WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Potato Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That's a common modern belief. It does have it's origins 100's of yrs ago with some scientists but not all science follows or can be construed to pass the scientific method which is based only on a physical understanding of the Universe, namely the philosophy of empiricism. Empiricism is what the scientific method is based. Knowledge(and science that strictly follows the scientific method) only is acquired through the 5 senses. The philosophy was named by philosopher John Locke. Through history noted scientific discoveries and scientific fields haven't always been rooted in empiricism. In the past, and even now, scientists could be better labeled also being philosophers. Empiricism creates a problem applying the scientific method when scientists don't have physical measuring tools/devices to measure events or knowledge that may not be easily understood in only a physical(sensual) based reality...when realities beyond the 5 senses may exist.
    Science and philosophy are not the same. Science is based on the scientific method which starts with an observation that leads to the formulation of a hypothesis which is tested by experimentation, data collection and data analysis which leads to a conclusion that either supports or rejects the hypothesis. Science only deals with the physical universe which can be measured or observed. Some things are not testable by science and fall outside the realm of science. I think we would both agree that not all knowledge and understanding is science based. I think you and I could have some interesting discussions while cooking potato soup around a campfire.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Not bothering me. Just amazed at how our culture has transformed into being told what to do by everyone and everyone thinking they know more than everyone else. Its unbelievable. My idea for soup was a helpful tip to anyone who wanted it. My comment would be if you don't like the suggestion don't do it. The labels are there for everyone to read and if you can believe it I READ THEM and made my own decison. If you read a food label and are concerned about what's in the package then its your option not to eat it.
    I'm planning on doing the AT in a couple of years, and any help I can find, I'll take. I just tried some Idahoan mashed potatoes, and they tasted much better than the potato buds we used to suffer with. I'm looking forward to making single serve food packs from what ever sources I can find, and try before it's time to pack and hit the trail!

Idahoan are the way to go for sure. I don't skimp on potatoes, because the others just taste so bad. If I do need to get generic versions, then I go for regular plain potatoes. I've found that it's the additives that make it taste horrible. As for my personal favorite, I like the Idahoan baby red roasted garlic and parmesean flavor. That one ticks all of the boxes for me. Another thing to look for is potato pearls. I would mix a bulk package of pearls with a bulk package of flakes for your own trip (unless you plan to just buy from the store).

Since I'm bringing up this older thread, I'll leave some important information for anyone looking to make the cheapest soup in bulk. I am a wholeseller with frontier coop. I suggest that you do the same https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/membership/ There are some specific reasons that I suggest this. First, you'll save off a ton of product as you can buy the frontier labeled bulk products at a great price. Second, it's only 10 bucks for a lifetime membership. If you look at a pound of Veggie Broth, No-Chicken Broth, or No-Beef Broth, it's only 7 dollars for an entire pound. I also suggest a pound of Onion Soup and Dip mix for 7 Dollars. You might even want a pound of gravy mix for 7 bucks. Once you compare this to what you get in the store, the value is undeniable.

Also, a pound of freeze dried veggies with potatoes is 9 bucks, and without potatoes is 10 bucks a pound.
    Last edited by Trambo; 01-23-2019 at 15:07.

Images

but...but...but...Mountain House is the bestest ever :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++