WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    OK equal time for the carnivore option. Avoid insulin spikes and crashes, and eventual T2D. High satiety, low hunger. Protein is the key! Burn you own body fat. Low inflammation and ancestrally approved.

We made wonderful breakfasts using dried steak or hamburger, mixed with dehydrated whole eggs and dehydrated cheddar cheese (or dried parmesean). Many possible combinations.

Lunch? Elephant ear jerky made from carne asada, well spiced but no sugar.

Dinner? Steak or hamburger mixed with dried vegetables and more dried cheese powder. Spices. Many variations possible. Dribble on some olive oil.

Very lightweight (1.5 lbs/day for two), nutritious, avoiding the low protein sugar-laden carby garbage hiker fare (never again Little Debbie!. Prioritizing protein is especially important if you are over 50. For more info https://www.thepediet.com/ (no conflict, although full disclosure the author is my doctor).
    I think you're the person I'm looking for. How do you dehydrate ground beef? What kind of dehydrator do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I dehydrate kimchi - it's fantastic - it does get hotter after it's dried! One night, I didn't have any soup packets, so I made kimchi soup - it was perfect! I add some of the dried kimchi to all my meals.

I have a DIY backpacking food group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/6109...?ref=bookmarks (please answer all the questions - i try to keep out folks that are not back country campers.)
    My favorite meal on a recent BP trail was a package of organic ramen noodles with spicy kimchi seasoning and dehydrated kimchi. Awesomely delicious!

I dehydrated the kimchi on low and slow to preserve it’s goodness...115* for roughly 14 hrs, maybe 16. IDK, I lost track of time, just kept turning on the dehydrater until it was done. Beware, it will make your house smell pungent...very, very pungent...for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan "Guido" Jordan View Post
    I think you're the person I'm looking for. How do you dehydrate ground beef? What kind of dehydrator do you use?
    I’ve found it’s best to mix 1 lb lean ground beef with 1/2-1 cup of breadcrumbs, cook in the skillet, blot excess oil, and dehydrate on 145-150* for approximately 6-8 hrs. (Time and temp is approximate...adjust as needed.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++