WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I was close-minded once. (Well, OK, more than once)
    When cell phones first came out, I got down on some woman for hers ringing at a shelter.
    Sorry.
    Now, I'll say this: if you were going to carry a camera, maps, compass, flashlight, radio, GPS, anyway, why not use an "all in one" tool.
    And imagine: you can even use it for a phone sometimes.

The problem of course is charging.
    And that takes extra weight items that can be heavy.

So yes, it can be a toss-up.
    But for me, I can also work and keep in touch with my family so it's a no brainer.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

The problem of course is charging.

that ain't the only problem though...

i dont mind others having electronics out in the woods, as long as it doesnt affect me....

phone ringing, music playing, a bright light from watching a movie in a shelter, etc etc etc.....

if people are courageous and considerate about their usage around other people----so be it.....

just like other public places as well----an airplane, a restaurant, a store, the library, a concert, a play etc etc etc...........

Greater society has spoken. Agreements of what constitutes civility and appropriate behavior exist. NO ONE exists in a bubble. How each one of us behaves has consequences on others, the environment, what goes on at an AT lean to campsite, and the Universe People with a modicum sense of personal responsibility and aware consideration of others know this. Texting and driving is illegal. People have died(other people's lives matter too!) from inattentive negligent drivers driving while texting. Laws(rules) exist that consider the whole not just the individual. Use a device on a public bus, plane or train using head phones and talking in a polite tone and level is considered responsible and a reasonable demand. Turning devices off in court and non educational hand held devices off during classroom hrs is considered a reasonable demand. Turning larger devices like laptops off and stowing or into airplane mode is required of us by airlines for the safety of ALL. This carries over to the trail. Be a mensch. It's not always all about me, me, me, I, I, I, mine, mine, mine

While there is some disdain for electronic usage on hikes, as said many times, it's one's behavior in how they use devices that most folks have an issue.

Earlier this week I passed several people talking to themselves while hiking. Of course, they were actually talking on the phone. That does seem a bit excessive to me.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Earlier this week I passed several people talking to themselves while hiking. Of course, they were actually talking on the phone. That does seem a bit excessive to me.

at a Dead and Company concert last weekend----a guy was doing this inside the bathroom.........and when he was at the urinal.....

and it was video......

and if anyone follows D and C groups on FB----he is the "celebrity" deadhead.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    To the OP: How about consider taking it to ease your anxiety of when you have to bail out and use it as a camera/watch but not otherwise use it? Just put it in airplane mode. You could tell your family you will only turn it on when in town so no one expects to hear from you and you can stay disconnected while on the trail. Basically you can have the best of both worlds. Or are you afraid that if you have it you won't be able to resist checking it?
    No problem there with checking the thing every five minutes - I only own an old flip phone - no apps, no camera, and best of all, no ID theft.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Garlic
    Images

One of the reasons I go hiking is to get away from the phone.

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I finished the AT last year at age 66. Was late to the cell phone game at large, not just on the AT. I love my paper maps.

That said, I did transition to smart phones and apps. I wouldn't hike on the AT any longer without my Guthook. (I still carry paper maps and copies of guidebook pages too.)

As far as earbuds, I love history books and occasionally will listen to one or more on long hikes if hiking alone.

And yes, I have ordered pizza delivery to AT shelters more than once!

The rule absolutely is "Hike Your Own Hike."
    Well said....”Hike Your Own Hike”....

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One of the reasons I go hiking is to get away from the phone.
    You know, it does have an "off" button you can use at any time

As Dogwood said, it's not the phone but how, where and when it's used.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I, personally, prefer to listen to my thoughts or nature or whatnot as I hike, bike, etc.
    The folks I've passed on the trail with earbuds - almost every one of them pulls them out as they pass. That small courtesy makes me happy.
    As others have said, the only time I dislike other people's electronics on the trail is when it affects me. I don't really want to hear music. I don't want movie night in a shelter when I'm trying to sleep.
    But, in the spirit of hyoh and remembering I'm not in charge, I usually accept it for what it is.
    The same person who may cost me an hour of sleep could be the person who has reception and helps me out of a communication emergency of some kind.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

a headlamp is a gadget.

Touting HYOH most often sends the wrong message. It's often taken as do whatever I want on a hike and if it's a OK with me f*&k others...leaving a wake of ill will behind. HYOH most often leads to being self centered and defensive of behaving that way. There's a flip side of HYOH that few ever refer to. It's seldom discussed. It's the responsible side of HYOH, being responsible for your own hike while acknowledging others...being aware that NO ONE hikes in a bubble.

Journal Entries

The younger generation of hikers today has had cellphones their whole life.
    They don't know how to exist without a phone in their hand, or being in constant contact with people they know through texting and social media. It's who they are, it's what they are.

