WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Altra Timp sizing help

I have a pair of Lone Peak 2.5 in size 11
    Olympus 2 in size 11.5

Both in men’s US size.

Want to get a pair of timps. What size would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

I tried on both LP & Timps M's size 11.5 and found them to be pretty darn close to each other; no major size difference. I have been using Altra's since the original One model more then 5 years ago and have run multiple marathons in Torins, Paradigms and started to use the Vanish for track use so I feel confident with their sizing. I also found the LP to be roomier in the toebox compared to the Olympus.

I would say stay with the LP size of 11's.

I first bought a pair of Timps in size 11 and loved them, except for their “adequate but not impressive” durability. My right foot 2nd and 3rd toes are prominent and larger than my left foot. When it was time to replace my Timps, I decided to try out the Lone Peaks but found that my right foot really needed a size 11.5. The Lone Peaks are more durable than the Timps, but I found myself wearing my old and beat up Timps more than my newer Lone Peaks. So I recently cashed in on my REI dividend and bought a new pair of Timps in size 11.

Bottom line: for me, the Timps felt more true to size and I ordered my normal size. The Lone Peaks seemed to be slightly smaller and I went up .5 size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A. Boyce View Post
    I tried on both LP & Timps M's size 11.5 and found them to be pretty darn close to each other; no major size difference. I have been using Altra's since the original One model more then 5 years ago and have run multiple marathons in Torins, Paradigms and started to use the Vanish for track use so I feel confident with their sizing. I also found the LP to be roomier in the toebox compared to the Olympus.

I would say stay with the LP size of 11's.
    Was there a size difference in the Lone Peak 2.5 to 3.5?

My Altras are pretty close to the same size. Paradigms, Provisions, Lone Peaks. If anything, I think the Lone Peaks might be a bit too roomy in the toe box. Sometimes, on high angled rocks, I found my forefoot slipping a little, side to side, inside the shoe. Maybe the mesh needs to be a little stiffer in the forefoot area?

The current Lone Peaks (3.5) are running a bit small (as are the current Olympus) due to a few tweaks.

As far as I understand this has universally been disliked by most customers and the next iteration (lone peak 4.0 showing up probably August) will be in line with pst iterations as far as sizing goes.

Aside from all that the Timp (and the Superior, which is built off the same last) should run a tad snugger. Altra built these as a more “performance” shoe/fit.

The lone peaks and the Olympus (also sharing a last) are more all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    The current Lone Peaks (3.5) are running a bit small (as are the current Olympus) due to a few tweaks.

As far as I understand this has universally been disliked by most customers and the next iteration (lone peak 4.0 showing up probably August) will be in line with pst iterations as far as sizing goes.

Aside from all that the Timp (and the Superior, which is built off the same last) should run a tad snugger. Altra built these as a more “performance” shoe/fit.

The lone peaks and the Olympus (also sharing a last) are more all around.
    Thanks Shrewd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Thanks Shrewd.

You got it

I had to get Superior 3.0 and Timp 1/2 size larger than LP 3.0

Also, Superior uppers started shredding quickly, less than 200 mi, and I'm not hard on shoes. I've got about 250 on the Timps and they look good so far.

++ New Posts ++