Default Planning a trip with a nervous mom

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of planning my first trip where I'm in charge, and I need some advice. I've been doing sections of the AT for a few years with my Venturing Crew (~350 miles under my boots) and I'm 20, which means I'm going to "age out" of the crew soon. I've decided it's time for me to transition to being in charge of myself on the trail, but I didn't want to go alone, so I invited my little sister with me (she's 17 and has spent 2 consecutive weeks on the trail with us last summer). We're planning on doing the Standing Indian Loop, since we only have 1 car and there's a lot of information about it online. I've already gotten the Appalachian Trail Guide for the section that Standing Indian is in, because I'm used to the format of this book.

But of course, there's an issue: my mother. She's worried about two women taking a trip on their own. I fully believe I can do it and I've been talking to my crew leader getting his tips about planning, etc (he's been taking groups of children on extended backpacking trips for decades). She just can't get over the idea of us not having a guy hiking with us.

Are there any tips you have about how to stay safe on the trail? Any words of wisdom to help me calm my mom? Also, if you know any extra info about the Standing Indian Loop, let me know! We're looking at probably doing the loop "clockwise" aka nobo.

**I made a typo: "Clockwise" for this loop is southbound! I picked that direction because it's in the same order as the book is written.

First, congrats on your decision to head out on your own. Here are some tips, based on my hiking experience (I'm 73, female, and have been sectioning the AT since 2006, almost all of it solo). I grew up at a time when athletic boys were supposed to lose to boys at sports so as not to make them feel bad. Those days are long gone, and I have met may young skilled and confident young female backpackers, and you will too, most likely.

Your mom is using a very old playbook.

If possible, hike when others will be on the trail, not mobs of others, but enough people for safety and interest. It should reassure your mom that most hikers are respectful to others and helpful if help is needed.

Send text progress updates to your mom if this would be helpful, but don't expect a response.

Leave a hike plan and a map for your mom, so she can follow your progress. Stress that the plan may change if circumstances warrant.

And tips for you:

Do NOT announce the dates of your hike online.

Do NOT announce where you'll be stopping for the day. "We haven't decided yet" is a perfectly acceptable response to the question, and probably true. If you arrive at a campsite/shelter and don't like the looks of it (mobs, drugs, drink, or other weirdness), just move on.

Way to stick with Scouting!

One possibility is to become a registered adult leader with your crew and then help lead them on a trek.
    You have certainly proven some leadership and planning by being a senior member of the crew as it is.

Agree with tiptoe - moms will always worry, but there are some steps you can take to minimize risk.
    Hiking with a male is no guarantee that there will not be trouble anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepishwolves View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of planning my first trip where I'm in charge, and I need some advice. I've been doing sections of the AT for a few years with my Venturing Crew (~350 miles under my boots) and I'm 20, which means I'm going to "age out" of the crew soon. I've decided it's time for me to transition to being in charge of myself on the trail, but I didn't want to go alone, so I invited my little sister with me (she's 17 and has spent 2 consecutive weeks on the trail with us last summer). We're planning on doing the Standing Indian Loop, since we only have 1 car and there's a lot of information about it online. I've already gotten the Appalachian Trail Guide for the section that Standing Indian is in, because I'm used to the format of this book.

But of course, there's an issue: my mother. She's worried about two women taking a trip on their own. I fully believe I can do it and I've been talking to my crew leader getting his tips about planning, etc (he's been taking groups of children on extended backpacking trips for decades). She just can't get over the idea of us not having a guy hiking with us.

Are there any tips you have about how to stay safe on the trail? Any words of wisdom to help me calm my mom? Also, if you know any extra info about the Standing Indian Loop, let me know! We're looking at probably doing the loop "clockwise" aka nobo.
    Have you read Gavin de Becker's Gift of Fear? I would recommend any teen or twenty-something (regardless of gender or activity plans) to read it. It's basically about trusting your instincts about people. If somebody bothers you and makes you uncomfortable just with their presence, there is probably a reason.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

One tool that can be helpful for some mom's and some of their fears is to carry a GPS tracking device like the Spot or Garmin InReach. Then your mom knows you have an SOS button you can push at any time for rescue. If you choose to enable it, they also allow your mom to follow you on a map so she can see your location at any time. And finally, if you use either the Garmin InReach or the new Spot-X, you can send and receive text messages without having to be within cell range.

