WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Sources - Buena Vista to Reid's Gap section

Can anyone verify the condition of the water sources on this section? Although the AT data guides indicate springs, etc., I have learned the hard way local knowledge beats data books everytime! Also, will welcome any personal knowledge about this section. I plan to hike this area in a few weeks. Thank you all

You mean Reed's Gap? That is a pretty dry section and some of the sources are iffy or a ways off the trail. Fill up where and when you can. Keep in mind the climb up Three ridges is a ball buster - do it in the morning when it's still reasonably cool out. That is a climb you don't want to do in the afternoon and once you leave Harpers Creek, you will have no water until the next shelter on the other side of the mountain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You mean Reed's Gap? That is a pretty dry section and some of the sources are iffy or a ways off the trail. Fill up where and when you can. Keep in mind the climb up Three ridges is a ball buster - do it in the morning when it's still reasonably cool out. That is a climb you don't want to do in the afternoon and once you leave Harpers Creek, you will have no water until the next shelter on the other side of the mountain.
    Very good info here, it is a pretty good climb up 3 ridges, and best done starting at daylight.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I can't give you first hand info, but seeing as I live about an hour SE of there I can tell ya that VA (and most of the SE) has had a way above normal amount of rain in the last couple of months. So likely anything that could have water in it probably does at this point.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

You'll be fine. I did that stretch in reverse last spring and there was water all over. As mentioned above, those areas have been poured on for a while now. Now, come August...it drys up badly and can really suck. I prefer coming out of 3 ridges vs going down it, but it is steep. Thankfully, it's one of thos rare climbs that is rewarding.

I went down Three Ridges last and it was a real knee cruncher. I found pint bottle of Fireball liquor on a tree stump about 3 switchbacks up from the shelter. It had a shot or two missing, but other wise full. I picked it up and carried it down to the shelter where several of us finished off the bottle. I figure it was the only thing someone had to ditch to lighten the pack a little. Or got to the top and said "what happened to my bottle of fireball?!".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Did the AT / Mau-Har Trail loop about a month ago. After leaving Harper's Creek and heading north on the AT, I found one tiny trickle of water coming out of the base of a tree, but didn't see water again until I got to the Maupin Shelter (which was flowing nicely, and we've had a ton of rain since then).

This is great info. I've heard plenty accounts of how brutal the northbound hike up three ridges and will prepare as best I can.. I'll be hiking my own hike and hope there's enough in my tank get to the summit and still have enough to enjoy the views.. and will heed the the advise of starting in the morning. Thanks again

++ New Posts ++