WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 10 days / 2 weeks section of the AT.. where to go ?

Hi everyone !
    My name is Cyril, I am French and I am considering walking the AT in end July/early August with my wife, as our honeymoon trip
    We're looking for a 10-day to 2-week hike, maybe around New-york (because we've never been there and we were considering visiting it at the end or beginning of our trip).

The thing is that the AT is really long, and finding a nice section with a moderate level and nice views and trail
    My wife is not an extremely experienced hiker, but she can hold on tight when walking !
    As far as I am concerned, I used to hike a lot in the alps (less these last years because of work) and I also do ski mountaineering and mountaineering (Alpinism).

I've read a lot of articles on the internet, trying to figure out where to start / end... and which direction heading to (SoBo/NoBo).
    I came across these 2 links (among a handful of other links) :
    https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/best...an-trail-hikes
    https://wilderness.org/no-time-hike-...-section-hikes

I saw that there was a Metro-North Railroad station on the AT, from New-York, and I thought this could be a nice beginning or end. It seems to run in the weekends only, so maybe starting there in order not to miss the day, if we walk slower than planned.. but I'm not against starting from elsewhere, we'll find a bus, train, car, plane to reach NYC anyway where ever we end up hiking
    The only constraint we have is that we won't have a car and we'll need some public transportation means available.. (and also trying to keep the budget as low as possible, because we are not rich hikers )

So I'm opened to suggestions on where to consider hiking if you have any ideas.
    This might affect our plane tickets to arrive in the US too

Thanks a lot for your help, can't wait to be there and maybe one day become too a thru-hiker
    Cyril

And I forgot to say that if we had the choice, we'd rather go in mountainy areas, as it might be less buggy/"mosquity"
    Thanks again

I 40 (mile 427 on AT) to US321 Hampton, VA = 187miles Beautiful area!!
    Last edited by DownYonder; 06-27-2018 at 10:30.

-

in and out of new york city - start at Delaware water gap north

3 choices to finish all with reasonable transportation options back to NYC Harrimon, Pawling and Salsbury Conn

easiest is the middle one at pawling like you mentioned but this plan allows the longer/ shorter option without much inconvenience/ expense

Hi ! Thanks for your feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I'm not sure to fully understand what you wrote... "I 40 (mile 427 on AT)" what does this mean ? I'm not yet fully used to the trail terms
    I've learned some by browsing through the forum and other websites, but not a fluent trail-speaker yet

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

3 choices to finish all with reasonable transportation options back to NYC Harrimon, Pawling and Salsbury Conn

easiest is the middle one at pawling like you mentioned but this plan allows the longer/ shorter option without much inconvenience/ expense
    Thanks, I'm having a look at this area right now.
    Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area seems like a long park. When you say "start at Delaware water gap north", you mean starting from the north of the park ?
    From there to Harrimon, it doesn't seem to be a lot of national park or such (starting in the north from Montague, New Jersey. Or is it just y impression from the map ?

From France, where I am now, it's difficult to have a proper knowledge of the trail as I couldn't fin maps out here. And overseas import is very expensive (more expensive than the map itself).
    I'm thinking of buying one upon our arrival, but I'd like to have a fairly good idea of where to go to before flying over

Hi again !

So I did a bit of searching, and at the moment, I have found a few options among which your 2 options :
    1- Shenendoah
    From Charlottesvile VA (I could get there from Washington (and getting there from NYC by bus maybe), then get a shuttle to the trailhead) to Harpers Ferry.
    Or the opposite, from North to South.

2- Maine, along the 100 mile wilderness
    But I'm afraid this would be to remote to get to and back from there.
    Plus it seems to be quite buggy in the summer.

3- Vermont : around the Green Mountains, somewhere between the long trail and the AT
    Not too far from NYC, starting from Williamstown MA or Manchester VT a,d doing some hikes Northbound. (not sure yet where to reasonably stop, if there are options to stop on the way)

4- Delaware : your option George
    Starting at Delaware water gap north (how to get there from NYC, to be determined (see my previous message))
    Ending somewhere between Harrimon (did you mean Harrisson? Could'nt find Harrimon), Pawling or Salsbury Conn. (if I got it right)
    Is this trail following the AT ?

5- Hatchee's option
    But I'm not sure I understood it right
    It's in Virginia, so quite far from NYC to get reached, but as soon as I'll have some information on how to understand his message I'll have a look

Wow.... that's a handful of options to assess !!
    I have to say option 4 seems appealing as it's quite close to NYC, and option 1 too (even if it's a longer drive to get there).
    Option 3 is interresting too, and same distance (roughly) from NYC than option 1...

What do you think ?

The option that I suggested would not work for you. I read your initial post hastily because I was baby sitting of my 10 month old grandson and missed the part about needing to be close to NY.

