WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default duck duck goose per bag

How many geese’s/ducks/pick your plumage go into making a bag. The old saying “it was a three dog night” got me thinking, and I have no idea what it takes to makes say, a 20 degree rated bag and could one say “it was a 57 goose night”

As each goose probably has less than an ounce of down (maybe far less), I would say 57 is a good guess.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I read somewhere that it took 75 geese to make a down comforter.

Or one Eider 75 years? I wonder how much a 20 degree Eider down bag would cost?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Or one Eider 75 years? I wonder how much a 20 degree Eider down bag would cost?
    In ancient times, when they were a real outfitter, Eddie Bauer offered eider down as an option. I believe the premium wasn't ruinous.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Excellent thread! Thanks for asking the question!!

I had to do a little google research, but it's not even 8AM & I learned something today! I never heard of an eider or eider down that I can recall.

So it seems that the down from them is collected without killing the birds. Is goose or duck down also collected this way ever? I always thought it was a product of plucking after harvesting the animal.

Which brings another question to mind.... to harvest all the down used in our society, it would seem that quite a few birds are used..... but I certainly don't know ANY folks that eat goose, never remember seeing it in the grocery. Almost the same for ducks too, I am aware of a very small market for duck meat.... So where does it all go?

Northern Europe and China produce geese and ducks for food. Down is a byproduct.
    Here’s what I found online about Eiderdown prices: The price collapsed in 2010 to $375-$385 per kilo. That would have made a couple Hummingbird skinny 20 degree bags. I couldn’t find any current quotes for price.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++