WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Potato Soup

Just sayin. Bill Nye has a Bachelor of Science(BSc) in Mechanical Engineering degree. That's considered a science...applied science...often referred to as engineering science. Bill Nye is a scientists, science educator and, by earning of his BSc degree, is by fact a scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Just sayin. Bill Nye has a Bachelor of Science(BSc) in Mechanical Engineering degree. That's considered a science...applied science...often referred to as engineering science. Bill Nye is a scientists, science educator and, by earning of his BSc degree, is by fact a scientist.
    Not the definition of scientist I learned in school. A science teacher is not a scientist nor is a doctor or engineer. Just because someone applies science that does not make that person a scientist The simplest way to tell the difference is that doctors, engineers etc. use existing knowledge to solve problems such as curing a patient or making a new widget whereas scientists expand our knowledge of the world around us. "A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, making a hypothesis and testing it, to gain and share understanding and knowledge."
    Last edited by TexasBob; 06-18-2018 at 11:48.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Not the definition of scientist I learned in school. A science teacher is not a scientist nor is a doctor or engineer. Just because someone applies science that does not make that person a scientist. "A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, making a hypothesis and testing it, to gain and share understanding and knowledge."
    interesting how it says nothing about excepting money for, contracted out or accredited by his fello’s, anyone can apply those principals...even a layman with a strong interest on subject unavailable to them for a mired of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    interesting how it says nothing about excepting money for, contracted out or accredited by his fello’s, anyone can apply those principals...even a layman with a strong interest on subject unavailable to them for a mired of reasons.
    whoops! Myriad

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    You are right. Lots of examples of amateur scientists discovering new knowledge in their spare time.

Well, I have 8 years of engineering school and a couple of engineering degrees and I do not consider myself to be a scientist. Most of my PhD friends who are scientists would be quick to point out that engineers apply science they are not scientists. Same goes with math. Engineers apply advanced math but it does not make them mathematicians. My point with the Bill Nye example was to be careful who you take Science advice from. They may not know what they are talking about.

Does anybody know how to make potato soup?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Does anybody know how to make potato soup?
    Wayne
    I do, but potatoes are terrible for ya
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I do, but potatoes are terrible for ya
    A good laugh is never a bad thing.
    Would a kale and quinoa soup be acceptable? 👍😄 Organic of course. We all know that inorganic food is never good for us.
    Wayne

Not the definition of scientist I learned in school. A science teacher is not a scientist nor is a doctor or engineer. Just because someone applies science that does not make that person a scientist The simplest way to tell the difference is that doctors, engineers etc. use existing knowledge to solve problems such as curing a patient or making a new widget whereas scientists expand our knowledge of the world around us. "A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, making a hypothesis and testing it, to gain and share understanding and knowledge."

That's a quote directly from a Yahoo on line forum asking the question "what is a scientist?" It's an incorrect narrowed representation of what Medical Doctors and Engineers can do in their careers. To suggest either of these professions in their many subsets can't or don't "expand our knowledge of the world around us" is rubbish.

I just want to know how to make potato soup with a JetBoil in the middle of nowhere.
    It ain’t rocket science or brain surgery.
    Wayne

That's a quote directly from a Yahoo on line forum asking the question "what is a scientist?" It's an incorrect narrowed representation of what Medical Doctors and Engineers can do in their careers. To suggest either of these professions in their many subsets can't or don't "expand our knowledge of the world around us" is rubbish.
    When they use the scientific method to discover previously unknown knowledge then they are acting as a scientist otherwise they are not scientists but just practicing their craft. I used to be a science teacher so I am confident what I have said is true however you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with you.

Journal Entries

I just want to know how to make potato soup with a JetBoil in the middle of nowhere.
    It ain’t rocket science or brain surgery.
    Wayne
    Boil about 1 cup of water to 1 packet of Idahoan (or the like) potatoes. When the water starts the rolling boil, remove from heat and dump the packet of potatoes in. Actually, instead of dumping, kind of sprinkle all around for more even distribution and faster absorption. Just let it set a minute or two. The stir with a fork, to get the lumps out. Then (if you want to) add Butter buds, bacon bits, dehydrated veggies, whatever... again, stir and wait a minute or so. Then Eat!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

To me, my definition, a scientist is someone doing research.

As a chemical engineer I've done a lot of research, and have patents to show for it. Saying Engineers aren't scientist is ..... Not correct.

Real research results today do not come from a wild haired old man working with a chemistry set in a lab.... They come from corporations with dozens of people working towards a goal, and dozens of corporations in the same industry pursuing it. With cumulative results shared through years or decades even. And yet some would say there's no scientists involved..... They have no idea how the world works. There's not much money to be made doing things people already know how to do. Everybody's work is focused on doing things cheaper or better, breaking new ground, with improved products or processes.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-19-2018 at 15:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Boil about 1 cup of water to 1 packet of Idahoan (or the like) potatoes. When the water starts the rolling boil, remove from heat and dump the packet of potatoes in. Actually, instead of dumping, kind of sprinkle all around for more even distribution and faster absorption. Just let it set a minute or two. The stir with a fork, to get the lumps out. Then (if you want to) add Butter buds, bacon bits, dehydrated veggies, whatever... again, stir and wait a minute or so. Then Eat!
    Thank you!
    I promise not to read the ingredients label!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

As a chemical engineer I've done a lot of research, and have patents to show for it. Saying Engineers aren't scientist is ..... Not correct.

Real research results today do not come from a wild haired old man working with a chemistry set in a lab.... They come from corporations with dozens of people working towards a goal, and dozens of corporations in the same industry pursuing it. With cumulative results shared through years or decades even. And yet some would say there's no scientists involved..... They have no idea how the world works. There's not much money to be made doing things people already know how to do. Everybody's work is focused on doing things cheaper or better, breaking new ground, with improved products or processes.
    Silly Putty!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Making a better widget doesn't make you a scientist it makes you a clever and inventive engineer. Congratulations on your patents but that doesn't make you a scientist either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Thank you!
    I promise not to read the ingredients label!
    Wayne
    Add some gnocchi to that mix? Actually you could probably just do broth, gnocchi, dried veggies, maybe a little powdered milk
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

When they use the scientific method to discover previously unknown knowledge then they are acting as a scientist otherwise they are not scientists but just practicing their craft. I used to be a science teacher so I am confident what I have said is true however you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with you.
    That's a common modern belief. It does have it's origins 100's of yrs ago with some scientists but not all science follows or can be construed to pass the scientific method which is based only on a physical understanding of the Universe, namely the philosophy of empiricism. Empiricism is what the scientific method is based. Knowledge(and science that strictly follows the scientific method) only is acquired through the 5 senses. The philosophy was named by philosopher John Locke. Through history noted scientific discoveries and scientific fields haven't always been rooted in empiricism. In the past, and even now, scientists could be better labeled also being philosophers. Empiricism creates a problem applying the scientific method when scientists don't have physical measuring tools/devices to measure events or knowledge that may not be easily understood in only a physical(sensual) based reality...when realities beyond the 5 senses may exist.

There's not always a clear consensus among scientists in regard to a great many aspects of science. Some scientists become defensive of their scientific fields.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++