WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cave locations?

Southbound from way north! Supernova's Avatar
    Images

Default Cave locations?

I know that there are certain to be many acves that are passed by the trail. Any tips on which to check out? Which might be worth the side trip to off trail locations that someone who loves to spend their time underground might want to explore?

Images

Lightbulb Contact the National Speleological Society

If the hikers don't know, the cavers probably will.

Contact the National Speleological Society at
    http://www.caves.org. Very nice, helpful folks.

Wife introduced me to caving when we first married! Later, kids and work and geography put a dent in the caving. Now we hike instead!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

weve been to linville caverns several times, which isnt too far off the trail. we are going to carlsbad caverns in a couple weeks. and a trip to mammoth is planned sometime within the next year.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

As you may be able to tell by my name, I am a caver. I too would recommend checking out the NSS and contacting grottos in an area you may be visiting. Some may be helpful, others not. Generally you will find that cavers are very secretive about cave locations. If they don't know you, you may not have much luck on finding wild caves. You may be able to get info on commercial caves that may be near the trail. I would expect the only places where you may be going through karst areas will be in Va. and WVa.

Images

We went into one just South of Eckville Shelter (PA) on the AT. Wingfoot's book says its "The trail to the Pinnacle - at mile 961.5 from Katahdin" It's supposedly a "secret," but we found it and went spelunking. It wasn't any thing special and after a 100 yards in or so we turned around (we were on our bellies). You may want to check it out when you pass by...

Default pinnicle cave PA

love it ,learn it, live it.best climb on the trail.cool chimmney move up 50 feet to exit cave.smaller cave within 100 yards. marked on rock in spraypaint,secret entrance.this is a graded 5.1 climb.exillerating and doable for kids and firsttimers. sit on pinnicale rock and enjoy the veiw,climb the cave a few times in a row. its like a park ride. loads and loads of fun. ask any PA hiker.

Default climb pennsylvainia by la siesta press

page 8.pinnicle rock.cave rated 5.3.use appalachian trail from eckville.enter the cave from a crack in the rock on the sw face.stem upward to opening in the ceiling.the chimminey is rated 5.2

I've heard Eric Rudolph is very knowledgeable on caves located in the Nantahalas! Local Bear hunters are too.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

also been to the great Stumphouse Tunnel in Walhalla, SC many times. a cave, but manmade.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Crozet Blue Ridge Tunnel passes under Rockfish Gap (approximately) link: http://www.vtunderground.com/other/blueridge.htm

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Not a spelunking cave. But definitely kind of cool are the caves near Piazza Rock. See photos 377-383. Also some fun caves to poke around are just off the AT in Grafton Notch on the blue spur Table Rock Trail. Then going further south - there are plenty of holes to swallow a leg or two in the famous Mahoosuc Notch.
    Aaron

Can you dig it?
    Images

the best cave associated with the trail is at Konnarock Crw base camp. There's a map and everything, its pretty cool. but dangerous! don't get lost or hurt

Images

Default Historical Cave

Back in the 1930s there was a woman who used to travel to the Presidentials from Germany to hike. Emily Klug was a nurse and was considered a bit eccentric as she never stayed at any of the huts or normal campsites. Instead over the years she had constructed shelters across the White Mountains, and kept her gear rolled up in her long skirts. She was very near sighted so she would take pictures with her camera and then when she got back to Germany, have them developed so that she could examine them with her poor eyesight. Her story was written up many years ago in the Appalachia periodical and on occasion Goggle will pop one up a reference. Anyway, WWII stopped her trips, and she never came back after the war.

One of her "caves" can be seen and entered if you are careful of the Alpine vegetation in the area, and here is where to see it.

At the junction of the Crawford Path and the Mt Monroe Loop at the south end, there is a big boulder shaped like the prow of a ship. Simply put your back against the boulder's prow and look directly up at the Monroe Loop trail. You will be looking right into the big rock overhang that constitutes the roof of "Emily's Cave".

I have spent quite a few hours, and one rainy night in her "cave" with it's great view of the Southern Presidentials.

I heard about her "cave", and her from the 1939 Hutmaster of Madison Hut about 20 years ago. I try and visit her Emily's cave every summer, and may stealth there this summer on my way SOBO just for Auld Lang Syne.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    also been to the great Stumphouse Tunnel in Walhalla, SC many times. a cave, but manmade.
    Dude, that's an oxymoron! ~wink~

If it's manmade, it's a mine or tunnel.

If it's made by nature, it's a cave.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    love it ,learn it, live it.best climb on the trail.cool chimmney move up 50 feet to exit cave.smaller cave within 100 yards. marked on rock in spraypaint,secret entrance.this is a graded 5.1 climb.exillerating and doable for kids and firsttimers. sit on pinnicale rock and enjoy the veiw,climb the cave a few times in a row. its like a park ride. loads and loads of fun. ask any PA hiker.

I have some pictures of this one under my logo
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think there are too many caves on the AT in Tennessee. Then most of the caves in Tennessee are privately owned, or tourist traps.

There is Bristol and Appalachian Caverns near Holston Lake.

There is a very famous cave that I visited below Allen Gap in the Cedar Creek community outside of Greeneville. Cedar Creek Cave is supposedly haunted by the spirit of a mean old hermit who had a squirrel as a pet. However, the most recent owners closed the cave to visitors fearing injury lawsuits.

But from what I understand the Cumberland Trail has a number of caves.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Not exactly caves, but - if you are interested in old mines that have been closed for years or maybe decades go to http://www.catspaw-minerals.com/Masmils%20PLUS.htm and check out the mas/mils plus CD. Take a little side-trip while on a hike to see what most others would never discover accidentally. Thousands of abandoned, closed, and long-lost mines are everywhere if you know where to go. But you do need a GPS to find them. Check it out. I have used it, it really works. The site says it is verified to work with Delorme Topo, but it also works with other mapping software. I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in this offering. Just passing along the information to those who might like old mines.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

page 8.pinnicle rock.cave rated 5.3.use appalachian trail from eckville.enter the cave from a crack in the rock on the sw face.stem upward to opening in the ceiling.the chimminey is rated 5.2
    CAUTION: this area has more than it's share of copperheads. Also, as you enter the main "room" of this cave, there is a small wing off to the left - a belly crawler - with a very large, very loose ceiling rock. Be careful!

Not far from the Pinnacle, there is a commercial cave: Crystal Cave. Was there once 20 years ago. There's also one in Hellertown (near Allentown), but I forget the name...also a commercial cave.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    CAUTION: this area has more than it's share of copperheads. Also, as you enter the main "room" of this cave, there is a small wing off to the left - a belly crawler - with a very large, very loose ceiling rock. Be careful!

Not far from the Pinnacle, there is a commercial cave: Crystal Cave. Was there once 20 years ago. There's also one in Hellertown (near Allentown), but I forget the name...also a commercial cave.
    The name of the other commercial cave is (was?) Lost River Caverns. Speaking as a member of the board for a couple of caving organizations (note avatar), I'd like to repeat what was said about the NSS...and secretiveness.
    (Philly Grotto; Cave Conservancy of Hawaii)

That being said, and without divulging actual locations, Clingman's Dome in TN and High Point in NJ have significant caves...

Images

Default where?

is there a map to this cave? been up there 20 times or so. know of no cave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++