WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Potato Soup

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    And to the point, nobody here is a "Food Nazi". ............
    I guess food proselytizer be more accurate.

Definition of proselytize. proselytized; proselytizing. intransitive verb. 1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith. 2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I guess food proselytizer be more accurate.

Definition of proselytize. proselytized; proselytizing. intransitive verb. 1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith. 2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause.
    We're not the only ones proselytizing about certain foods. Not to say all dehydrated potatoes are junk food---but check out Lawton "Disco" Grinter's take on trail food---I think it's relevant in a discussion in the Cooking and Food forum---

". . . .2 pounds of gummy bears per day will get you nowhere on the trail. Nowhere but sick. Junk food is best avoided. We all know what junk food is too. Keep it out of your backpacks as much as possible. Focus on bringing foods with ingredients you can pronounce. Less is more! A popular brand of corn chips I take routinely on the trail contains 3 ingredients: corn, corn oil and salt. I don’t need the Google Translate app to understand what those ingredients are."

Check out the full thing here---
    https://sectionhiker.com/trail-food-...disco-grinter/

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Dehydrated scalloped potato mix from the grocery store makes a good base for potato soup. Add jerky or bacon bits, spinach leaves, corn, peas whatever. You can make a hearty chowder that really hits the spot after a day of hiking in cool weather.
    Thank you for the idea! I look forward to trying it!

Bear Creek instant soups are very good, they have a potato variety also....found at Kroger and Wal-mart.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    We're not the only ones proselytizing about certain foods. Not to say all dehydrated potatoes are junk food---but check out Lawton "Disco" Grinter's take on trail food---I think it's relevant in a discussion in the Cooking and Food forum---

". . . .2 pounds of gummy bears per day will get you nowhere on the trail. Nowhere but sick. Junk food is best avoided. We all know what junk food is too. Keep it out of your backpacks as much as possible. Focus on bringing foods with ingredients you can pronounce. Less is more! A popular brand of corn chips I take routinely on the trail contains 3 ingredients: corn, corn oil and salt. I don’t need the Google Translate app to understand what those ingredients are."

Check out the full thing here---
    https://sectionhiker.com/trail-food-...disco-grinter/
    Quote from article you posted:

"You’ll notice that I have not gotten into a big discussion about what types of food to eat, how many calories/day, nutritional value, etc. There are volumes of books and web information on the specifics of “what to eat” and a discussion of that nature would create a post the length of Atlas Shrugged. And more importantly, “what to eat” is largely a matter of personal preference and taste."

You eat what you want and I will eat what I want but please don't criticize others choices just as they don't criticize yours.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

What if all natural ingredients listed their chemical makeup?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-if-natu...ent-1503320184

I can’t pronounce these either! I am an Idahoian spud fan. Add lots of butter. Yummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    What if all natural ingredients listed their chemical makeup?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-if-natu...ent-1503320184

I can’t pronounce these either!
    Big Nature at it again.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    How long do you have to cook the potatoes before they re-hydrate and get tender? How much water do you use?
    Honestly I don't remember. I experimented on the countertop at home and remember that if you soak them for a while in the water it significantly cuts the cook time. Its an easy to determine recipe but you have to just try it at home first - you can guess and be pretty close on the first try.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    And to the point, nobody here is a "Food Nazi". Yes, we have a choice. We can let corporate America feed us whatever poisons they put in our food, or we cannot. that is our choice.
    Agreed. However, labeling chemical ingredients in food as poisons is a bit inflammatory. The ingredients are based on science and science isn't always right in the long run. I don't believe that the people who work in corporate america food supply companies are evil bastards hoping to harm people. Intentionally killing off your customers is a pretty bad business model. ecoli and salmonella are both completely natural and you won't find either of them on any food label yet they kill unsuspecting people every year who think they are eating natural healthy foods.

Turds are full of all natural ingredients but I would decline to eat one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thx for the idea Litetrek. Indeed, to each their own Foodie choices. I'm not consuming that stuff personally. I do know some of the ingredients are bad. Yes, different folks do know different degrees of knowledge than others on varying topics. I'm sure there are 7.6 billion people that know more or differently than me on an infinite number of topics. BUT, the idea is solid. Run with the idea and tweak as personally desired. I don't know why this is so hard nearly every time someone shares a recipe idea?
    Personally, I use Frontier Soups Potato Leek Soup, the sliced rather than cubed potato version. I've seen two versions. Instead of making a soup I make it less watery by adjusting down the water added to it doing scalloped potatoes with leeks au gratin - trail style. This brand is widely available even in WallyWorlds. Add some other potatoes(potatoes are everywhere! even dehydrated sliced ones), cheese(if that's your thing), jerky, bacon bits, etc. I add powdered coconut milk and maybe some cheese and fresh scallion. Goes good with foil packets of tuna in EVOO too. It doesn't have as much sliced potatoes though as the boxed brands of Idahoan or Betty Crocker(crappy stuff from Betty Crocker anyway, IMO). If you look at those brands most of what you get is a glompy sauce designed in a food science laboratory of whatever not sliced potatoes either.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Homemade-...-of-8/17353123

Ingredients: Potato Cubes And Slices, Onions, Leeks, Celery, Scallions, Herbs.

