WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Spilling

Arrow Fuel Spilling

How do I pour without half of it dribbling down the sides? I have to keep track of a tiny funnel? Did I miss chemistry class that day?

What kind of fuel are you using and what are you pouring it into?

Back in the good old days when I carried a 2 pound white gas stove, I had a fuel bottle which had a cap with a built in pouring spout. Otherwise, yes you'd want a small funnel.

These days I use an alcohol stove made from a soda can and just pour some alcohol into the middle of the stove and eyeball the amount.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    . . . These days I . . . just pour some alcohol into the middle of the stove and eyeball the amount.
    I just take a swig and spit the amount I need into the stove.

. . . For anyone thinking about taking my remark seriously, please don't. Putting 95% ethanol into your mouth can do serious damage to your tissues. There is a reason that distillates for drinking are diluted to 40%!!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I just take a swig and spit the amount I need into the stove.

. . . For anyone thinking about taking my remark seriously, please don't. Putting 95% ethanol into your mouth can do serious damage to your tissues. There is a reason that distillates for drinking are diluted to 40%!!
    Not to mention that fuel alcohol is denatured. That is, deliberately poisoned.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Even worse if it's white gas
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slow John View Post
    How do I pour without half of it dribbling down the sides? I have to keep track of a tiny funnel? Did I miss chemistry class that day?
    Yep
    You missed the day where they showed you what a bottle with a flip top was.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Even worse if it's white gas
    That's the reason my Svea no longer rides in my pot set. Yuck!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Yeah, but lab alcohol isn't, and neither is everclear. And, they both work as fuels AND mixers. Not that I would know from experience of course.

Recognizing that it doesn't pour like water is the start. I'm probably going to get the chemistry/physics terms incorrect, but... water coheres to itself more, it's thicker, it streams out of the bottle in a way that we can easily predict, and we can get in the habit of dribbling it out in tiny portions fairly accurately.

Alcohol, not so much. It's far more likely to stick to the bottle and dribble back down the side.

My solution, pour faster, and stop faster. It takes a little practice to get the amount correct. I just use a small soda/pop bottle.

Aluminum foil funnel

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Yeah, but lab alcohol isn't, and neither is everclear. And, they both work as fuels AND mixers. Not that I would know from experience of course.
    I tote Everclear myself: a true multi-function item: fuel, disinfectant, & muscle relaxer

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I tote Everclear myself: a true multi-function item: fuel, disinfectant, & muscle relaxer
    and yeah, a flip top squeeze bottle works great

Mine leaked badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Mine leaked badly.
    One of the reviewers put a rubber-band around the bottom of the screw top, put the top back on, and that stopped the leaks. I guess the rubber-band acted like a gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    One of the reviewers put a rubber-band around the bottom of the screw top, put the top back on, and that stopped the leaks. I guess the rubber-band acted like a gasket.
    I tried a few gaskets I had lying around, didn't seem like it would be worth the risk for a leaky solvent near all the expensive gear.

For carrying alcohol fuel I use a range of bottles depending on how long I'm out.

- I use those little 2 oz, 5 hour energy bottles for short overnight or two day trips depending on how much I'm heating water.
    - I have a 4 or 6 oz Sriracha or other small pepper sauce bottle that has a great working squeeze type dispenser cap that doesn't leak.
    - I have an 8 oz pull-top drink bottle from some kid's colored sugar drink that also dispenses alcohol well and doesn't leak at all.
    - If I need more volume than that . . . well, I never have, but I would probably graduate to either smart water bottles or dish detergent bottles.

The trend here is a variety of pull-top or twist-top dispenser bottles with the exception of the 5 hour energy, which seems to pour just fine, so I haven't spent time trying to figure out a more elegant solution for short alcohol trips.

Another Everclear liquid multitool guy here. Found a 3oz squeeze bottle that nests w/ stove, stand, screen (~size of an empty toilet paper roll), but now worried about plastic leaching risk in my dehydrated vodka. It has a recycle #2 symbol.... any idea if that's safe with 190 grain?

Another Everclear liquid multitool guy here. Found a 3oz squeeze bottle that nests w/ stove, stand, screen (~size of an empty toilet paper roll), but now worried about plastic leaching risk in my dehydrated vodka. It has a recycle #2 symbol.... any idea if that's safe with 190 grain?

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    . . . It has a recycle #2 symbol.... any idea if that's safe with 190 grain?
    High Density Polyethylene is some of the best. The same as your milk jugs, your oil "cans", most lids on most containers. Only down side is it doesn't come clear, so you don't see it used for water and booze where clear is important for marketing. HDPE will leach a bit of plastic flavor into water after several hours in the sun, but it is some of the most food-safe plastic made.
    Last edited by nsherry61; 06-25-2018 at 20:33.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++