WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2020 Thru-Hike Georgia to Maine

I will be attempting a thru-hike in March 2020 starting in Georgia. Does anyone else have plans at this time? It might be too early to ask. I will be finishing college and relocating but wanted to use the window of time before I move to do the trail since it is the only feasible time I will have to complete it.

That's my hopefully year too. I hope to leave the some time on or after 20th stay in DC for 2 to 3 days and then head to Harper's ferry to start my flip flop attempt. My son turns 18 that year

Never too early to ask. My wife and will be heading SOBO at the end of July 2020; if I can wait that long. Maybe we will see you up north.

Most essential part to the plan is your gear list and physical/mental prowess. If your base weight is over ten lbs. w/out food and water look a little deeper. The lighter the pack the more likely the chance you will succeed and enjoy the journey.
    Also consider UL synthetic options for a jacket and quilt/sleeping bag. I have a 28* quilt that is less than an ounce heavier than my equal temp rated down quilt.
    Practice with your gear to boot! Don't let the added stress of inexperience along with exhaustion and hunger ruin your trip either.
    Don't rule out hammocks. Hammock setups can be very comfortable and of dual purpose. You can use a hammock as a ground shelter. Dual purpose much of your gear to save in weight.

Good luck.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

I'm planning on heading out in late Feb-early Mar 2020. This will be my semi-retirement gift to myself!

I retire in December and hoping to start NOBO 1st week of March.

I'm starting to make plans for a north bound through hike in Late Feb./early March that year.

Default Flip Flop 2020

New here, first post but long time lurker though.

Another class of 2020 here. I plan on doing a flip-flop starting at Rockfish Gap, VA heading NOBO, around middish April I think. Still dialing in the date. I have been dreaming of a thru-hike since 2012, but life happens and it is only til now that I can finally seize the opportunity. I have another year left with my orthodontics ( I will have fabulous teeth for the trail ) and the reason is lost on me on why I got braces in my 40's, seemed like a good idea at the time. This also gives us another year to add to our savings. I could have almost hiked twice on what I paid for my teeth or at least got some really nice gear and done one thru.

I had initially always thought that I would do a traditional NOBO, but I have no problem finishing atop Springer, being the Southern girl that I am and the flip-flop is just more appealing to me. There is no rush or hurry to get to Katahdin. And I would like to finish atop Springer on my birthday in mid October with my family at my side. The logistics of them finishing my hike with me on Katahdin would be much more complicated. Its just a 4 hr car ride for them to get to Springer as opposed to an 18+ hr car ride or expensive airline tickets and the hassle of flying to Maine.

Plus the second half of my trip after I get below Grayson Highlands, my husband and son are never more than 3-4 hrs away, so if I am feeling homesick, its just a quick car ride for them to join me for a day or two. My hubby plans on taking his vacation when I flop and slack pack me for a week through Virginia. I think that will help me mentally getting back on the trail after Katahdin.

This next year will see me preparing my gear, and hopefully tons of 5 day trips as I only work Saturday and Sunday so I do have the opportunity for multi-day hikes. Being in the foothills of western NC, I have tons of places to visit to do my shakedowns. My biggest problem is finding hiking appropriate clothes. I am full figured and too big for anything in REI and other outfitters carry. So maybe lose some weight too to get to a smaller clothing size. I know that 20 months seems a little early to be planning, but a girl can dream and plus I am getting older and the older I get faster time passes me. I really cant believe that September is almost here already and before you know it, it will be 2019!

So I have put it out there, my husband is supportive and encourages me, I have announced it at work (bye bye in 19 months peeps!) and I am posting it here.

Hi all! Hoping to start a NOBO through hike in 2020. I’m based in New Zealand and iv never even been to America before so feeling a little over whelmed by all the planning ahead!

My boyfriends still deciding whether he will join me for part of the trail or not so a bit hard to start planning until he makes up his mind.

But feeling incredibly excited and can’t wait to start training

March 1/2 is my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lager View Post
    I will be attempting a thru-hike in March 2020 starting in Georgia. Does anyone else have plans at this time?
    Probably only a couple of thousand people.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Im gearing up for the end of feb/first of march 2020 also. Hope to see you out there

I'll be doing the approach trail at the end of February, and setting off down the AT on March 1, 2020. Hope to run into you folks on the trail!

Images

I think I first got the bug around 2007? Shortly after the end of a bad relationship. I've had the longing since then but as others have said, life happens. I even made a blog after college about my training and preparations but a job offer came up that I couldn't turn down so I decided to go do the adult thing instead.

I'm currently in a good paying academic job which I have begun losing interest in. I started a Masters program but I have even less interest in that. I have no wife, no kids, nothing but college debt. In the past year, I've become more sedentary as my work responsibilities have increased. I spend most of my days inside on a computer and it's slowly killing me. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been--usually around 145lbs but I've ballooned up to 175 and it shows. Once upon a time, I could go for 10 mile trail runs but lately, all I do is sit behind a computer at home and at work.

I did a shakedown last November from Blood Mountain to Springer and it was majestic, tiring, humbling, and revitalizing. The first few days were non-stop fog and freezing wind and rain.

I think my plan is to flip-flop. I want my dad to be there when I finish and finishing on Springer makes sense because he lives in Florida. I will probably begin near Shenendoah or maybe HF and head NOBO around mid-April.

Good luck to everyone!
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

I'm planning a northbound thru-hike starting on March 5, 2020! Good luck with the planning!

Images

Headed out March 7, 2020
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMamma View Post
    Another class of 2020 here. I plan on doing a flip-flop starting at Rockfish Gap, VA heading NOBO, around middish April I think. Still dialing in the date. I have been dreaming of a thru-hike since 2012, but life happens and it is only til now that I can finally seize the opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    I think my plan is to flip-flop. I want my dad to be there when I finish and finishing on Springer makes sense because he lives in Florida. I will probably begin near Shenendoah or maybe HF and head NOBO around mid-April.
    I'm planning for a flip flop starting mid-April 2020 also. Hoping to see you both on the trail.
    Current plan is to leave from Rockfish Gap about 10 days before the Flip-Flop Festival.

I've been working in engineering for 30+ years and the call to the trail hit me about 2 years ago. Almost 10 years with my current employer and long service leave comes due in 2020. That, and an inordinate amount of accumulated leave makes a perfect backdrop for a thru-hike. The question is, whether I will want to return after.
    My next project will be 12 months in Norway, hoping the end date lines up perfectly (hoping I don't have to adjust my dates). I'm also hoping for plenty of hiking practice and cold weather gear shakedowns while I'm there.

If you think planning for 2020 is early, I'm ALREADY starting to plan a little for my 2022 NOBO hike after graduating high school early... And I only live about an hour from the start, haha! Best of luck. Thinking about doing some trail magic next year, so I may see you out there, who knows?

So you are a freshman in high school this year? Awesome! Welcome to White Blaze!

Thanks! Indeed... and now that I've made this decision, I can't get out of high school soon enough hahaha

Images

I'm looking at headed out Mar 1, 2020. It's never too early to plan. But TEST your gear, and be comfortable with it! Also, you can register your hike and see how many people are starting on or around your date.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++