WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dehydrated Recipes

Hey everyone, I am planning on using dehydrated food and freezer bag cooking. Does anyone have any good recipes for this style of cooking? I have a cook book dedicated to it, but it doesn't have much variety. I am going to start experimenting soon to get the formula down. Thanks!

I recently purchased the Harmony House Backpacking Kit. It is a variety of freeze dried and dehydrated foods. My plan is to make my own mixes in ZipLocs. The bases will be couscous, quick cook brown rice, or mashed potatoes. I will experiment with the beans (different varieties) to see if they can be bases also. I will then add vegetables, different ones or mixtures. Finally spices and olive oil.

I also have powdered cheese and powdered eggs (forget the brand but not Harmony House as I believe they are vegan) for protein and absorbing any excess water. Tuna or salmon can also be added. I don't eat meat so won't be adding it.

I don't really plan on particular recipes, just prepare to be able to reconstitute with 2 cups water and have enough calories.

I dehydrate all my backpacking meals and use a nifty 10 tray TSM machine.

My basic premise is to prepare meals at home you really like to eat---refried beans, chilis, brown rice, grains, spaghetti, soups, baked sweet potatoes ETC and don't eat these meals but dry them for your trip. Most anything you like to eat as a meal at home can be dehydrated. Exceptions---pizza, ice cream etc.

Your next option is to buy canned foods you like---soups and whatever---and dry them.

Check out my Kitchen keyword pics which show several pics of stuff I've dried---
    https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/kitchen/

Quote Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
    Hey everyone, I am planning on using dehydrated food and freezer bag cooking. Does anyone have any good recipes for this style of cooking? I have a cook book dedicated to it, but it doesn't have much variety. I am going to start experimenting soon to get the formula down. Thanks!
    I have stockpiled quite a few things.. one of my favorites is chili and rice ( with beans). My chili is protein-packed because i use at least 3 different kinds of beans ( black, navy and pinto) and i add corn kernels also. Mix chili with cooked rice, cut some parchment paper to fit your trays ... leave a margin for airflow if you have a top-fan model; measure out a 1 or 1 1/2 cup portion to either side if the tray and dry thoroughly.. i also have done jambalaya, ground meat which i have dried seperately and mixed ( in the bag) with a bit of dry gravy mix, instant mashed potatoes, and dried vegetable or combo you want... i also add a TB or so of whole dried milk, or maybe a spoonful of a powdered cheese.. i have also dried spaghetti sauce & noodles.. either ( precooked) elbow macaroni, another short type, or regular... beef stew.. make it the way you like it, be sure your pieces are 1/2 inch or smaller, cut a parchment paper "tray" to fit your dryer trays, ladle it out and dry it.. canned chicken dries well.. they say that home-cooked and cut chicken doesn't rehydrate as well as canned ( either store-bought or home pressure-canned) chicken does.. maybe, maybe not, but the nutritional content is there.. i have even dried chopped cooked ham to add to the other ingredients of my choice... or you can buy packs of sliced lunch ham, slice into strips or dice it and use it in anything that sounds good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Spaghetti
    Chili
    Sloppy joe in tortillas
    Tuna/shells in mushroom cream soup
    Burritos/tacos
    Mac cheese beefy chili etc
    Cheesy rice w/ broccoli

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I dehydrate all my backpacking meals and use a nifty 10 tray TSM machine.

Most anything you like to eat as a meal at home can be dehydrated. Exceptions---pizza, ice cream etc.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/kitchen/
    Damn. Ice cream pizza is my favorite meal of all!

Guess I need to rethink my strategy.

Love the ideas. I have one question - how do you prepare the dried burritos on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post

Try this: Cook/get your favorite hot pizza---cut in thin strips---place on trays---pour melted ice cream over pizza---dry thoroughly.

In the field place dried wad in pot with just enough water to rehydrate. Voila! Pizza and ice cream---or pizza marinated in a sort of milk shake.

Love the ideas. I have one question - how do you prepare the dried burritos on the trail?
    Except for a few rock hard beans, I either eat them as a snack out of the ziploc or when I'm cooking up a dinner of soup I add a dried burrito to the soup and it reconstitutes great.