Hope you have a great time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Where the Trail crosses Interstate Highway 40, and then hiking north to where it crosses US Highway 321. These trail heads are quite far from NYC without convenient transportation option. Plus a two week hike would require over 21 km per day. That might be a little ambitious, based on your original post. You could stop sooner, but transportation options would be no better

https://goo.gl/maps/zdbNRyLp9Yo to https://goo.gl/maps/N6uBMKPJPWF2

Here is an on-line map of the trail that can be helpful for planning.

https://nps.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6298c848ba2a490588b7f6d25453e4e0

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

This means start at Delaware Water Gap (where the trail crosses from Pennsylvania into New Jersey) and hike north. https://goo.gl/maps/zxodCdfJgak

This hike has better transportation options although there are few places on the AT that are very easy to get to. However, hiking in New Jersey and New York would not give you as much of the mountains and views you were looking for. Also the end of July/ early August is the hottest time of the year. Because this section of the trail has the lowest elevations, there isn't much cooling effect from the mountains. The heat and humidity can be oppressive.

-

OK, it is all the Appalachian trail (a national park of sorts)

for starting best would be newark airport - 3 hour greyhound bus ride to delaware water gap (martz terminal) - 1 mile walk to trail
    other airports have public transportation options, just not as slick

1st exit:

http://www.myharriman.com/from-new-y...to-the-trails/

2nd exit is walk to pawling or wingdale train stations(daily) - or limited weekend service right on the trail
    I like Pawling for places to eat

3rd option is the least convenient - taxi or shuttle from salisbury to the trail at Wassaic Conn. but if you find yourself days early is a good option

a guidebook like AWOL or ap like guthook will give the needed trail / services / resupply details

Quote Originally Posted by cyril_13 View Post
    1- Shenendoah
    From Charlottesvile VA (I could get there from Washington (and getting there from NYC by bus maybe), then get a shuttle to the trailhead) to Harpers Ferry.
    Or the opposite, from North to South.

2- Maine, along the 100 mile wilderness
    But I'm afraid this would be to remote to get to and back from there.
    Plus it seems to be quite buggy in the summer.

3- Vermont : around the Green Mountains, somewhere between the long trail and the AT
    Not too far from NYC, starting from Williamstown MA or Manchester VT a,d doing some hikes Northbound. (not sure yet where to reasonably stop, if there are options to stop on the way)

4- Delaware : your option George
    Starting at Delaware water gap north (how to get there from NYC, to be determined (see my previous message))
    Ending somewhere between Harrimon (did you mean Harrisson? Could'nt find Harrimon), Pawling or Salsbury Conn. (if I got it right)
    Is this trail following the AT ?

5- Hatchee's option
    But I'm not sure I understood it right
    It's in Virginia, so quite far from NYC to get reached, but as soon as I'll have some information on how to understand his message I'll have a look

Wow.... that's a handful of options to assess !!
    I have to say option 4 seems appealing as it's quite close to NYC, and option 1 too (even if it's a longer drive to get there).
    Option 3 is interresting too, and same distance (roughly) from NYC than option 1...

What do you think ?
    1. I think Shenandoah National Park is a good option. It isn't too close to NYC, but it is close to Washington DC with easy connections to NYC. The southern end of the park is called Rockfish Gap and is close to Charlottesville and Staunton Virginia (both with train service, some bus service too, I think). The north end of the park is at Front Royal Virginia (109 mi / 173 km from one end of the park to the other). There is now bus service between Front Royal from Washington DC. Or you could go an additional 54 mi / 87 km north to Harpers Ferry West Virginia. There is a train from there to Washington DC. The section through the National Park is very scenic yet relatively easy hiking. You could possibly fly in to Washington DC and home from NYC. Washington is also a great city to visit, if you haven't been there.

https://goo.gl/maps/8RBJvrtfBTK2 https://goo.gl/maps/ojnbFvL9nVJ2 https://goo.gl/maps/2cqyJUix4y92

2. Maine: I think you have it figured out. It is very remote so getting there would be more difficult than other options. Plus resupply options are very limited.

3. Vermont: I have not hiked in Vermont, although I have traveled there. From what I have read, it could be a good option. There are a number of transportation options in Vermont. The closest major city and airport with international service would probably be Boston. The distance from NYC to Boston to the trail in VT is about the same as the distance from NYC to Washington DC to the trail in VA (option #1) so options #1 and #3 are very similar. You could also start or stop in western Massachusetts. This web page has links to companies that serve towns near the trail.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...tation-options

4. I discussed the New Jersey / New York option in my last post. Close to NYC, but the trails is probably not as nice as the National Park or Vermont options. Harriman State Park in in New York close to where the AT crosses the Hudson River (the lowest part of the whole trail) https://goo.gl/maps/ziri85bU8QQ2 Pawling NY is where the trail has its own train station, but with limited service. Note that the nearby town of Pawling has a train station with more regular service. https://goo.gl/maps/wPb24wX63eR2 You are correct, Salsbury is in Connecticut. From Delaware Water Gap to the Hudson River is 110 mi / 177 km, to Pawling is 155 mi/249 km, and to Salsbury is 206 mi / 331 km.

