WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern MA to MA/CT Border Hike

Hi All,

I have an extra day/night on the end of a trip back east coming up in two weeks, and thought I might see if I could knock out a section from Jug End Rd to Laurel Ridge Campsite. I'll be a little rushed on day one to get there after work, so an out-and-back might not work. Is there an easy-ish way to access the trail via side trails get as close to Laurel Ridge as possible? (I would find a shuttle to get me from one end to the other.) Then stay at Laurel Ridge overnight and hike the 9mi or so back to the car in the morning.

Any concerns over leaving a car at the Jug End Rd parking overnight?

Thanks!

Jug End is fine for your car, I've left mine there multiple times and for more than a single night.

I'm not sure why Laurel Ridge is your desired over-night location, how firm are you one that? It is not particularly close to a side trail. You can stay at Sages Ravine or Race Brook falls if you want a shorter hike from a side trail.

i agree with JT, is there a reason for laurel ridge? the three options i know of are the race brook trailhead, undermountain trailhead or the state line trailhead on mt washington road. of the three i would probably vote for the state line trail just because you have a chance of catching the tail end of the rampant mountain laurels in the area.

The only thing I see which might work is to take the Elbow trail from RT41 to the AT, (1.5 miles, likely fairly steep), then 0.7 miles south to the Hemlocks shelter - a really nice shelter in a nice setting, but lacks tent sites. Getting there is probably within reason for an evening start - but you'd have be on the trail by about 6:30 to get there with some daylight left. Glen Brook shelter is 0.1 mile closer, but is a bit run down, but there are tent sites there.

The next day hike out to Salisbury. That's 14 miles, but is really the most practical point to exit that stretch. Plus you hit all the highlights along there - the views from the open ledges of Mt Rice, Sage Ravine and the highest point in CT, Bear Mountain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The next day hike out to Salisbury. That's 14 miles, but is really the most practical point to exit that stretch. Plus you hit all the highlights along there - the views from the open ledges of Mt Rice, Sage Ravine and the highest point in CT, Bear Mountain.
    Yup. Sage advice. Pun intended, even though it's actually sages ravine.

Journal Entries

To answer you directly no not really. There is a abandoned road from 41 that does that starts near Rock Stream (the stream by the campsite), but it is on private property and I have no clue as to it's conditions.

If you want a very easy in, though with extra driving, the trail from the other side of the mountain to Sages Ravien campsite is the way to go. It adds about 1.5 miles to your next day but is wonderful and not much more then a flat walk with one minor climb along the way.

Also for the above posting, The Hemlock shelter is a great modern shelter (bunks and loft) however the ground is slanted and bad for tenting. The nearby Glen shelter is old and small, but has plenty of flat ground. They should indicate that on the sign as they are so close together.

Salisbury is the logical ending, and this is one of the most scenic parts of the trail, so should be experienced as one stretch ( during my thru I did this in a day, was wonderful and higher then the CT mosquitos flew. There is a shorter out via a side trail to a park but really it's not that much further and easy going to complete the ridge to town. If you have not done it yet I would suggest the section further north, and saving this section for when you can do it in one shot (though if you can do the shuttle to Sages campsite it really is nice). You can start on R23 (or even Buel Road) - both have good parking, though limited at Buel, and it's a short hike up to the Tom Lenard Shelter, then you can go as far as Jug End, or stop when you want. Great Barrington has taxi service which can access those trailheads easy, or since it's a trail town it's not a bad hitch.

Finally by getting Avenza app you should get (buy) NYNJTC map 107, South Taconic. It has the entire section and is very detailed.

Yeah, its silly, but I lived out that way for a little over a year, and hiked almost all of NY, CT, & MA. Except a short section between Jug End Rd & Laurel Ridge campsite and MA23 to I90. I stayed at Laurel Ridge but came in from CT and did Bear Mtn and had intended to do the section from the other way. But lost my job and moved before I got the chance. So I'd like to knock those two sections out while I happen to be out there on a rare trip. And the only way I can see to fit it all in is to start after work, which makes an out and back not really feasible for an evening start (I'd start hopefully by 5pm, but realistically it'd be 6).

So not really any reason to stay at Laurel Ridge specifically. Sages Ravine would work too. Is the state line trail from Mt Washington Rd useful, easy to find, etc? I've had some bad luck with side trails in the past (DAMHIKT). That may be the best option?

Thanks everyone!

You are shuttling from your car at Jug End to Mt Washington Rd, correct? I've never come in that way myself since getting their by car seemed non-trivial, but a shuttle driver will know how to handle that. It meets the AT pretty much where the Paradise Lane trail meets it and is a stone's throw from Sages Ravine. Anyone have a map handy that shows which is shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coleman View Post
    Is the state line trail from Mt Washington Rd useful, easy to find, etc? I've had some bad luck with side trails in the past (DAMHIKT). That may be the best option?
    it is definitely useful, quite direct and fairly flat. there is an AMC cabin along the trail which i guess is why the trail exists. once on the trail you won't lose it but the turnoff is easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. climbing out of sages ravine (SOBO) you will pass the paradise lane junction and then do a little more gradual climbing. the trail levels for a minute or two before beginning a steeper rocky climb up bear mt. the junction will be a right turn in this flat (and often wet) spot, so if you are climbing again you went too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    You are shuttling from your car at Jug End to Mt Washington Rd, correct? I've never come in that way myself since getting their by car seemed non-trivial, but a shuttle driver will know how to handle that. It meets the AT pretty much where the Paradise Lane trail meets it and is a stone's throw from Sages Ravine. Anyone have a map handy that shows which is shorter?
    from the junction of the paradise lane trail and the AT near sages ravine it is 1.0 (.3 AT, .7 connector) miles to mt washington. it is 2.9 (1.7 paradise lane, 1.2 undermountain) to rt 41 at undermountain.

Thanks Tom & GE!
    It looks like its only a 10min drive difference for Mt Washington Rd vs Undermountain. I may just play it by ear, park at Jug End regardless, and pick a trailhead depending on what time I get there. If we wrap everything up at work by 2pm, I may as well get in some views on Bear Mountain!
    Thanks again everyone!

Journal Entries

Again the above mentioned South Taconic Trails map on Avenza app can be used for that. You can see your location real time and the parking area/trail head. As for shutteling, yes it may be only a extra 10 minutes, but for the shuttle driver it may be less convenient and longer for them as they will one way or another have to go around the mountain range there and back. Not a biggie but just want to warn you about potential sticker shock.

++ New Posts ++