WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 100 Mile Wilderness

Doing this section in late July after summiting Katahdin and I have a few questions:

Resupply: Is it possible?

Shoes: What is a good option for fording. Was thinking of bringing old pair of light tennis shoes to keep my trail runners dry.

Hostels: I have heard there is one midway on a lake. Worth it? Any other options.

thanks to anyone who can help,
    Rick

Journal Entries

We did this section a couple years ago in late August/early September. Most fords were rock hops, but rainfall this year may be different. We brought crocs for the crossings, but tennis shoes would work also. Only issue is they'd stay wet/heavy for longer.

We flew into Bangor and got a rental car, which we positioned at Jo-Mary Road with a resupply of food and fresh clothes. The fresh clothes were really nice to have! Mice got in the car, got in the food, and made a mess everywhere. If you use this strategy, package food in a mouse-proof container. There are shuttlers in the area who will meet you at Jo-Mary or Katahdin Ironworks Road with a resupply - for a reasonable fee. We had shuttle fees to drop off the car and to pick it up afterwards.

The elevation profile of the HMW looks temptingly easy, especially the northern half. We thought surely we could cover more miles there than usual, and we did, but not as many as we had hoped. Plus we wanted to enjoy the trip, not just walk till we dropped. So we ended up slowing down, spent a half-day at Antlers Campsite, and exited at KIW Road. Then we used that car to spend a couple days in Acadia NP (great place, by the way) and caught our flight home. Added the rest of the HMW to the next year's adventure, and kept on walking.

White House landing is a little better then half way to Abol Bridge. (50 miles from Monson, 40 from Abol). You have to use a side trail to a lake, blow a horn and they come over with a boat to pick you up. Looks like they are up and running for the season, judging from their facebook page. Already a bunch of hikers have passed through there. Worth the price? Probably.

You can also arrange for a food drop in the same area. If your going SOBO through the HMW, then you'd have to make these arrangements via phone as the services are based out of Monson.

If this is all your doing, going NOBO from Monson would make more sense, as then you would qualify as a "thru hiker" and can use the camping sites reserved for thru's at Baxter and not go through the hassles with reservations or doing it all as a day hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Resupply: Totally possible, there are at least two hostels in monson offering a supply drop. Last year it was 50 bucks but there was no limit for how many people could split it.

Shoes: I carried crocs because I like having camp shoes. There were only two real crossings for me and one I ended up doing barefoot because I was lazy. I’d suggest either a camp shoe, going carefoot carefully, or just cross in your shoes. They’ll dry reasonably fast and it’s not like your shoes will stay dry in rainstorms anyway.

Hostels: it’s pricey and I’ve heard mixed things about the place, but I didn’t go. I really would’ve liked to, but alas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done this trip several times. I don't bother with re-supply or the hostel. It's not worth fooling with. I load up at abol and carry 8 days of food and hike it in 7 or 6. I also just hike across the fords with my shoes on and keep going. If you feel the need then light fake croc's work well.

I broke a toe fording barefoot, which swelled up and made me bail at Jo-Mary. So, I don't recommend fording barefoot. I was lazy and I almost made it across before slipping off a rock and smashing that toe.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You can also arrange for a food drop in the same area. If your going SOBO through the HMW, then you'd have to make these arrangements via phone as the services are based out of Monson.
    The AT Lodge in Millenocket will do food drops, I believe.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

-

the abol campstore was the worst value I have seen in my life - better to do what it takes to supply a different way - the restaurant on the other hand was fine

Images

It is not advisable to resupply at the Abol Bridge Campground store. Each year they seem to offer less and less hiker food since they have paired with New England Outdoor Center for rafting trips with camping. There are some provisions...if you are interested in the barest of essentials like Knorr Sides, tuna packets, ramen. However, tuna packets do sell for $2.75 each. That is the current price.

The restaurant is not quite up and running at full speed yet. It is very dependent on staffing and was still not open as of June 19th. They are usually (again, depends on staffing) open by July 1st. The ice cream window is currently open. The store is currently open.

If you are looking for resupply for the first half of the 100 Mile, headed south from Katahdin, the AT Lodge (Millinocket) will be a better price as they can more easily access that half of the woods. It takes Shaw's longer to get to that half, so it is (as it should be) a little more expensive. Both companies are amazing to work with and you can't go wrong with either one for any of your hiker needs.

Whitehouse Landing is about halfway through the 100 Mile, but is not located directly on the trail. You would need to hike off trail, then take a boat to access their business. Doable, but it is all in what you are looking to include in your trip.

Hi Rick. How are you getting to Baxter? Do you have a rez?
    Ole Man in Millinocket is your go-to for 100 mile resupply.
    Do NOT plan on buying your 100 mile food supply at Abol Bridge Store.
    The Wares at White House Landing are great hosts, highly recommend spending a night there.
    If you stay at WHL you won't need a food drop.
    Wear your hikers while fording. Put on dry sock on the other bank.
    Have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I just splashed through the fords. Not worth taking socks off. Feet will dry soon enough, or not at all if it's raining. If it's raining, then you can use the water to wash the mud out of your shoes and socks, or, you have to wait for the water levels to drop so you can cross safely.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    White House landing is a little better then half way to Abol Bridge. (50 miles from Monson, 40 from Abol). You have to use a side trail to a lake, blow a horn and they come over with a boat to pick you up.
    No longer. No horn to blow. There is a radio, but do not use it. Call them on your cell. The hike is far less than it used to be, when a horn was used (due to trailhead being closer to WHL in the old days).

