WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ditto to what Map man said! After putting the male ego aside I learned to love my sun/rain umbrella.

I have an old Go Lite Chrome umbrella that I have been using for about 4 years. I would not go hiking without it.

I also use this to protect my legs.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/rain-kilt/

I strap my umbrella to my ULA pack on the right shoulder strap with the attached cords so I am hands free.

I hiked up to camp on top of Standing Indian Mountain in North Carolina this past weekend and the sky opened up as soon as I got out of my car at SI information booth.

People were pouring off the mountain as I hiked up the Kimsey Creek trail. It was raining so hard the water on the trail was above the tops of my shoes.

But with the umbrella and rain kilt, I was completely dry except for my hands and feet. I can't tell you how many people I passed who said they wanted my set up.

The kilt can be worn when raining hard so it vents in the back via a slit that goes down the length of the kilt so I had zero sweating issues on top or bottom.

I actually left the umbrella up and attached after the rain as it kept the water drops off me and also shielded me from the sun.

I also use the kilt as a pack cover in camp and as a wind screen for my legs in the winter when the winds are blowing.

Anyway, I can't recommend this combo enough. It is light, easy to deploy, and gives excellent protection without sweating you out.

As an added bonus, the umbrella comes in very handy in camp if raining so you aren't trapped in your hammock or tent.

Images

I carry a Chromedome both for sun in the desert and rain (mostly in the east). It's been a trip-saver when I've had back to back days of all-day rain. I particularly like that it keeps the rain from running down between my pack and my back as occurs with just a rain jacket. I still carry a rain jacket to protect my arms as I use two trekking poles, but I'm able to leave the rain jacket completely unzipped. In light rain or drizzle I sometimes forego the umbrella or the rain jacket. I have a couple short lengths of velcro that I loop through points on my shoulder strap and run the handle of the umbrella through those. I secure the loop at the end of the handle by running my pack sternum strap through that and use the adjuster to tighten the umbrella down or raise it up when it blocks my view of the trail ahead on a climb. I've been on some pretty rough sections of trail with the umbrella without too much damage to the umbrella.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Ditto to what Map man said! After putting the male ego aside I learned to love my sun/rain umbrella.
    so true
    even in the city, I usually sarcastically call my umbrella a parasol

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    so true
    even in the city, I usually sarcastically call my umbrella a parasol
    how does one successfully use a parasol on the trail...

practice practice practice!

Well folks I bit the bullet and got one. I went with the gossamer Gear Liteflex Chrome and for $39 its worth a try to me. One thing I have noticed is that no one that has tried an umbrella has said they have not enjoyed it. The hiker umbrella variety was overwhelming at first but then you notice that Liteflex makes several of the other brands and that brand slaps their name on it and sells it second hand. I chose the GG solely because it was $39 and GG had good reviews on shipping time. (I will get this 2 days after ordering). I will be taking this to PA in substitution of a rain jacket. It is gunna be 85-90 degrees out side and wearing a rain jacket does not seem fun for me in that so lets give it a try.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Well folks I bit the bullet and got one. I went with the gossamer Gear Liteflex Chrome and for $39 its worth a try to me. One thing I have noticed is that no one that has tried an umbrella has said they have not enjoyed it. The hiker umbrella variety was overwhelming at first but then you notice that Liteflex makes several of the other brands and that brand slaps their name on it and sells it second hand. I chose the GG solely because it was $39 and GG had good reviews on shipping time. (I will get this 2 days after ordering). I will be taking this to PA in substitution of a rain jacket. It is gunna be 85-90 degrees out side and wearing a rain jacket does not seem fun for me in that so lets give it a try.
    Just resist if they try to give you the trail name Mary Poppins.

-

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I bought a 4 oz totes purse umbrella at grocery store. It folds down to about 7 inches, fits in fanny pack, costs about 7$. Not reflective, no super solid, but is a cheap option to try out. It also lives in car and is handy for sudden showers. I have used it hiking with good results in rain, it also makes a good windscreen for stove. Has lasted about 5 years with occasional use. It’s helpful with Florida sun, even though it isn’t the fancy silver kind.

You will only know if it works for you if you try it out ;*) I would bring mine if rain is expected.
    I would like to get the scales this was weighed on - I think that using it would make all my gear lighter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++