WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I understand killing rattlesnakes, and other venompus critters, close to the homestead or barn, but it pisses me off when any wildlife, including snakes, is senselessly killed because someone doesn't like them when on PUBLIC land where they have a right to be and are a thriving and necessary part of the eco system (I saw two dead just today because of peoples' prejudice).

Any animal can and will twitch after death and I have heard of jaws of snakes clamping shut after they have been beheaded just like the rest of their body moves after decapitation. I've seen it in dear too.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I understand killing rattlesnakes, and other venompus critters, close to the homestead or barn, but it pisses me off when any wildlife, including snakes, is senselessly killed because someone doesn't like them when on PUBLIC land where they have a right to be and are a thriving and necessary part of the eco system (I saw two dead just today because of peoples' prejudice).

Any animal can and will twitch after death and I have heard of jaws of snakes clamping shut after they have been beheaded just like the rest of their body moves after decapitation. I've seen it in dear too.
    I totally agree. I put snake killers up there with . . . well, you don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post

its electric!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YZJt_Bw3eo

Google search reveals that "[a] single vial of antivenom that would cost more than $14,000 in the United States". The poor guy had 26 antivernom, and that means 26 x $14K = $364K for antivenom alone. Welcome to Amerika!

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    Google search reveals that "[a] single vial of antivenom that would cost more than $14,000 in the United States". The poor guy had 26 antivernom, and that means 26 x $14K = $364K for antivenom alone. Welcome to Amerika!
    You forgot to consider the wholesale bulk quantity rate discount

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    You forgot to consider the wholesale bulk quantity rate discount
    More than $14,000 a pop is what the hospital charged the patient, according to the article.

it was a joke

They will keep moving after they are dead!

Images

There is a video on you tube of a decapitated copperhead biting itself.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Those cats were cool. They'd probably make it so the rattlesnake wouldn't want to stick around permanently, den, or breed anyhow. Let the snake pass through. If you see it again safely relocate.
    We don't have to knee jerk kill all the time to solve our problems. These creatures are valuable even if we don't understand how. Not every creature has to be a human's playtoy like kitty.

Where's the exhibition of forbearance - patient, self-control; restraint and tolerance?

Property, landscaping, vehicles, house, carport, the kitties, etc, are neat, tidy, orderly, formally controlled, and scrupulously maintained, almost antiseptic appearing. Those are signs of anal control freaks. See something not fitting that mindset remove, kill, or alternate so it does fit the picture. No wonder.

I generally will not kill a snake unless it is venomous and too close to the family living space.Last one I killed was in my garage.My wife would never notice it and my 5 yr old grandson would want to play with it so it had to go.I did think about moving it but figured it might return since it found a nice warm place.

I killed a Massasauga at work many years ago. I cut off its head with a hoe on my lunch break and decided I wanted to take the body of it home to skin it. I found a cardboard box and put it in my passenger seat. I drove home and opened it up, it was still moving. It did make a nice looking hat band, though.

The few times I've encountered rattlers they either slithered away or I walked around them. Fascinating creatures, really.P5200269k.jpg Had my birding on the camera this time.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Thanks for posting this!Could explain why a froggy old guy like me feels like kicking up my heels after drinking electrolytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Thanks for posting this!Could explain why a froggy old guy like me feels like kicking up my heels after drinking electrolytes.
    What happens if we introduce electricity?
    Ex Frog.png
    Last edited by CalebJ; 01-15-2019 at 11:01.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++