It must be said that all my ideas are from a vegetarian stand point---no experience with dehydrating meat for field use.

Journal Entries

Dried beef/taco seasoning
    Dried Refried beans

Rehydrate
    Put on tortilla with cheddar cheese and
    Taco sauce pack

My latest kick is ordering cases of Amy's organic refried beans and process 6 or 7 cans for a trip by spreading out on my silicone sheets and ziplocking up.

At home I cook up a big pot of organic brown rice with salt and olive oil and once done and cooled I use a big blender and blend up the cooked rice with water added to help in blending. Then I dry this mess in sheets and ziploc. Blended brown rice works much better than the hard kernels of dried cooked rice.

For a backpacking meal I put the refried beans and rice in enough water to bring to a boil and let sit in my pot cozy for 30 minutes---voila dinner.

Here's the Amy's---
    91SeV0s5XEL._SL1500_.jpg

TSM Machine? Do you have a link for it?

Just Google TSM Dehydrator.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

https://www.backpackingchef.com/

I recommend checking out this website and his book if you haven't already. There are some good recipes to start with and you can experiment from there. He also covers the drying processes and such. I learned a lot just by trying some of these recipes and packaging ideas. I also have Lipsmackin' Backpackin', not a horrible book.

You can really make just about anything. You can get a pound of organic dehydrated egg powder on amazon and on other sites as well. I really enjoy making some rehydrated scrambled eggs and cheese and bacon and peppers and onions and... sorry I get excited about food.

I found that canned chicken still doesn't rehydrate super well if you leave it in large chunks. I recommend breaking it down more before dehydrating. Ground beef is really good if done right.

Beans are an easy thing to use and add some great flavor, nutrients, and texture to a dish.

By far my favorite thing to add is dried sliced tomatoes. When they rehydrate some, it adds a whole other level to a dish while I hike.

In that book, there is also a pretty great breakfast recipe with mashed sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and dried apples. SOOOOOO good.

Sorry again, I get excited about food and planning my meals for shorter trips (3-10 days) is one of my favorite parts of getting ready.

You don't have to think too hard. Just lyophilize. You can freeze-dry ice cream.

YouTube on how to make your own freezedrier

or

You can buy a commercially made one here for less than the price of a new car.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by randall_mcduberson View Post

By far my favorite thing to add is dried sliced tomatoes. When they rehydrate some, it adds a whole other level to a dish while I hike.
    I went thru the Dried Tomatoes phase a couple years ago---

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dried beef/taco seasoning
    Dried Refried beans

Rehydrate
    Put on tortilla with cheddar cheese and
    Taco sauce pack
    Was specifically wondering about the prepackaged frozen burritos that Tipi has on his SmugMug - they appear to be sliced and then dehydrated.

Was specifically wondering about the prepackaged frozen burritos that Tipi has on his SmugMug - they appear to be sliced and then dehydrated.
    Yes, once dried they become crunchy like granola etc. It's fun to go to a grocery store and find crap I can take home and dehydrate for my next trip. It's easier to buy the stuff than to prepare it at home and then dehydrate it---

These soups are excellent and dry out into thin hard sheets and quickly rehydrate in the field---

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1536&bih=732

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    My latest kick is ordering cases of Amy's organic refried beans and process 6 or 7 cans for a trip by spreading out on my silicone sheets and ziplocking up.

At home I cook up a big pot of organic brown rice with salt and olive oil and once done and cooled I use a big blender and blend up the cooked rice with water added to help in blending. Then I dry this mess in sheets and ziploc. Blended brown rice works much better than the hard kernels of dried cooked rice.

For a backpacking meal I put the refried beans and rice in enough water to bring to a boil and let sit in my pot cozy for 30 minutes---voila dinner.

Here's the Amy's---
    91SeV0s5XEL._SL1500_.jpg
    I never thought about blending cooked rice.... Good idea!
    One of my life goals is to get a freeze dryer... no more problem.... bring whatever you like....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++