5. Great section of the trail, but probably too far south and hard to get to for you.

BTW, this website can be useful for figuring out distances between towns along the trail. http://www.atdist.com/atdist

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Just hit the Whites (New Hampshire) and hike on and off the AT. Mid Atlantic is fun but not really a good representation of the best offered by the AT.

153 mile AT section between Delaware Water Gap(DWG) at the NJ/PA state line and Pawling NY. Do it NOBO or SOBO. http://www.atdist.com/atdist Martz Trailways Bus goes from New York City Port Authority to Stroudsburg PA with a stop at DWG. 1.25 hrs one way. Literally get off the bus and you're within sight of the AT. Great views. NJ is an under rated AT hiking state. You'll be hitting the NJ state high pt. http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2011/06...er-gap-pa.html https://martztrailways.com/city-fares/ In Pawling NY(county Rd 20) is the Dover Oak on the AT and nearby a quicker Metro North RR train ride back into/or from Grand Central Station in NY City(under Madison Square Garden). http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/sta...il.cfm?key=166 You'll be hiking through a zoo and across some BIG bridges. I'd rather hike the NJ AT than the CT AT. Bus or trains operate between Grand Central and Port Authority NY OR as I like I walk it 20 or so blocks in about 15-20 mins with a UL pack.

My first big sections when I started section-hiking the AT were New Jersey and New York (split over two 1-week trips). Delaware Water Gap is a good starting point. Doing these 2 states will give you direct access to the train to NYC. Highlights include High Point NJ, lots of bear sightings, Bear Mountain Zoo (trail passes right through), and much more. First half of NY, although not tall mountains, i remember to be tough...especially in the hot summer months.

Alternatively, I really enjoyed the 100 miles of Massachusetts.

Images

I agree with post below, Delaware Water Gap would be a fine place to start if you are flying into New York. The AT in New Jersey is a nice section, and though the AT in New York was not great, it was OK, with a couple of nice surprises. As a second-place alternative, I might consider starting at that train depot in the middle of New York and heading north into Connecticut and Massachusetts, a couple of cute little New England states.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    As a second-place alternative, I might consider starting at that train depot in the middle of New York and heading north into Connecticut and Massachusetts, a couple of cute little New England states.
    I can get on-board with that. It's a nice section with lots of little tows that are easily reached from the trail corridor. I personally hated CT though...First try we got T-stormed out in mid-August (daily temps >95 F) and just got sick of the pattern. Thank God for the Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine. Great people there.

Hi everyone ! Sorry for the delayed reply, lots of work here... didn't have time to reply before.

That's awesome
    The links are very interesting and the link with the trail on the map is absolutely great!!
    So much information an links, it took me a few hours to read everything (or try to do my best to read everything).
    I guess, the 2 serious options now are Delaware (close to NYC) and Shanendoha (gives an excuse to visit Washington)

for Are there any specifics or logistic differences on these 2 options, such as weather conditions in end July/August, probability of bears encounters (not too find of that on our first trail), options for shopping for food on the way, amount of people on the trail at this time of the year...
    This could help us to pick "the one"

Again, thank you so much, your help is very great (not a proper sentence, but I cannot find the words for it )

Images

For information about public transportation between New York City and various places to hike, including the Appalachian Trail, explore this web page.

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by cyril_13 View Post
    ...the 2 serious options now are Delaware (close to NYC) and Shanendoha (gives an excuse to visit Washington)

for Are there any specifics or logistic differences on these 2 options, such as weather conditions in end July/August, probability of bears encounters (not too find of that on our first trail), options for shopping for food on the way, amount of people on the trail at this time of the year...
    This could help us to pick "the one" ...)
    I have hiked both areas and seen bear in both areas (more in SNP); however, I think SNP (Shenandoah National Park) would be my choice, especially if my husband were going with me. It offers not only great views, but also a few more "treats" at the occasional wayside (Big Meadows used to have the BEST cheeseburgers, Skyline the best breakfast... not sure if still true!). Granted, there were only like 3 or 4 of these stops in a 100ish mile stretch, but they offered us options if we wanted to treat ourselves... even with a beer! DWG is also a beautiful area.... FYI: Don't fear bears. They run from you like a wild deer... Just make sure to hang your food at night. SNP has cables, which makes this easier to do... Choices!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++