Good luck. As noted above, having a guy around doesn't necessarily increase your safety. Having a partner can make a difference, and it sounds like you have that in your sister, and your sister has that in you. As has also been stated many times before, you are probably safer backpacking than you would be walking downtown in any major american city.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    First, congrats on your decision to head out on your own. Here are some tips, based on my hiking experience (I'm 73, female, and have been sectioning the AT since 2006, almost all of it solo). I grew up at a time when athletic boys were supposed to lose to boys at sports so as not to make them feel bad. Those days are long gone, and I have met may young skilled and confident young female backpackers, and you will too, most likely.
    Your mom is using a very old playbook.
    If possible, hike when others will be on the trail, not mobs of others, but enough people for safety and interest. It should reassure your mom that most hikers are respectful to others and helpful if help is needed.
    Send text progress updates to your mom if this would be helpful, but don't expect a response.
    Leave a hike plan and a map for your mom, so she can follow your progress. Stress that the plan may change if circumstances warrant.
    And tips for you:
    Do NOT announce the dates of your hike online.
    Do NOT announce where you'll be stopping for the day. "We haven't decided yet" is a perfectly acceptable response to the question, and probably true. If you arrive at a campsite/shelter and don't like the looks of it (mobs, drugs, drink, or other weirdness), just move on.
    This is GREAT advice!
    For what is worth... I am a Venturing Advisor - a female - and someone who has hike 950 miles on the A.T. - with a about half of that alone. As a parent, I appreciate your mom's concern. I know my husband has worried about me. Do what the poster above suggests! As a parent - and someone with experience hiking the trail - I would not have problem with my daughters hiking it - under the conditions above!
    Good luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    One tool that can be helpful for some mom's and some of their fears is to carry a GPS tracking device like the Spot or Garmin InReach. Then your mom knows you have an SOS button you can push at any time for rescue. If you choose to enable it, they also allow your mom to follow you on a map so she can see your location at any time. And finally, if you use either the Garmin InReach or the new Spot-X, you can send and receive text messages without having to be within cell range.
    Just a note about the above suggestion: tracking devices can be expensive to purchase and to pay subscription fees for.

On my most recent section hike, I rented a Garmin InReach from Outdoor Equipment Rentals (https://www.oerentals.com/) for a week. Still not cheap, but a lot less than buying one and paying for the subscription.

I plan to do this for future section hikes as well.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Thank you everyone for the advice! I found a good way to calm her nerves was to make a planning document on Google Docs and share it with my sister, parents, and crew leader. Once she saw that I was being diligent in preparing, she seemed to feel a bit better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kolokolo View Post
    Just a note about the above suggestion: tracking devices can be expensive to purchase and to pay subscription fees for.

On my most recent section hike, I rented a Garmin InReach from Outdoor Equipment Rentals (https://www.oerentals.com/) for a week. Still not cheap, but a lot less than buying one and paying for the subscription.

I plan to do this for future section hikes as well.
    Oh, I had never thought about renting them! A $300+ price tag is a bit too much but renting seems like a great option. I might look into that ResQLink since I don't think I'll be needing a full on GPS system - the loop is pretty well-worn and popular.

Journal Entries

Not a woman.

1. Congrats to you for breaking free
    2. You are talking about an overnight hike, right? 23 mi. Dont stress about it.
    3. Ive encountered a pair of 17 yr old girls, hiking alone in the sierra. People do it all the time. You are safer on the trail, than virtually anywhere else. Not saying dont be cautious, but no need to be paranoid. Hiking is largely an activity which requires some disposeable income, most participants are middle class and up. Violent criminals or people with nothing to lose, dont go out out hiking on trails looking for targets.

4. Good advice above
    Trust instincts
    Dont tell strangers where going
    You can always say your waiting for your friends, group, boyfriends, whatever if someone finds you alone and makes you uncomfortable. Most people sense it and give you space.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-14-2018 at 16:19.

Definitely don't tell people on the trail where you're staying, how long you'll be out, and feel free to even "lie" if somebody is giving you a bad vibe. I hiked at 25 with a 23 yr old girl and we ran in to all sorts, but the biggest thing was that most people looked out for each other. Its really cool. Have fun!

You are already a big girl and you have the right to decide what to do. Moms often prevent the development of their adult children.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I understand your mother's reluctance. I, a male, started hiking on the AT at 13 years old accompanied by another 13 year old. I don't think parents today would permit it. Parents worry, that is what we do. Trust your gut. If something feels wrong, believe it. Problems are rare. Don't let people you don't trust know your plans. Be flexible on camp sites.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

If you'd like to share it with your mom I write a blog and almost always hike solo...even did a post on backpacking solo. My trips can all be found under the Blogs In Order tab...hope it helps

https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...kpacking-trip/

++ New Posts ++