A phone is wonderful for making travel arrangements and staying in contact when in town. Even checking location via GPS now and then is great on poorly marked trails. (The AT is not one of those.) However, some people just need a distraction from hiking because hiking but actually bores them. They focus their attention on data such as an altitude, or gps tracks, or satellite tracking, or listen to podcasts or music. Or blog and social media.

This is an integral part of making hiking tolerable for them. If they enjoyed hiking without these things, they wouldnt use them. All distractions.

These things tell a lot about a persons reasons for being on trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-17-2018 at 03:18.

I see a lot of people of all ages carrying electronic gear like GPS and fitness tracking watches, cell phones and ear buds, SPOT and satellite phones, the list is long.These devices have, for some, largely replaced simple watches, paper maps and other reference materials people used to carry to navigate and identify flora, fauna, and rock. Some people enjoy the data provided by these devices and track time, mileage, elevation gain/loss in spreadsheets, some use these devices to pursue hobby interests like bushwhacking and map making. Most who I have encountered using these devices are usually well mannered with their use though not all, which I presume is the reason for the all-inclusive accusation. I do agree that some individuals are so poorly mannered on the trail it rises to someone having to say something to cease the behavior, however in my experience only a part of that has anything to do with electronic gadgets and fall into the human condition category like stopping foul language in public places, littering, fires in no-fire areas, uncontrolled dogs. These have always been present on trails, now we can add cell phones ringing, loud music on radios, and other annoyances which are variations on the theme. That said, I see a broad age spectrum in these issues and not just the younger generation(s).

Each of us has a way we want to hike, reasons to be on a trail, and interests that attract us when on a trail. There will always be differences of opinion in how hikes should be done like what routes to take, UL gear versus "old school", using a paper map versus electronic, and other differences that broaden the community. The more traveled a particular trail is (especially during weekends and holidays), the more one will see things they disagree with or are annoying occur. However to claim this is only the younger generation is a bit specious and may be equally telling.
    Last edited by Traveler; 06-17-2018 at 08:33.

You know, if you hold down the side button on an iPhone, there’s a feature that will actually allow you to turn it off. Most people don’t know a out this feature. You could use that hidden feature to take your phone for the few times you want to use it (use the exact same button to turn it on!) but then not be bothered with it the rest of the time. Maybe someone has written a blog post about this complicated “off” feature available on most phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    You know, if you hold down the side button on an iPhone, there’s a feature that will actually allow you to turn it off. Most people don’t know a out this feature. . .
    Connected to the deep wisdom in this statement, also made by other posters earlier in the thread, is the dark underbelly of this issue, escaping things that create stress in ones life vs. engaging those same things that reduce stress in another person's life.

Some people see cell phones and other technology as an invasion of their serenity and personal space, at least partly because they don't manage those distractions (i.e., the people and companies vying for their attention on those devices) peacefully in their daily lives. Other people see those same tools as little more than tools (and people) that can be turned on and off or ignored as needed of optimize their peace and serenity.

I say, pick your poison, be respectful of those around you with different sensibilities and run with it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I, personally, prefer to listen to my thoughts or nature or whatnot as I hike, bike, etc.
    The folks I've passed on the trail with earbuds - almost every one of them pulls them out as they pass. That small courtesy makes me happy.
    As others have said, the only time I dislike other people's electronics on the trail is when it affects me. I don't really want to hear music
    Why do you consider it discourteous if someone leaves there earbuds in while passing you on the trail. You can’t hear whatever they are listening to if they are wearing earbuds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Touting HYOH most often sends the wrong message. It's often taken as do whatever I want on a hike and if it's a OK with me f*&k others...leaving a wake of ill will behind. HYOH most often leads to being self centered and defensive of behaving that way. There's a flip side of HYOH that few ever refer to. It's seldom discussed. It's the responsible side of HYOH, being responsible for your own hike while acknowledging others...being aware that NO ONE hikes in a bubble.
    Good observation
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ........I do agree that some individuals are so poorly mannered on the trail it rises to someone having to say something to cease the behavior, however in my experience only a part of that has anything to do with electronic gadgets and fall into the human condition category like stopping foul language in public places, littering, fires in no-fire areas, uncontrolled dogs. These have always been present on trails, now we can add cell phones ringing, loud music on radios, and other annoyances which are variations on the theme. ........
    Good observation. Basically, rude and thoughtless people will be rude and thoughtless with or without a phone.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    People that want no electronics sure post about it all lot.
    Using electronics. I sure feel bad for them, they don't know what they're missing out on by living a simpler electronics free life and conversing with actual humans in person.

Wait, what?!

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Why do you consider it discourteous if someone leaves there earbuds in while passing you on the trail. You can’t hear whatever they are listening to if they are wearing earbuds.
    It's not about whether I can hear their music, it's about greeting a fellow traveler.
    Their willingness to say hi and possibly have a conversation. That's what it means to me when people pull their ear buds out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++