WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Not really, because it's only 3 screws, and they each only require 1/4 turn (90º) to go from "open" to "lock" (they are more like the locks found on most double-hung windows that a "screw", but they use the slot like a screw to prevent bear claws from being able to turn them).

So with a Bearikade, you wind up spending more time looking for your 'screw driver' (coin) that you spend locking/unlocking the lid.

The lid is also attached (like the lid of a Nalgene bottle is, except it's attached to the lid from the inside rather than the outside).

If you keep a coin in pocket, no need to look far
    Some drill a hole, put on string. Helps keep it from getting lost.
    Spares are good idea, although you can likely find coin in dirt at well used campsites
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-05-2018 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    You just need to pull the trigger. Figure out what you can budget for a tent and what features are important to you, then make a decision. You can't really go wrong with any of those companies. And, if you insist on carrying the bear canister, the new tent should about offset the weight costs of carrying it.
    Ordered the Zpacks Plexamid today. Total weight of tent + stakes is 482g.
    So weight savings on tent is 1200g.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Optimistic, but still able to sell at good value assuming its not artfully decorated (like my BV is).

So, I am all too familiar with that cold morning circumstance with the BV. Still, its something you learn and move forward from, so its not like every outing is like this. I'm prepared for cold weather with a tool to press the tab, and the fact that I will need some tack/pressure to turn while pressing. Its just not that bad. It is bad, though, when you're not prepared for that sort of thing, especially in the a.m. when coffee is necessary!

I would imagine that the unscrewing and screwing the Bearikade top open and closed is somewhat conducive to leaving it open for longer periods. Maybe that's just "not that bad" either... HYOH.

If you leave it out, I'm pretty sure that's how they would do it. Gosh, I'd love to see that.
    Not optimistic at all...I actually made money off my Bearikade.....disclosure I found it on Craig’s list for $80 in Florida!!! Can’t remember what exactly I sold for but was close to $275-300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    It was never confirmed, but suspected to be a Bear Vault.

I highly doubt it was a Bearikade...too many people complaining about the cost of one, so I doubt anyone on the East coast is using one other than myself a few other individuals.
    It was a bear vault....just did a loop recently that included the Thomas Knob shelter and did some research prehike and found this review on hikingupward concerning the loop:

"We began our week long backpacking adventure with great anticipation. We stopped at the ranger station and were told of some bear activity around Rodo Gap Trail and Thomas Knob Shelter. The Nation Forest Service has placed an electric fence with a bear proof metal box inside the fence at the Thomas Knob Shelter and just north of the shelter they placed an electric fence but without the bear proof box. We camped north of the shelter and placed our BV450 Bear Vault inside the fence. One other couple placed their BV450 in the fence along with another individual placing a Bear Bag. Awaking Tuesday morning to our surprise out Vault was outside the fence and all our food eaten except for the coffee and the lid bitten and clawed open. The other couples BV450 was opened in the exact same manner and their food eaten. So, nothing to do but hike out with one nutrition bar between us and return home to re-supply. We reported this to the ranger station and they took pictures telling us they would make a report to the NFS. Grayson Highlands and the surrounding territory will always be favorite but be aware a bear or bears can open the BV450 Bear Vault."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C4web88 View Post
    It was a bear vault....just did a loop recently that included the Thomas Knob shelter and did some research prehike and found this review on hikingupward concerning the loop:

"We began our week long backpacking adventure with great anticipation. We stopped at the ranger station and were told of some bear activity around Rodo Gap Trail and Thomas Knob Shelter. The Nation Forest Service has placed an electric fence with a bear proof metal box inside the fence at the Thomas Knob Shelter and just north of the shelter they placed an electric fence but without the bear proof box. We camped north of the shelter and placed our BV450 Bear Vault inside the fence. One other couple placed their BV450 in the fence along with another individual placing a Bear Bag. Awaking Tuesday morning to our surprise out Vault was outside the fence and all our food eaten except for the coffee and the lid bitten and clawed open. The other couples BV450 was opened in the exact same manner and their food eaten. So, nothing to do but hike out with one nutrition bar between us and return home to re-supply. We reported this to the ranger station and they took pictures telling us they would make a report to the NFS. Grayson Highlands and the surrounding territory will always be favorite but be aware a bear or bears can open the BV450 Bear Vault."
    The more important fact is that the electric fence didnt work at all.

No bearcan is bear proof.
    Even to approve for grizzly I a its 1 hr of bear-play.

Given time, a bear will get into any cannister, which is why the rangers at yosemite say keep it close and drive any bear away by shouting, banging pots, etc.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C4web88 View Post

Given time, a bear will get into any cannister, which is why the rangers at yosemite say keep it close and drive any bear away by shouting, banging pots, etc.

Images

although you can likely find coin in dirt at well used campsites

this is true and reminds me of my trip up to big schloss one year...

my dad dropped me off at the bottom trail so i could make loop (cant remember trail name) and i was feeling like crap and throwing up...

one of the first campsites i saw, that was about 300 yards from the trailhead at road, i could spot a coin in the dirt from about 50 feet away or so..

also, could see, while it was worn and matched surroundings, that it was a wheat penny.....

Journal Entries

I found coins at several campspots on jmt

Possibly dropped bearikade "keys"

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

For sure, was merely answering what a couple people in this thread asked. I do find it interesting it was able to power through the fence or figure out how to bypass it. When I hiked past the TK shelter, I noticed the fence was intact and theres an actual bear box inside of the fence as well.....

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Just for the record, I just got back from doing part of ME (Rangeley to Monson) and although it appears to have been completely unnecessary I carried my bear can the whole time. I don't know what my point is here other than to say that it's not a big deal carrying one in my opinion.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Journal Entries

I been sayin for years

1. It would happen eventually
    2. Its the right thing to do to reduce bear-human interactions and protect bears, in THEIR home

The only possible argument against, is humans are lazy and selfish, and prone to destroy everything they come in contact with

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++