If making a soup I get two soup meals out of one package.

Nice. Your idea is even better. Mine was intended to be based on something you can buy just about anywhere including the dollar store - that was the point ...simple, cheap, lightweight, filling, widely available. My daughter gave me the trail name fancyfeast because I like to put a good meal on after a day of hiking. Granted the idea is a processed food but presumably backpackers are intelligent creative people who can think for themselves and do their own thing .... mine was just an idea intended to spark that backpacker creativity.

Nice. Your idea is even better. Mine was intended to be based on something you can buy just about anywhere including the dollar store - that was the point ...simple, cheap, lightweight, filling, widely available. My daughter gave me the trail name fancyfeast because I like to put a good meal on after a day of hiking. Granted the idea is a processed food but presumably backpackers are intelligent creative people who can think for themselves and do their own thing .... mine was just an idea intended to spark that backpacker creativity.

exactly, that's the way your OP was intended and that's what people IMO could and should be focused upon...not personal food politics. Not everyone always wants to hear a litany of unsolicited food criticisms at every given recipe.

After sayin that, Fancyfeast is a cat food. I aint puttin that in any kind of potatoes...unless I go down in a plane in the Andes with a soccer team and it's cat food or the leg of the deceased Goal Tender that was sitting in the seat next to me.

One thing to add is the thicker the dehydrated sliced potatoes the less they get crushed but the longer they take to cook. I assume most are like me. When I expect potatoes au gratin I want some sliced potatoes not cheesy cottage cheese like mashed potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    exactly, that's the way your OP was intended and that's what people IMO could and should be focused upon...not personal food politics. Not everyone always wants to hear a litany of unsolicited food criticisms at every given recipe.

After sayin that, Fancyfeast is a cat food. I aint puttin that in any kind of potatoes...unless I go down in a plane in the Andes with a soccer team and it's cat food or the leg of the deceased Goal Tender that was sitting in the seat next to me.

One thing to add is the thicker the dehydrated sliced potatoes the less they get crushed but the longer they take to cook. I assume most are like me. When I expect potatoes au gratin I want some sliced potatoes not cheesy cottage cheese like mashed potatoes.
    My trail name has double meaning. I made an alcohol stove from a fancyfeast cat food can that I used for a while and that's when I got the name. I don't use the stove much anymore but the name stuck.

Funny, when I saw the thread title I wouldn't have imagined such controversy inside!
    My first thought was:
    Easy, add too much water to your instant mashed potato mix and you've got potato soup! :P

I guess I’m going to have to waste time, fuel, potatoes and dried veggies trying to figure this out.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Turds are full of all natural ingredients but I would decline to eat one.
    So true!! And made me laugh.

Agreed. However, labeling chemical ingredients in food as poisons is a bit inflammatory. The ingredients are based on science and science isn't always right in the long run. I don't believe that the people who work in corporate america food supply companies are evil bastards hoping to harm people. Intentionally killing off your customers is a pretty bad business model. ecoli and salmonella are both completely natural and you won't find either of them on any food label yet they kill unsuspecting people every year who think they are eating natural healthy foods.
    well, here's what science says;
    Nitrates are linked to various cancers
    High fructose corn syrup use in food correlates to the obesity epidemic in America
    Hydrogenated oils are linked to heart disease
    Antibiotics in animals (to accelerate growth, no to treat disease) contribute to antibiotics-resistant bacteria.

it is not proselytizing, it is science.

Images

Nitrates also are naturally in beans and save people from heart attacks.

If your goal in life is to avoid cancer, enjoy that. My goal is to live well and die of cancer.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Images

Dehydrated scalloped potato mix from the grocery store makes a good base for potato soup. Add jerky or bacon bits, spinach leaves, corn, peas whatever. You can make a hearty chowder that really hits the spot afterv a day of hiking in cool weather.
    Thank you, I'm going to give it a try :-)

Yes, I would agree with all of those points. However, eating something with any of those ingredients occasionally doesn't concern me and applied science is my profession, although I am not a scientist. Bill Nye the science guy is a person with a masters degree in engineering (aerospace I think - maybe mechanical); applied science. He is not a scientist yet everyone listens to him as if he is some sort of genius scientist mainly because he supports their views.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++