WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have used a Sawyer mini in gravity mode. I don't use a long tube either. It filter plenty fast. I attache a bladder with and adapter to collect clean water. Because it is a closed system the water flow stops when the receiving bag is full, so I just let it set while doing other stuff. When I come back, it's done. Also, air will not pass through this type of filter, so your flow rates are slow if you get an air bubble in it. I suck on the clean side like a straw while jiggling the bubbles out of the filter until I can feel it is flowing smoothly. I think low flow rates reported by some people are due to bubbles in the filter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tschertz View Post
    Thanks for this! I don’t think I have the mini, but rather the regular sawyer squeeze. I know it did come with some hose and attachment but not sure what that is until I am done with work. Pretty sure it’s the one you are mentioning.
    I am just filtering water into 2 clean Nalgenes so this should be much cheaper than $100 on the platypus 2L gravity. How fast does it filter water in gravity? That’s the one thing I disliked about my sawyer, squeezing took forever.
    Gravity mode will work with either the mini or the squeeze. Both have a "nipple" of one sort or another on the output that you can push a hose onto. Some versions of the squeeze come with a pair of hose adapters... you can use the adapter on the output side if you want a reliable hose connection, but I've found it to not be required as the hose only has to hold onto the nipple long enough to filter your water.

Like I said above, a brand new mini could filter 2L of tap water with no priming of the system. Things usually get moving a little faster if you can get the hose to fill up and act as a suction (the greater the elevation difference between the filter and the clean bad, the stronger the suction).

I point out the issue of flow rate on a brand new device... because i'm learning that the filter can become clogged with mineral deposits over time if hard water is used.
    When I hiked the JMT, I noticed how over the course of my hike, the filter started getting a little slower each day (water flowing over granite)... and a Sawyer Sqeeze I cleaned with hard water at home became almost completely clogged by mineral deposits after storage over the winter. It's recently been suggested to me that I would back-flush my Sawyer with warm distilled water and vinegar to help clean out mineral deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by tschertz View Post
    I am just filtering water into 2 clean Nalgenes so this should be much cheaper than $100 on the platypus 2L gravity. How fast does it filter water in gravity? That’s the one thing I disliked about my sawyer, squeezing took forever.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could replace the Nalgenes with Smart Water Bottles to save some weight. They are cheap, light, widely available at grocery stores, and hold up well.

I have started using a Katadyn BeFree water filter that is amazingly fast. I can filter my water in half the time of sawyer squeeze. I still lightly squeeze my filter to speed it up, but it takes a minute or two to refill a couple 1 liter bottles. The squeezing pressure needed for these is minimal compared to sawyer and the opening to fill the dirty water bag is large.

[QUOTE=john844;2212490]You could replace the Nalgenes with Smart Water Bottles to save some weight. They are cheap, light, widely available at grocery stores, and hold up well.

Doesn't have to be a Smartwater bottle. Soda and Gatorade bottles are equivalent.

A sawyer squeeze is potentially more compatible with the opening of the re-used bottle as well.

a 32 oz Nalgene bottle empty weighs 6.2 oz
    a 1 liter recycled soda/water weighs 1.2 oz
    both weighed on my scale.

to replace the two Nalgenes with two Smartwater bottles would save 10 freaking ounces!!!

In the news lately have been "microplastics" from plastic water bottles. It's unclear if they pose any danger to human health (maybe they pass right through us harmlessly, IDK), but on the scale humans use plastic water bottles, it's said to be an increasing problem for the health of our oceans. So I wonder if re-using soda bottles is good/bad/indifferent, and do nalgene bottles (as sold today) have the same issues or not?

I'd like to do my part to limit pollution, but obviously adding 10 oz is not appealing, and if it does no better in terms of microplastics, there's obviously no point in it anyway, at least from that perspective.

Thoughts?

[QUOTE=trailmercury;2212493]
    Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    You could replace the Nalgenes with Smart Water Bottles to save some weight. They are cheap, light, widely available at grocery stores, and hold up well.

Doesn't have to be a Smartwater bottle. Soda and Gatorade bottles are equivalent.

A sawyer squeeze is potentially more compatible with the opening of the re-used bottle as well.

a 32 oz Nalgene bottle empty weighs 6.2 oz
    a 1 liter recycled soda/water weighs 1.2 oz
    both weighed on my scale.

to replace the two Nalgenes with two Smartwater bottles would save 10 freaking ounces!!!
    I got this idea at a ruck. For those who prefer a wide mouth, 30 oz mayo jars weigh 1.8 oz. Big (Costco JIF) peanut butter jars (about 38oz capacity) weigh 2.5 The rims of the peanut butter jars need smoothing with ultra fine (1500 grit or such) sandpaper to seal well. It takes a minute or so.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Very good rendition !

Lots of Grits and Oatmeal!
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

ok this is what i would do
    osprey 65l atmos ag pack it has a detachable brain you can take on and off as needed find last years model 160
    rei garage big agnes 1 person tent 100 bucks
    costco.com klymit sleeping pad and pillow combo 70 bucks
    treking poles get the cascade 40 dollar carbon fiber cork handle jams off of amazon they are actually pretty baller after that upgrade as needed
    msr windburner 150

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++