WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Eric Strum starts FKT attempt 6/28 SoBo.

Via Facebook from Ole Man:
    Dropped off Eric Strum at Abol. He's going for the speed record. GOOD LUCK ERIC!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I saw some SOBO trail runners in the Mahoosucs last week. There were four of them and at a trail junction which was a short cut down to the North Road, heard them talking logistics. Two of them headed down the side trail, and the two others continued down the AT. Rafe and I were sitting on a log taking a break and as they went by I asked what was the big rush. I got a dirty look in response. I was wondering if it was a SOBO FKT attempt. Maybe it was this guy doing a warm up hike?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Any background on this fella

Eric Strumpf
    An unsupported attempt.
    His Instant Gram thingy: here.
    His website: here.
    To follow Eric's hike: https://share.garmin.com/EricStrumpf
    Password: ATFKT2018
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Ounces are the little-death

Gonna be a big pack unsupported!

He doesn't appear to have an ultrasignup.

I'm not sure I understand the Garmin site. Did he travel 6.41 miles from 11am through 8:30pm yesterday?

Is there a reroute? https://puu.sh/AOJCi/58dd97c9e2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Yup. Baxter took the AT off the tote road and returned it to the original route several years ago. Now the trailhead is right across the tote road from Katahdin Stream Campground.
    Teej

Thanks for the details

Wonder if it is a short attempt? From the Garmin site, he took a whole day to cross Barren Mtn and there are now updates since 9 AM today??? From his tracking it seemed he was moving all night fro two nights in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Gonna be a big pack unsupported!

Obligatory Flextrek Whipsnake 37T video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

I am also confused by the garmin tech

We need travisrex on this

He’s done according to Instagram update

He’s done according to Instagram update

His website was already advertising motivational speeches he was going to make based on his experience attempting the record...before he even left.
    It seems plausible to think he only did this to get material and didn't even expect to finish.

Yes does not seem congruent to an actual attempt at an fkt

If you look at his tracking it looks like he was moving all night for the first two nights. So maybe 60 hours of continuous running is not an effective strategy.

Nope not at all

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    If you look at his tracking it looks like he was moving all night for the first two nights. So maybe 60 hours of continuous running is not an effective strategy.
    Maybe he didn't have the clock set right? Or maybe he thought night hiking would be better since it was kind of hot. Of course, night hiking in Maine you fall down a lot.

All in all, another clueless attempt. No mention of any backpacking experience on the web page. Only claims to be an "adventurer". Photoshopped picture of him in front of the Matterhorn.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I kind of felt that he grew his thru hiker beard before even hiking and posed for the part well or at least moderately well smh

Here's what he posted on FaceBook.

Thank you everyone who have been so supportive of this adventure. Unfortunately, my radical approach approach (around the clock push) left little margin for error and I had to come off trail yesterday for medical reasons. Although things started well - 48 miles first day - the rains, rivers, and ~70 hours of hiking without rest put me in a bind: my feet were close to trench foot and hobbling me severely but I needed to push harder to stay in the hunt. With two opposing needs (record vs health) and increasingly aware that my body would no longer do what I needed it, I initiated coordination to leave the trail and did so yesterday at noon after just 100 miles. I am recovering at Shaw’s Hostel in Monson, ME and hoping to be able to fly next day or so. If you have a strong stomach and want to see what I did when I checked my feet on day 3, swipe to the 3rd pic. I wish I could’ve continued and shared an epic journey with those who have been so supportive but it just may have been a bigger beast than I was up for. Let’s not allow that to stop from trying though right! All the best from recovery in Maine, “Bivvy” out. PS Bivvy is my new trail name earned for sleeping in an emergency Bivvy sack on the wilderness floor for last two nights while working toward the extraction point. @ Monson, Maine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++