WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Congrats and thank you for posting. A few questions, if you have time: (1) how did the temps strike you? (2) did you get rain/thunderstorms? (3) how many miles did you do each day? and (4) where did you camp/shelter each night?

Journal Entries
    Images

Planning on section hiking over a long weekend at the end of July between Davenport Gap(I40) and Sam's Gap (I26) myself
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    Congrats and thank you for posting. A few questions, if you have time: (1) how did the temps strike you? (2) did you get rain/thunderstorms? (3) how many miles did you do each day? and (4) where did you camp/shelter each night?
    Thanks! No problem, I'd be glad to answer your questions.

1. I found the temperatures tolerable. I was covered in sweat during the steep uphills but other than that I didn't really think about it. I even left my rain jacket on after it stopped raining once because it was downright cool.

2. It rained/stormed all 3 nights and for about half the day on Friday and Saturday. Nothing too rowdy, I never felt in danger or anything.

3/4. Day 1 I went from the Fontana "Hilton" Shelter to Sassafras Gap Shelter, 22 miles. Day 2 I went to Cold Spring Shelter covering 18 miles. Day 3 I went to Long Branch shelter and pounded out 23 miles. Last day I went 17 miles to Deep Gap. There were only 2 - 0 people at the shelters I stayed at and I probably encountered an average of 10-12 hikers a day.

I found the first 2 days more difficult than the last 2, with a lot of steep climbs like going from 1000 feet to 4000 feet in a couple miles. The second two days stayed up at higher elevations and the climbs were more gradual. I brought food to get me to the NOC and re-supplied there. It seems like a lot of miles from most people I talked to, but I stay in pretty good shape and did more exercise than normal leading up to this. My favorite highlight was probably Wayah Bald. I saw a bear, 3 black snakes, 2 owls, 3 turkeys, and a rabbit. I'm already planning my next trip
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by zachzz12 View Post
    Planning on section hiking over a long weekend at the end of July between Davenport Gap(I40) and Sam's Gap (I26) myself
    Nice. You'll have a blast. I'll probably get up there once I finish the GA section.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I did a 4 night hike around GSMNP over the 4th...

Temperatures at the upper elevations were great... but like Slugg said, still drenched with sweat climbing mountains.

Bugs were a hit-or-miss thing. Some places were terrible, others were not a problem. And you can NOT expect fewer bugs at higher elevations. Out in California, the JMT has terrible mosquitoes during the "bug" season, and you're talking average elevations of 10,000'. So 6,000' found in the mountains of TN/NC are NOT going to get you high enough to get away from bugs.

Rain was a hit or miss... but I carried a $3 light-weight umbrella from WalMart. So long as the rain isn't a windy storm (or the forest a deep brush cover), the umbrella keeps your head dry, and even most of your pack if you hold it right, and there isn't any jacket with better ventilation than wearing no jacket.

I live in the Deep South at relatively low altitude (600 feet). It's crazy hot and humid here from June well into September. So the high country of the Southern Appalachians is a treat in comparison. At 4,000 to 6,000 feet, the temperatures are usually wonderful. It's even been cool a few times, including a July '09 stretch at Standing Indian and a brisk night at Jerry Cabin Shelter in '14. But, of course, the those same temperatures might be brutal to folks who live in the Mountain West or Northeast. So I might give certain advance to a person from Atlanta or Florida but different advice to those from New Hampshire or Wyoming. For the former, the Southern Appalachians in summertime are never "too hot."

Journal Entries
    Images

nice miles, hoping to do approximately the same
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

Trans Zion hike.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++