WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A guy who goes by babelfish5 (AKA hungry hiker) has some pretty good dehydrated recipes on youtube. I've made two of them and both were good. One was bbq'd spaghetti - different but good and the other was a spicy chicken stew sort of thing - don't remember the name. The chicken stew was also good.

Correction babelfish5 also goes by hungry hammock hanger. The stew is aztec chicken stew.

I’ve started fermenting and made some killer kimchi and have southwestern kraut bubbling away. Has anyone tried dehydrating their fermented foods? My guess is that low-heat dehydrating will preserve the good microorganisms.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I’ve started fermenting and made some killer kimchi and have southwestern kraut bubbling away. Has anyone tried dehydrating their fermented foods? My guess is that low-heat dehydrating will preserve the good microorganisms.
    Are you on Judies FB Dehydrating page? I will send your Name in.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Are you on Judies FB Dehydrating page? I will send your Name in.
    Got a link to that page? Sounds interesting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Got a link to that page? Sounds interesting.
    'Dehydrating Backpacker Food'

Thanks! Just requested to join.

Images

Thanks! Just requested to join.
    Judy makes awesome tents to!

Oh, this is Judy Gross?

Images

Oh, this is Judy Gross?
    Yes indeed!

OK equal time for the carnivore option. Avoid insulin spikes and crashes, and eventual T2D. High satiety, low hunger. Protein is the key! Burn you own body fat. Low inflammation and ancestrally approved.

We made wonderful breakfasts using dried steak or hamburger, mixed with dehydrated whole eggs and dehydrated cheddar cheese (or dried parmesean). Many possible combinations.

Lunch? Elephant ear jerky made from carne asada, well spiced but no sugar.

Dinner? Steak or hamburger mixed with dried vegetables and more dried cheese powder. Spices. Many variations possible. Dribble on some olive oil.

Very lightweight (1.5 lbs/day for two), nutritious, avoiding the low protein sugar-laden carby garbage hiker fare (never again Little Debbie!. Prioritizing protein is especially important if you are over 50. For more info https://www.thepediet.com/ (no conflict, although full disclosure the author is my doctor).

I much prefer the ova easy freeze dryed eggs as opposed to the dehydrated.

Agree on Ova Easy being the best backpacking eggs.

For dehydrating, my method is to make something I like at home, then dehydrate it in the dehydrator - any big pieces of stuff needs to made smaller than you might usually go with so it dehydrates and rehydrates more quickly. So for spaghetti and meatballs for example, I cut up the meatballs into lots of small "mini-meatballs" before mixing them with the noodles and sauce and then dehydrating.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I dehydrate kimchi - it's fantastic - it does get hotter after it's dried! One night, I didn't have any soup packets, so I made kimchi soup - it was perfect! I add some of the dried kimchi to all my meals.

I have a DIY backpacking food group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/6109...?ref=bookmarks (please answer all the questions - i try to keep out folks that are not back country campers.)

Finally broke down and bought a used Excalibur on eBay last night. Looking forward to trying out new meals soon!

Images

Finally broke down and bought a used Excalibur on eBay last night. Looking forward to trying out new meals soon!
    Every once in a while food particles may get stuck on the fan or heating element and prevent in from operating.

Turn it on end and give the back near the mechanism a few light taps to loosen them up. I normal shake it out regularly now to avoid this.

My 4 tray is 5 years old and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Every once in a while food particles may get stuck on the fan or heating element and prevent in from operating.

Turn it on end and give the back near the mechanism a few light taps to loosen them up. I normal shake it out regularly now to avoid this.

My 4 tray is 5 years old and works great.
    Good to know - thanks for that tip! This one's a 9 tray. I'll probably never need that capacity, but I figured since I was buying into a unit on this level it would be nice to have it available. $120 shipped seemed pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I dehydrate kimchi - it's fantastic - it does get hotter after it's dried! One night, I didn't have any soup packets, so I made kimchi soup - it was perfect! I add some of the dried kimchi to all my meals.

I have a DIY backpacking food group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/6109...?ref=bookmarks (please answer all the questions - i try to keep out folks that are not back country campers.)
    cool! That sounds delicious.

I found a source (Sandor Katz, The Art of Fermentation, pg 26) that says to not subject lactic acid bacteria cultures to heat above 115*F/47*C if you want to preserve their health benefits.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 01-03-2020 at 08:10.

These are great ideas. Thanks!

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

How about dehydrating hamburger meat (ground beef)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++