WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    welp...at least the local hayseeds are raking in some of the dough....it's all about the revenue!
    Hayseeds? Now there's a slur I haven't heard in a long time.

And now they've had a run in with the law, not having proper usage permits for camping. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmark View Post
    And now they've had a run in with the law, not having proper usage permits for camping. etc.
    I thought you could camp anywhere in a National Forest, unless posted otherwise.

Not large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Not large groups.
    Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

“......There are no official leaders, no formal structure, no official spokespersons, and no membership. Some rainbow family participants make the claim that the family is the "largest non-organization of non-members in the world"......”

So a Rainbow Gathering is a lot of individuals coming together in the National Forest, and an individual can camp anywhere in the National Forest without a permit, unless posted otherwise. So, although the USFS often say the gatherings are “unpermited”, I suspect they don’t stop them because their lawyers have told them a permit is not required.

El Sordo
    Images

pretty harmless so far. it will be interesting to see how well they clean up after themselves.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Hayseeds? Now there's a slur I haven't heard in a long time.
    I get a chuckle out of the term "hippies" used as a slur. Hasn't been a self respecting hippie around since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

“......There are no official leaders, no formal structure, no official spokespersons, and no membership. Some rainbow family participants make the claim that the family is the "largest non-organization of non-members in the world"......”

So a Rainbow Gathering is a lot of individuals coming together in the National Forest, and an individual can camp anywhere in the National Forest without a permit, unless posted otherwise. So, although the USFS often say the gatherings are “unpermited”, I suspect they don’t stop them because their lawyers have told them a permit is not required.
    I don’t have the exact wording in front of me, but the guidelines for dispersed camping are in the triple digits, 100’-200’, from trails and water sources. Campgrounds have posted capacity for each campsite.
    Naturally it takes personnel to enforce these rules.
    Wayne

i woman was murdered at the love-in. he's been caught, she hasn't been identified yet

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i woman was murdered at the love-in. he's been caught, she hasn't been identified yet
    https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...-say/785242161

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Where in the article does it say where she was murdered?

first sentence...

Article says she was killed after she allegedly met some guy at the gathering and left with him to hitchhike somewhere, apparently not at the gathering though. Lots of unknowns in this, including the identity of the woman.

As a former boy scout, and opposed to disorderly groups that do not follow healthy outdoor ethics of personal responsibility and being out in national forests for real health and recreation, I have nothing but disdain for groups that go into the woods for "gatherings" for rock sex and drugs! All the rules of forest rangers that regulate federal parks should operate against disorderly and illegal activities. A lot of spoiled white suburban privilege types go to these things as well as those not interested in gainful employment. Get a life would be my advice to these people.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    As a former boy scout, and opposed to disorderly groups that do not follow healthy outdoor ethics of personal responsibility and being out in national forests for real health and recreation, I have nothing but disdain for groups that go into the woods for "gatherings" for rock sex and drugs! All the rules of forest rangers that regulate federal parks should operate against disorderly and illegal activities. A lot of spoiled white suburban privilege types go to these things as well as those not interested in gainful employment. Get a life would be my advice to these people.
    buncha trustafarians

This description could be applied to many AT hikers.

Terrible, just terrible. I don’t hitch any more, I’d rather walk. Once a guy told me he was hitchhiking and a guy picked him up, he said to the guy “thanks for picking me up, but how do you know I wasn’t a serial killer” the driver said “easy, what are the odds of two serial killers being in the same car at the same time”

Great pontification deification.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Terrible, just terrible. I don’t hitch any more, I’d rather walk. Once a guy told me he was hitchhiking and a guy picked him up, he said to the guy “thanks for picking me up, but how do you know I wasn’t a serial killer” the driver said “easy, what are the odds of two serial killers being in the same car at the same time”
    i once was hitching, took a snapshot of driver and license plat to send to myself. When the driver realized I had done this “without my consent” he took off. Dodged a bullet / knife? Maybe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++