WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT Virginia

Default AT Virginia

Hi Guys, we'll hike Virginia next month July for 11 days. We're coming straight from Brazil, so;

Which section do you recommend to do this 11 days? If possible, not so far from an airport to get in, and after to get out.

Thanks,

Birdscope

Images

start in damascus and head north for 11 days. first 3 days or so will be awesome, after that isn't bad as far as VA goes.

other option i'd advise is either start at daleville and head south or attempt to end at daleville but that might be tricky to time out 11 days worth of hiking.

don't really know about airports in the area except i dont think there are many.

If you only want the VA section and nothing in NC or TN, then I would suggest that you start in Damascus and head north. Plenty of places that will allow you to leave your car (for a small fee) or there are several shuttle services that can get you there.

Knoxville, TN or Asheville, NC are probably your best bet for airports.

Damascus is a good choice. Fly in and out of Johnson City Tn. Airport

Good, open to another sections.

You mentioned NC and TN, what are the options you like?

Quote Originally Posted by birdscope View Post
    Good, open to another sections.

You mentioned NC and TN, what are the options you like?
    IMO, all of NC & TN are beautiful. You might want to avoid the Great Smokey Mountain National Park because it will likely be crowded in July. You can start at I40 and go north thru Hot Springs. Easy to catch flights in/out of Asheville.

How many miles per day do you want to do?

Two links that might be helpful if you don't already have them.

http://www.atdist.com/

http://tnlandforms.us/at/googleat.ph...&mt=3&scale=11

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    IMO, all of NC & TN are beautiful. You might want to avoid the Great Smokey Mountain National Park because it will likely be crowded in July. You can start at I40 and go north thru Hot Springs. Easy to catch flights in/out of Asheville.

How many miles per day do you want to do?
    Ok, So option 1;

- starting I40 north to Hot Springs, flight from Ashville

What about landing in Washington and going to Shenandoah, from there hike south? Do you think it´s worth it? It seems easier regarding logistics, and cheaper the flight ticket.

-

I try to plan trips for the easier/ more versatile logistics last - so finish at harpers ferry (with train to DC)

start at Waynesboro (S end of Shenandoah) or Luray (middle)
    DC airport at both ends

Ok, So option 1;

- starting I40 north to Hot Springs, flight from Ashville

What about landing in Washington and going to Shenandoah, from there hike south? Do you think it´s worth it? It seems easier regarding logistics, and cheaper the flight ticket.
    I live in DC and go out to Shenandoah at least once a month. A little over an hour drive from the city (DCA airport) will put you at Front Royal (you'd be even closer flying in to Dulles Airport). You could hike south on the AT and do all of Shenandoah in that time presumably. You'd need a way to get back to Front Royal, but there are many shuttles in the area.

Images

Hi Guys, we'll hike Virginia next month July for 11 days. We're coming straight from Brazil, so;

Which section do you recommend to do this 11 days? If possible, not so far from an airport to get in, and after to get out.

Thanks,

Birdscope
    How about this section...

http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=FN&k...3072&year=2018

Not sure how close it is to airports, but both endpoints are close to major highways. And this covers Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs. Also there are some good views south of Pearisburg.

Collecting the opinions, sites and data you're posting guys, helping a lot.

Well, since you apparently want to also go to Glacier, doing something out of Washington DC is a good plan, which points to the Shenandoah as the logical choice. Then back to DC and the long train ride to Glacier.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In addition to Shenandoah you should consider the sections going in or out of Harper’s Ferry

tdoczy,hatchee, george, crushed grapes, old chief, flypaper, slo-goén, chknfngrs; Thank You very much guys, helping us decide. We'll land in DC, then try a shuttle to Front Royal, and sobo.

Any ideas for transportation, le us know.

Take Care

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb My suggestion

1. Fly into Washington DC, and spend the night there.
    2. Early the next morning, get to one of the first three stops mentioned in this bus company's schedule:
    http://www.catchthevabreeze.com/
    All are in the DC area, and all can be accessed by mass transit from innumerable lodging choices.
    If you're flying into Dulles (unlikely, but I mention it), you may as well stay near that airport.
    3. Ride this bus to Front Royal.
    4. Ride a shuttle from Front Royal into Shenandoah Nat Park; say, to Big Meadows.
    NOTE: You might find it cheaper for your group to do a shuttle directly from Washington. There's (generally) no additional charge for extra people taking the same shuttle, but there IS for riding a bus.
    5. Hike the 100 miles (or so) to Harpers Ferry.
    6. Ride Amtrak
    https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...ule-060118.pdf
    or MARC
    https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...ar13_small.pdf
    back to Washington DC.
    Note that MARC runs ONLY on weekdays, and only early in the morning.
    Again, you might find a shuttle direct from Harpers Ferry to be less expensive.
    7. Spend a few days in DC before you fly back!

Note that you'll have to arrange a shuttle WELL before you arrive -- don't count on getting a shuttle on the day you'll be using one!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    1. Fly into Washington DC, and spend the night there.
    2. Early the next morning, get to one of the first three stops mentioned in this bus company's schedule:
    http://www.catchthevabreeze.com/

All are in the DC area, and all can be accessed by mass transit from innumerable lodging choices.
    If you're flying into Dulles (unlikely, but I mention it), you may as well stay near that airport.
    3. Ride this bus to Front Royal.
    4. Ride a shuttle from Front Royal into Shenandoah Nat Park; say, to Big Meadows.
    NOTE: You might find it cheaper for your group to do a shuttle directly from Washington. There's (generally) no additional charge for extra people taking the same shuttle, but there IS for riding a bus.
    5. Hike the 100 miles (or so) to Harpers Ferry.
    6. Ride Amtrak
    https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...ule-060118.pdf
    or MARC
    https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...ar13_small.pdf
    back to Washington DC.
    Note that MARC runs ONLY on weekdays, and only early in the morning.
    Again, you might find a shuttle direct from Harpers Ferry to be less expensive.
    7. Spend a few days in DC before you fly back!

Note that you'll have to arrange a shuttle WELL before you arrive -- don't count on getting a shuttle on the day you'll be using one!
    Thought about taking a bus through Hwy 66 , stopping near Linden and start sobo on Trumbo Hollow Trailhead. Is this viable, or only by shuttle?

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy Not viable

> Thought about taking a bus through Hwy 66 , stopping near Linden and start sobo on Trumbo Hollow Trailhead. Is this viable, or only by shuttle?

Only by shuttle. The bus service I noted is the only such service to that area, and it only started last winter -- for many years there was NO mass transit from ANYWHERE that went even into Front Royal.

There is DEFINITELY no bus that stops near Linden. Greyhound may drive along Interstate 66*, but it will NOT make ANY stops except those on its schedule.

In other words, you'll have to use a shuttle.

* FYI - in the U.S., there are interstate roads, usually prefixed with the letter 'I', such as "I-95." Roads built by the federal government are prefixed by "U S," such as "US Highway 1" or just "US-1." Roads built by state funds or county funds have similar prefixes, such as "State Highway 12" and "County Road 100," and sometimes just "Virginia 12" or even "VA-12." It's VERY confusing, even if you've traveled these roads for DECADES.

Too bad you gave up on Glacier National Park. It’s a shame to come this far and miss a treasure lake Glacier. Maybe next time!
    Have a great trip!
    Wayne

Thanks,

Birdscope
    Another thought is fly in and out of Washington DC.

Start at Harpers Ferry and head south.

Catch a shuttle back to DC from wherever you end up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++