WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    "discussion" involves pros and cons - sounds like you feel opinions that you do not agree with should be excluded
    This is the "Sticky" for this forum. Perhaps you missed it:

This forum is for the discussion of trail running, speed and/or long hiking days, and related activities.

A forum for the discussion and celebration of those who enjoy being out all day and the physical challenges that the trails can offer.

There are many ways to enjoy the outdoors. Lower mileage and more camping or town time is the traditional way. Many of us prefer to simply be out all day and do minimal camping and less town time.

While healthy debate can be constructive, this forum is not for the purpose of debating the merits of long or fast travel on the trails.

If you do not prefer to hike all day or run the trails...that's cool. A person can say why they prefer one form of enjoying the outdoors without disparaging another form. A person may prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla ice cream. That does not mean vanilla ice cream sucks.

Those who insist their way is the one, true, correct and absolute way to enjoy the outdoors many want to read this document.

Happy Trails..no matter how you enjoy them!

Paul Mags (moderators)

He has certainly endured a heap of super-crappy weather.

RoadID page shows 238.4mi total and 39.73mi/day avg. He'll need some sustained very nice weather to begin moving the needle in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    He has certainly endured a heap of super-crappy weather.

RoadID page shows 238.4mi total and 39.73mi/day avg. He'll need some sustained very nice weather to begin moving the needle in the other direction.
    Make sure you read that mileage total and average correctly. At the END of day five, last night, he was at 237 miles, for an average of 47.4 miles per day. What you are seeing with the 39.73 average is including his 6th day, which has just begun. At the time of writing this he is at 254 miles, so he has ran 17 miles on his 6th day, and his per day average will only be a true reflection when he finishes his day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    This is the "Sticky" for this forum. Perhaps you missed it:

This forum is for the discussion of trail running, speed and/or long hiking days, and related activities.

A forum for the discussion and celebration of those who enjoy being out all day and the physical challenges that the trails can offer.

There are many ways to enjoy the outdoors. Lower mileage and more camping or town time is the traditional way. Many of us prefer to simply be out all day and do minimal camping and less town time.

While healthy debate can be constructive, this forum is not for the purpose of debating the merits of long or fast travel on the trails.

If you do not prefer to hike all day or run the trails...that's cool. A person can say why they prefer one form of enjoying the outdoors without disparaging another form. A person may prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla ice cream. That does not mean vanilla ice cream sucks.

Those who insist their way is the one, true, correct and absolute way to enjoy the outdoors many want to read this document.

Happy Trails..no matter how you enjoy them!

Paul Mags (moderators)
    Thank you for the reminder. We all use trails with different intents. I prefer to run because that’s what I do. That does not mean I view hikers disparagingly. The vice versa should be true as well. I get very upset when someone accuses me and runners that we aren’t enjoying nature. I enjoy nature and revel in the peaceful solitude as much as anyone. My heart rate may be a bit higher, and I may be going a bit fast at some points, but I can still take in all aspects of the trail. It’s a big part of the reason I started running trails. For anyone to take on trail running, especially at the degree of the AT, they have to have that sense of enjoyment for the trail and outdoors. Otherwise they would stick to the roads.

When it comes down to it hiking and running really isn’t that much different, especially in a long distance run. I’ve heard hikers argue about being upset when being passed by runners. I’d venture to say hikers pass hikers as well, since there are different levels of fitness within hikers. Any other argue “against running” can be addressed as well but what it comes down to is the lack of open mindedness and realizing there are different ways of doing things. Obviously we all would agree ATV’s and other modes of travel should not be allowed on the AT, but running? Running is virtually the same as hiking.

I got that directly off the Road I.D. page this morning around 6am EDT.

Here is a screenshot from less than 5 minutes ago:

harvey_lewis_01.jpg

I checked FB this morning and didn't see further updates. I signed up for the Road ID updates but have gotten no email pings. But thanks for the explanation as to how they're counting the mileage... I assumed they waited until the day's run had ended to calculate.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-04-2018 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I got that directly off the Road I.D. page this morning around 6am EDT.

Here is a screenshot from less than 5 minutes ago:

harvey_lewis_01.jpg

I checked FB this morning and didn't see further updates. I signed up for the Road ID updates but have gotten no email pings.
    Yeah I bet he started his day before 6am. The average restarts after midnight so the average isn’t a true reflection at that point.

Good to hear he's progressing nicely, all things considered.

He and the few other rare individuals who can do this are truly amazing. If I somehow forced myself to cover this kind of mileage for one day I'd be dead or at least in the hospital.

I'm late to the party. But I'm in. I look forward to following along.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenRunning View Post
    ... We all use trails with different intents. I prefer to run because that’s what I do. That does not mean I view hikers disparagingly. ...
    When it comes down to it hiking and running really isn’t that much different, especially in a long distance run. ...
    I'm in the same camp, so to speak -- I prefer distance running on trails more than hiking, and when I hike, I prefer to do as many miles as possible per day to the extent that if it's a gradual descending slope, I don't mind a bit breaking into a slow run while carrying my pack. That said, if others prefer to hike at a much, much slower pace and spend more time in camp, that's great too and I hope they enjoy every second of it.

