WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Transportation to Harper's Ferry - cheapest option

I live in Houston and want to do a week long Harper's Ferry SOBO section hike at the beginning of July. What do you recommend for transportation from here to the trail? I'm prioritizing cost, including any shuttle cost, for round-trip transportation. Thanks in advance for pointing me in a direction to start looking!

- Clever

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Easiest & least expensive

The cheapest way to get to Harpers Ferry is to fly into Washington, and then take the train to HF -- either Amtrak or MARC.
    https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...ule-060118.pdf
    https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...ar13_small.pdf
    MARC is almost certainly less expensive, but note that it runs ONLY on weekdays.

Arrange a shuttle from HF to where you want to start your trip, then hike back to HF and take the train back to Washington.

You may have to spend a night in HF, but that should not be difficult to arrange.

Images

Just throwing this out there as an another option. Don't rule out Dulles,VA. (IAD) airport, which often offers cheaper flights than National.
    Also, it is easier to take a shuttle to Dulles from the AT . It's literally 40 miles from Harpers Ferry to IAD.
    It's been 7 years since I did this so check the rates . If the flights are cheaper into Dulles from Texas, a shuttle or Uber might be more convenient, saving an overnight stay in Harpers Ferry
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I don't know how far south you plan on hiking, but you may want to look at the new bus service from DC to Blacksburg which includes stops at Dulles and Front Royal. http://www.catchthevabreeze.com/ It might be easier and cheaper to leave from Front Royal than to go back to Harper's Ferry to catch the train back to DC.

Since you only have a week, flying is the only option. Look for deals now. It cost me $12 to take Amtrak from Union station DC to HF, but I booked that ride a month in advance. Last minute it's more like $25.00.

If the 7 days includes travel time, Front Royal would be the logical end point. Several shuttles work out of Front Royal. That section is home to the infamous "roller coaster" a series of closely spaced 500 foot bumps in a 14 mile line. Don't underestimate these in the heat and humidity of early July.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Don't forget the other Washington airport BWI. It is a hub for Southwest Air and you can take the train from the airport to DC to connect to the train to HF or bus to Front Royal, or wherever. Another plus, BWI has a crab cake restaurant.

++ New Posts ++