi, Birdcage, Upper Goose Pond (no electricity) just a few ideas. Maybe a climb up Greylock?
    Plenty of cool hiking in Vermont, would prefer NH though. Any options for finding a place somehwhere in the Whites? I think we should be open to a good New England location, I figured the Cabin would be relatively neutral because its right on the border.

And yah this is kind of late in the season, but as far as Im concerned, any times a good time for hiking, and hiking gatherings.

wow, that came off as one big ramble... sorry. Lets try to make this happen!
    Lets talk dates.....
    Lets talk location
    Lets talk logistics

Images

Thumbs up N. E. Ruck !!

I think it would be a great event. I hope it happens. I will go if I can match the time off. I would help if possible, too.

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

If you plan it for some time toward the end of summer we might be able to stop by (assuming we make it that far north!)!

Here's a nice cabin, sleeps eight+ inside, six+ on the porch, with plenty of tenting & parking, just minutes outside the Baxter State Park gate:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4116&c=563
    The view from the cabin:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7196&catid=member&imageuser=314

TeaseJ
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

the cabin Teej posted would be amazing. Cons are that it only sleeps 8 and Baxter is a long drive for anyone thats not from northern Maine. Looks great though and the view is amazing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++