WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping in Pine Grove Furnace State Park

We will be hiking north in PA for a weekend trip and a perfect stopping point for the night is in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park. I see there is a group tent camping area but i have a hammock so wondering if any of you have camped there - is it possible or if not are there are any areas to camp right before the park? thanks so much for your help!

Never needed to camp there, but have stopped for an early lunch. I got the impression the camping area was a bit of a walk from the trail (which goes right by the store) and it is often full of boy scouts (it was when we went by on a weekend in May).

The Tom Run shelters are only 3 miles before Pine Grove Furnace, why not camp there?

There's a campsite 1.7 miles past Pine Grove, but you'll find it occupied by thru hikers.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Been there many times hammocking is just fine plenty of trees in the group area, heck and all over the area

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Check for weekend vacancies first!

Weekend trip? If you mean the weekend of June 15-17, then be aware that the camp sites at this park are already heavily booked. On Friday 15th & Saturday 16th, for example, there is barely a spot to be found!
    https://tinyurl.com/y8b2k7md
    I've learned the hard way that it is NOT a good idea to arrive at Pennsylvania State Park on a weekend, and expect to find a vacancy at the campground!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot86 View Post
    Been there many times hammocking is just fine plenty of trees in the group area, heck and all over the area
    is it far from the trail?

thanks i will definitely call first

It’s defintiely not on the trail but not that far away from it. I think it’s about .25 to .5 miles from the half gallon challenge genera store. Memory serves the campground and group sites are not togeher. Great area and have fun !

ok so it seems they have no more tent sites? do you know if the group camping area is just OPEN to backpackers and i don't have to call? is there any signs to follow for these sites? thanks so much for everyones help! i am getting so excited.

Guthook shows a campsite .8 miles north of pine grove general store where the AT intersects the swamp trail

Is it raining yet?
    Images

That park's group campsite is very, very nice. The sites are very large with a nice evergreen canopy overhanging a flat bed of pine needles. One of my fav car camping spots anywhere.
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++