WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Storage Bag

Several years ago I purchased a water storage bag that had the word BACKPACKER across the front of it. The outside of the bag was canvas with a plastic bladder encased inside. This gad had a single loop handle for carrying and on the outside bottom right was an outlet that had a rubber plug that enabled one to let water out of the bag by simply lifting the extruding tab. It is a great camp bag and I have used it for many years. Does anyone know if this bag is still available and if it is, where can it be purchased? Thanks!

Mine, similar, is 2.5 or 3 gallons, nylon outer covering and Wine in a Box type inner bladder. Dates back to the 70s. Also doubles as an air pillow.
    Liberty and Seattle USA are the only identifiable markings on the nylon shell.
    If I were backpacking with a small group it would definitely go with me.
    I think that these water bags went away with the dinosaurs.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Mine, similar, is 2.5 or 3 gallons, nylon outer covering and Wine in a Box type inner bladder. Dates back to the 70s. Also doubles as an air pillow. Wayne
    I also carried one of those for years. Then one winter I froze 2 gallons of water in the plastic bag and had to cut it open to remove the ice so I could carry the remains out of the woods! Then I just started using a gallon zip lock in the nylon carrying shell.

Haven't seen one for sale in a long time. Maybe when water bladders started becoming popular the demand for a water bag like that tanked.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I had a couple of 1 gallon bladders in nylon bags with a handle and valves, sadly they are gone. They were from a boating supply place. Can't find them anymore.

I now use a 3 liter platypus bladder with a push pull valve for clean water and a CNOC 2 Liter bag for dirty water. both have a loop to attach some cord for carry handles.

LL Bean has had them in the past not sure when I last saw them

1st link is busted, sorry

2nd one works, this is prolly not what you remember, but close?

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    1st link is busted, sorry

2nd one works, this is prolly not what you remember, but close?
    Define close?
    Heavier. More expensive. Readily available. I currently have a 2 liter Hoser and a 2 liter Seeker. Works for me.
    Wayne

close?
    Like...umm....when he described what he was looking for these came to my mind.
    OP can either use my suggestion or not.

Here is a picture of the actual water bag.
    Water Bag.jpg

Yep. Mine is similar.
    Wayne

I realize this thread is a couple of months old so here goes...do you like boxed wine enough to make a purchase? If so, consume the wine and clean out the bag for future use. I used a water/bleach mix to eliminate the wine taste and it seems to be fine. While the wine bag seems a bit flimsy, you could make your own outer bag (like what's in your photo) if you're so inclined. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Slightly different alternatives if you don't mind the top being open.

I use this one

10l bucket

and there's a lighter version

Ultra-sil folding bucket.

I usually just hang it as that is much easier than finding the perfect flat spot to rest it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post

Here is a picture of the actual water bag.
    Water Bag.jpg
    I have something similar and have also been looking for a replacement. I ended up with the MSR bag, but had to buy the larger spigot extra. The new MSR contains lead, if you read the warning under the description. Why?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by capt. photon View Post
    The new MSR contains lead, if you read the warning under the description. Why?
    The grommets of the MSR Dromedary Bag are made of brass. Brass is often made with a 2% lead content to enhance its machinability.
    So unless you plan to suck on the grommets, you shouldn't have to worry about the lead content in your MSR water bag.

++ New Posts ++