I have planned a group hike on the MST in the GSMNP this weekend. I was relying on the official Park Service "Great Smoky Mountains Trail Map," the latest NatGeo GSMNP map, and the "Bible" little brown book "Hiking Trails of the Smokies." All of which describe and/or show the MST on the Mingus Creek Trail coming out on Hwy 441 near the Oconaluftee Visitor Center. Thus, I planned our hike that way.

However, today I ran across a "Friends of" web site that has an online inter-active map that shows the MST taking the Newton Bald Trail and coming out on Hwy 441 at Smokemont. I used the Search function on that site for "Mingus" hoping to find info about a change from Mingus to Newton. Nada. Zilch.

So, which is it? If a change was made, any info on when? Why doesn't the "Friends of" site have a news release, update notice, correction, ANY info on this significant and recent (?) change? Was I just being dense and over-looked it somehow? (wouldn't be the first time)

Anyway, we do want to hike the actual MST. Any good advice/info appreciated. We're headed over Friday. Some will start that afternoon from Hwy 441 (others from Clingmans Dome Road).

Thanks in advance!