WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Accomodations in Cold Springs, NY

Is anyone aware of a motel in Cold Springs NY other than the Countryside Motel which is 4-5 miles north of town? I know about the Pig Hill Inn, which is actually a B&B, but the prices are pretty steep. I've googled this question, but not found anything close by, unless a person had wheels.
    "Sea Eagle"

Images

cold spring really isnt on the AT by any stretch.

maybe you arent asking this related to hiking the AT.

but if you are my answer would be that there are definitely places closer to the trail than cold spring to stay in that area.

my other thought is theres a train station in cold spring as well as in several other nearby towns. maybe if for some reason this does have to center around cold spring taking the train to elsewhere a few stops might work?

i'm pretty familiar with cold spring from hiking the other trails in that area that are actually, more or less, in cold spring. dont recall ever seeing anywhere to stay.

She's hiking to NY301 and Cold Spring is a few miles west on 301 where the trail crosses. And if there is train access back to NYC from there, I can see why she wants to go there and clean up before heading home.

Looks like the Countryside Motel is quite a ways north of 301 on RT9. The one review gives it a 3 out of 5. But it is the cheapest motel in an area noted for its very expensive accommodations. This is a VERY well-to-do and exclusive area populated by rich people who work in NYC. The other complication would be getting to the train station from there.

Google maps shows you all the options. Just search for motels in the cold spring, ny area. There are a couple of $250 a night stays right in Cold Spring and similar prices in the area.

Unfortunately, getting out of that area is not easy. You'd be better off going the extra 27 miles to NY 22 and use the Appalachian Trail RR station. The only problem there is timing, as it only runs once a day on weekends.

BTW, the trail from NY17A to the Hutson is a pain in the knees, especially when it's hot and humid. And of course, since you'll need to drink a lot of water, water is really scarce along that section. The Hutson to NY 22 is a much more pleasant walk in the woods.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    She's hiking to NY301 and Cold Spring is a few miles west on 301 where the trail crosses. And if there is train access back to NYC from there, I can see why she wants to go there and clean up before heading home.

Looks like the Countryside Motel is quite a ways north of 301 on RT9. The one review gives it a 3 out of 5. But it is the cheapest motel in an area noted for its very expensive accommodations. This is a VERY well-to-do and exclusive area populated by rich people who work in NYC. The other complication would be getting to the train station from there.

Google maps shows you all the options. Just search for motels in the cold spring, ny area. There are a couple of $250 a night stays right in Cold Spring and similar prices in the area.

Unfortunately, getting out of that area is not easy. You'd be better off going the extra 27 miles to NY 22 and use the Appalachian Trail RR station. The only problem there is timing, as it only runs once a day on weekends.

BTW, the trail from NY17A to the Hutson is a pain in the knees, especially when it's hot and humid. And of course, since you'll need to drink a lot of water, water is really scarce along that section. The Hutson to NY 22 is a much more pleasant walk in the woods.
    the hutson?

anyways, after i posted i looked up where the country side motel is. technically that is cold spring but its not really what i think of cold spring (ie, nowhere near the train station for instance).

if it were me doing a hike in that area and i wasnt willing to hire a shuttle or hitchhike or in some way otherwise cover miles over road without walking i'd just end my hike at either the "hutson" river or pawling/wingdale.

upon looking some more i'm somewhat surprised there isnt a cheap place to stay in beacon. apparently you have to cross the river to find that.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    the hutson?

upon looking some more i'm somewhat surprised there isnt a cheap place to stay in beacon. apparently you have to cross the river to find that.
    Stop making fun of my spelling

The area around West Point and the lower Hudson river valley has very high priced real estate. Easy commute to the city.

Personally, I'd continue on a day or two and get off at Pawling. That section past 301 is really easy and a pleasant hike. Plus it sets you up to be at a better place to get back on next time. The only down side is again, no near-by hotel. But you can camp in town and swim in their lake.

Images

Stop making fun of my spelling

The area around West Point and the lower Hudson river valley has very high priced real estate. Easy commute to the city.

Personally, I'd continue on a day or two and get off at Pawling. That section past 301 is really easy and a pleasant hike. Plus it sets you up to be at a better place to get back on next time. The only down side is again, no near-by hotel. But you can camp in town and swim in their lake.
    there are actually, relatively, cheap hotels in and around west point.

i would guess the east side of the river just has nothing to draw tourism, so the land, which is expensive, is more productively used in other ways.

there are actually, relatively, cheap hotels in and around west point.

i would guess the east side of the river just has nothing to draw tourism, so the land, which is expensive, is more productively used in other ways.
    Unless you happen to show up on the weekend of West Point graduation. Of course, that's true of any area hosting a big event. Over in Gorham, the motels double their rates for the ATV festival weekends. Pity the poor thru hiker who shows up that weekend!

Images

Unless you happen to show up on the weekend of West Point graduation. Of course, that's true of any area hosting a big event. Over in Gorham, the motels double their rates for the ATV festival weekends. Pity the poor thru hiker who shows up that weekend!
    that just gave me an interesting thought. in pearisburg recently on a poorly timed (as far as missing the bubble goes) hike, i found everything pretty well filled up and finding somewhere to stay was tricky and nearly proved disastrous.

traditionally places that cater to the trail offer hiker discounts, but one has to wonder, if demand goes up substantially in a seasonal manner at some point someone is going to realize they can increase their rates for thru hiker season the same as the hotels around west point raise their rates for graduation.

its probably only the whole bizarre culture of charity towards hikers that has kept it from happening yet, but that won't last forever. if there was a room free in pearisburg the day i was there for twice the hiker rate i would have paid it without thinking twice.

Thanks for the info; its kind of what I suspected. I've decided to start from the other end (17A) and go to 301, then find somebody to pick me up. If I had started from 301, I wanted to be in town so I could walk to the Old Soles Outfitter and Post Office the next morning. Hiking on to Pawling is a good idea, except that I've already done those sections. All I have left to do is 17A to 301.
    Also, thanks for the heads up on the terrain.
    "Sea Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Hiking on to Pawling is a good idea, except that I've already done those sections. All I have left to do is 17A to 301.
    Also, thanks for the heads up on the terrain.
    What's wrong with hiking a section again?

Images

What's wrong with hiking a section again?
    i raised something like this in another thread with a similar problem recently. sometimes it really is the best solution. and its also something us section hikers need to mindful of when planning our hikes if we want to avoid it happening. often times a good place to stop the current hike isnt a good place to start the next hike. i've ran into that once or twice but fortunately its never cost me more than a few miles.

Images

i raised something like this in another thread with a similar problem recently. sometimes it really is the best solution. and its also something us section hikers need to mindful of when planning our hikes if we want to avoid it happening. often times a good place to stop the current hike isnt a good place to start the next hike. i've ran into that once or twice but fortunately its never cost me more than a few miles.
    of course flipping the direction, as the OP has decided to do, is also a good solution. though not everyone is amenable to that.

Nothing wrong with hiking a section again, but I should mention that I'm flying in and out of Stewart Newburgh Airport, not NYC. Also a good point about where to end a hike. I had intended to finish at the Hudson River, but had to stop at 301 unexpectedly for family reasons. I will say I've stopped hikes at worse places, then had to work it out. Anyway, looks like 17A.
    "Sea Eagle"

++ New Posts ++