P1020472_50.JPG

WHL is not what I'd call "Southern hospitality." More like Maine "hospitality." Still, it's there and handy and a very traditional stay.

I hiked the HMW last September. Used Shaw's in Monson for day hiking, shuttling, etc. They were great.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 06-24-2018 at 23:32.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    No longer. No horn to blow. There is a radio, but do not use it. Call them on your cell. The hike is far less than it used to be, when a horn was used (due to trailhead being closer to WHL in the old days).

P1020472_50.JPG

WHL is not what I'd call "Southern hospitality." More like Maine "hospitality." Still, it's there and handy and a very traditional stay.

I hiked the HMW last September. Used Shaw's in Monson for day hiking, shuttling, etc. They were great.
    I arrived at the landing in a driving rain, so the screen on my cell phone was totally unresponsive (always is when it gets wet).

The radio at the landing is waterproof. Rain was running off my hat onto the radio and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had trouble with the Whitehouse landing website. Anyone know the pricing to stay/eat there? Do they charge to hold your mail drop if you stay with them?
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    I had trouble with the Whitehouse landing website. Anyone know the pricing to stay/eat there? Do they charge to hold your mail drop if you stay with them?
    If you do Facebook, they are on Facebook as "Whitehouse Landing Camps." They are an off-grid business. By their wording, it seems they prefer to be called at 207-745-5116 with any questions.

The AT Guide has the following to say about pricing:

"Call/text. Reservations highly recommended. Boat pick up and return included. Bunk $35pp, semiprivate $45 (single occupancy). Shower, towel, pillowcase incl. Linens extra. Resupply. Dinner menu for overnight guests includes pizza, burgers, & more. AYCE b'fast. Device recharge. CC accepted. All amenities require overnight stay. Mail (allow 7-10 days for arrival)."

Food & resupply will be more expensive at this place because it is nowhere near a store if they run out of something. Guthook's had a hiker posting from last fall that said a pizza is $14 for a plain pizza with toppings $2.50 each. Another hiker posted that breakfast was $10 last season. You might want to call them to check their current pricing.

I went through this section of my hike in mid July. I carried camp sandals for my entire hike but never put them on when in 100 mile wilderness. Your shoes are going to be soaked anyway the trail was very wet and muddy just leave them on and hike throuht the streams. I am pretty tolerate of just about anything but the mosquitos were pretty bad, so bring you head net. I resupplied at Shaws with 6 days, made Abol bridge in 5. Yes Abol bridge is not the best resupply place, but it will do for the one more day you need to get to base of Kathadin.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottTrip View Post
    I went through this section of my hike in mid July. I carried camp sandals for my entire hike but never put them on when in 100 mile wilderness. Your shoes are going to be soaked anyway the trail was very wet and muddy just leave them on and hike throuht the streams. I am pretty tolerate of just about anything but the mosquitos were pretty bad, so bring you head net. I resupplied at Shaws with 6 days, made Abol bridge in 5. Yes Abol bridge is not the best resupply place, but it will do for the one more day you need to get to base of Kathadin.
    Same; the store at abol was had hilarious pricing but I still grabbed a pasta side, some bars for breakfast, and two beers.

The restaurant charged for WiFi but Man did that beer and pulled pork taste amazing. I didn’t care about anything other than finishing at that point

Its already a very dry summer in the region, I expect the fords and mud will be late season dry already.

With respect to services in the area, these are seasonal businesses with very high overhead and remote. They are on diesel generators for power and hauled in propane. The usual number is about 5 times the rate of grid power so they have to factor in around $0.75 a KW to supply the refrigerator for a cold beer. No one is forced to pay, but its amazing the number who do. The store at Abol is mostly as an amenity for the adjacent campground which is usually packed with white water rafting folks that don't mind paying for luxury. I haven't been in their lately but they seem to stock some hiker food mostly to keep folks from bothering them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    If you do Facebook, they are on Facebook as "Whitehouse Landing Camps." They are an off-grid business. By their wording, it seems they prefer to be called at 207-745-5116 with any questions.

The AT Guide has the following to say about pricing:

"Call/text. Reservations highly recommended. Boat pick up and return included. Bunk $35pp, semiprivate $45 (single occupancy). Shower, towel, pillowcase incl. Linens extra. Resupply. Dinner menu for overnight guests includes pizza, burgers, & more. AYCE b'fast. Device recharge. CC accepted. All amenities require overnight stay. Mail (allow 7-10 days for arrival)."

Food & resupply will be more expensive at this place because it is nowhere near a store if they run out of something. Guthook's had a hiker posting from last fall that said a pizza is $14 for a plain pizza with toppings $2.50 each. Another hiker posted that breakfast was $10 last season. You might want to call them to check their current pricing.
    Thanks Water Rat. If you are going to resupply when hiking thru the 100 Mile Wilderness, sounds like staying here is an option worth considering.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

Whitehouse Landing is certainly an option. It all depends on what one wants to add to their hike.

If I were considering a SOBO resupply in the 100 Mile, I would choose to gather my food and contact the AT Lodge about a food drop. I would then take the extra time I would have spent to get to/from Whitehouse Landing and use that time to visit some of the waterfalls in Gulf Hagas. This way I would save money (not just on the food I am buying for resupply...), I would be able to get exactly what I wanted for my resupply, and I would be able to see a bit more that the 100 Mile has to offer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++