WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Second Leg of SOBO Flip-Flop

I'm leaving July 1 to Maine, up early on the 2nd to hike the Knifes Edge up to Katahdin to begin my second half of a flip-flop, already hiked from Harpers Ferry to Springer, May 1-June 20.

I thru-hiked as a NOBO in 2010, this time I wanted to mix it up a little and a flip-flop my schedule. I will say weaving through all the NOBO's was interesting and I'm sure to meet some of them again during this leg along with the weekenders in the Whites.

If any of you are out there I hope to meet you somewhere along the way.

Cool to hear about your second thru-hike, mid-way through the journey, Quik! Sounds interesting! It's great to see people thinking outside the box and approaching the Trail in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Cool to hear about your second thru-hike, mid-way through the journey, Quik! Sounds interesting! It's great to see people thinking outside the box and approaching the Trail in different ways.
    thanks Laurie- when I left out of HF on May 1 the whole town appeared to be asleep (4:30A) except for a couple of guys out for a predawn run, met them by the Jefferson rock. Hopefully you will be open when I finish this leg, I'll stop by when I get there.

I always thought if I were to flip flop I would hike NOBO from HF first and then SOBO from HF to finish. Doing it your way you will encounter a lot of the NOBO thru hikers 2x. Are there people you are looking to encounter (or avoid) your second time through the bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I always thought if I were to flip flop I would hike NOBO from HF first and then SOBO from HF to finish. Doing it your way you will encounter a lot of the NOBO thru hikers 2x. Are there people you are looking to encounter (or avoid) your second time through the bubble?
    Not looking to avoid or encounter anyone although I'm certain to meet a few that I met on the first leg. No one in particular stood out, so I'm not sure I will recognize anyone. As far as the bubble, I weaved around them, it was rare for anyone to slow me up unless I chose to stop and chat. I avoided the shelter scene other than get water sometimes cook and eat dinner then on my way, in/out of towns for resupply/laundry/shower and a couple of one night hotels stays. I fully expect the Whites to be crowded, NoBo's, SoBo's and weekenders, it's what it is. It's the hike I chose and one that fits my personal schedule the best this year. So far I've really enjoyed it as I expect to on the next leg. HYOH!

++ New Posts ++