On a totally different matter, Road ID is a local company based in northern Kentucky. They make great products. Over the years, I've bought 3 wrist Road IDs and one dog tag ID. None of them broke or wore out, I just bought that many 'cause my information changed.

FYI. I am not sure if my spreadsheet with mileage data is up to date, but it is close.

Location Day Total Miles Day Miles MPD
    Springer Mtn/AT Southern Terminus 0 0 0 0
    Unicoi Gap/GA Hwy 75 1 52.3 52.3 52.3
    Rock Gap Shelter/USFS Rd 67 2 105.4 53.1 52.7
    Stecoah Gap/NC Hwy 143 3 150.3 44.9 50.1
    Clingmans Dome Tower 4 199.6 49.3 49.9
    Davenport Gap/NC Hwy 32 5 238.7 39.1 47.7

I found the daily records for Stringbean's run on FKT. So I updated the spreadsheet to track Harvey vs Stringbean's paces.

Harvey StringBean
    Day Location Total Miles Day Miles MPD Location Total Miles Day Miles MPD Ahead of Pace
    0 Springer Mtn/AT Southern Terminus 0.0 Springer Mtn/AT Southern Terminus 0.0
    1 Unicoi Gap/GA Hwy 75 52.3 52.3 52.3 Low Gap Shelter 42.6 42.6 42.6 9.7
    2 Rock Gap Shelter/USFS Rd 67 105.4 53.1 52.7 Standing Indian Shelter 85.7 43.1 42.9 19.7
    3 Stecoah Gap/NC Hwy 143 150.3 44.9 50.1 Nantahala, NC/US Hwy 19/74 136.5 50.8 45.5 13.8
    4 Clingmans Dome Tower 199.6 49.3 49.9 Spence Field Shelter/Eagle Creek Trail 183.3 46.8 45.8 16.3
    5 Davenport Gap/NC Hwy 32 238.7 39.1 47.7 Cosby Knob Shelter 230.7 47.4 46.1 8.0
    6 Log Cabin Rd 290.8 52.1 48.5 Hot Springs, NC/NC Hwy 209 274.3 43.6 45.7 16.5

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I found the daily records for Stringbean's run on FKT. So I updated the spreadsheet to track Harvey vs Stringbean's paces.

Harvey StringBean
    Day Location Total Miles Day Miles MPD Location Total Miles Day Miles MPD Ahead of Pace
    0 Springer Mtn/AT Southern Terminus 0.0 Springer Mtn/AT Southern Terminus 0.0
    1 Unicoi Gap/GA Hwy 75 52.3 52.3 52.3 Low Gap Shelter 42.6 42.6 42.6 9.7
    2 Rock Gap Shelter/USFS Rd 67 105.4 53.1 52.7 Standing Indian Shelter 85.7 43.1 42.9 19.7
    3 Stecoah Gap/NC Hwy 143 150.3 44.9 50.1 Nantahala, NC/US Hwy 19/74 136.5 50.8 45.5 13.8
    4 Clingmans Dome Tower 199.6 49.3 49.9 Spence Field Shelter/Eagle Creek Trail 183.3 46.8 45.8 16.3
    5 Davenport Gap/NC Hwy 32 238.7 39.1 47.7 Cosby Knob Shelter 230.7 47.4 46.1 8.0
    6 Log Cabin Rd 290.8 52.1 48.5 Hot Springs, NC/NC Hwy 209 274.3 43.6 45.7 16.5
    Great data. I had never seen Stringbean’s numbers. Where did you find them?

I have Jurek’s written down somewhere and I’m pretty sure he’d be ahead of where Harvey is currently. So Stringbean busy have crushed the second half.

Looks like Harvey settled in for day 7 at Highway 19W / Spivey Mountain Road.

Great data. I had never seen Stringbean’s numbers. Where did you find them?

I have Jurek’s written down somewhere and I’m pretty sure he’d be ahead of where Harvey is currently. So Stringbean busy have crushed the second half.
    He posted a link to them on a FKT Forum post.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/post/5426/thread

Cool to track once more.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    No commercial events allowed in Baxter. He'll have to stop at the Abol Stream footbridge.
    I doubt it. Simply having sponsors support a hike shouldn't prevent someone from ascending Katahdin. Could you show which rule you're referring to that he would be breaking? https://baxterstatepark.org/rules-and-permits/

Anyway, good luck to Harvey and glad to see the live tracking.

Am I seeing that Harvey moved about 59 miles today? His tracker has updated within the past half hour and it’s midnight. Looks like he’s almost to HWY19E/Rt. 37.

Am I seeing that Harvey moved about 59 miles today? His tracker has updated within the past half hour and it’s midnight. Looks like he’s almost to HWY19E/Rt. 37.
    He started yesterday early at Spivey Gap/US 19W (5:30 AM) and got to US 19E at 11:00 PM. That is 62 miles in 17.5 hrs, which is 3.5 mph. Maybe he was making up for a bad day on Tuesday, when he only covered 42 miles. Were there weather problems down there on Tuesday?

Images

Holy cow! The fact that he's able to track his progress and post it in real-time like that is almost as amazing as his crazy fast progress. I hope my wife never finds out about this technology...
    It's all good in the woods.

Default Harvey Lewis - 2018 AT Supported FKT Attempt

Spotted Harvey today at 2:00 at Dennis Cove Road. Appeared in good spirits.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++