WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vegetarian recipes

I'm heading out on a short (4-5 day) backpacking trip in about three weeks with two other guys. They don't have much backpacking experience but they're outdoorsy type people,in good physical shape and we're not planning big miles or lots of ups and downs . . . just some outdoor fun with three good friends.

So, here's the question. Since one of the guys is a vegetarian and I'll probably be in charge of most of the meal preparation, is there a good source of vegetarian recipes for the trail? I typically use a canister stove and dehydrate most of my own meals. I'd like to stick with that kind of a cooking routine just because that's what I'm most familiar with BUT, I'm not locked into that cooking style. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Vegetarian or vegan?

Lots of options - many dehydrated backpacking meals are veg-friendly, too, so you don't have to slog a lot of ingredients if you want quick prepare meals.

Here is a site with some good ideas too: https://www.trail.recipes/recipe-collection/vegetarian/

A little Google-fu and you'll have dozens of recipes to try.

Journal Entries

It wouldn't hurt to clarify what sort of vegetarian he is. If he's a strict vegetarian, he may want to have considerable control/input over the menu - unless he trusts your knowledge and judgment. Some vegetarians won't eat foods with gelatin, beef extract (whatever that is), chicken fat, etc, and are suspicious of "natural flavors." Others don't care. And many omnivores aren't tuned into these details.

I'd suggest sending him a tentative list and get some feedback. Or, show him what the backcountry cooking routine looks like, and see if he wants to plan some of his own meals.

When I plan our meals, I typically use simple foods: Ramen, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, pasta/rice sides. For Ramen, I toss the flavor packet and add in a mix of dried parsley, garlic powder, and parmesan. I've tried using TVP - textured vegetable protein, but haven't mastered that yet - apparently it's intended to absorb the other flavors of the dish so you have to plan for that.

If you bring along a small frying pan, you can add grilled cheese, quesadillas, vege-bacon, vege-burger. Sometimes I'll bring a small zucchini, saute it with some pre-cut onion, and mix in with the Ramen.

Good-To-Go in Maine and sold online and at REI, Little River Trading Company, etc. makes really good vegetarian backpacking meals.
    Search here for Tipi Walter’s vegetarian dehydrating advice.
    You could carry frozen veggie Burritos for your first night’s meal. You can find those in any decent supermarket. Instant oatmeal is vegetarian.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

He's not a militant vegetarian if that's what you're asking. In other words, he doesn't eat four legged critters but I don't think he's all that fussy about gelatin, beef extract etc. in fact, I believe he eats seafood, I know he eats eggs and dairy.

(I'm stealing my own thread here but, I used to work with a "vegetarian" guitar player named Ted. We went out to breakfast one night after a gig and he ordered eggs with a side of bacon. When I said that I thought he had told me that he was a vegetarian, he said, "I am, except for bacon.")

So, I guess there are all different types of vegetarians.

If he eats some seafood and no walk-meat or fly-meat, he is a "pescatarian".

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    He's not a militant vegetarian if that's what you're asking. In other words, he doesn't eat four legged critters but I don't think he's all that fussy about gelatin, beef extract etc. in fact, I believe he eats seafood, I know he eats eggs and dairy.

(I'm stealing my own thread here but, I used to work with a "vegetarian" guitar player named Ted. We went out to breakfast one night after a gig and he ordered eggs with a side of bacon. When I said that I thought he had told me that he was a vegetarian, he said, "I am, except for bacon.")

So, I guess there are all different types of vegetarians.
    I don't eat any kind of meat---including fish---but I do occasionally eat dairy (goat cheese) and sometime eggs---RX Bars etc. Unfortunately I'm allergic to cheese (sinus problems) so currently I'm on a No Cheese diet. My backpacking energy bars have egg whites in them---RX Bars.

91frJAbXPdL._SL1500_.jpg

Pescatarian, eh? I guess that's what he is then.

As a 22 yr pesce vegetarian I like wraps with foil packed yellowfin tuna in EVOO and whatever veggies. Sun Dried tomatoes might be a good addition. SunKist has their sun dried yellowfin tuna packets but the dried tomato flavor is slightly lacking comparatively, IMO. If you're friend eats dairy goat cheese or plant based cheese like made by Daiya added to a wrap can crowd please. Reconstituted Hummus made by Casbah or Bob's Red Mill(Garbanzo bean flour) brands or a small single serving size Sabra prepared with cukes, lettuce, avocado, radishes, etc. The rads and cukes are good for hot weather hikes. Since it's short hike the fresh produce isn't as big a a wt game changer. what's good is that these recipes can be adjusted for everyone in your party

Santa Fe brand instant refried Beans.
    Google Andrew Skurka’s Beans and Rice recipe.
    Wayne

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Take one vegetarian, add salt & pepper, roast at 350*...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I know a few vegetarians I wouldn't mind ...... oh never mind.
    Blackheart

Vegetables are what food eats

Red lentils, basmati rice, curry powder, salt, olive oil, water, boil, set in cozy 15 min, eat.

+1 on those Good to Go meals, especially when you're tired at the end of a long day. Also if you're planning on doing ramen, read the labels. Some have beef extracts and other wacky animal products.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Since I added a mildly snarky comment, I feel compelled to add something constructive: in addition to the (expensive) Good to Go meals, there are plenty of just-add-hot-water meals at the supermarket or Wally World at an affordable price. Some are sides that you can turn into a meal. One of my favorites is a Pad Thai in a box. I usually add canned shrimp or chicken, but a vegetarian could add TVP for protein and texture. I also enhance those meals/sides with dehydrated veggies from Harmony House (also a good source for TVP in various flavors).

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I don't eat any kind of meat---including fish---but I do occasionally eat dairy (goat cheese) and sometime eggs---RX Bars etc. Unfortunately I'm allergic to cheese (sinus problems) so currently I'm on a No Cheese diet. My backpacking energy bars have egg whites in them---RX Bars.

91frJAbXPdL._SL1500_.jpg
    I had me sum kinda some Bull Shyte last week that was pretty good

Garlic
    Images

Take any typical one-pot meal recipe with rice or potatoes and vegetables and meat, and don't add the meat until your friend takes his share.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

+2 on the Good to GO vegetarian entrees. Take one like the Thai Curry and add tempeh or dried tofu OR, since he's a pesce vegetarian, some shrimp(in a can or dried, found in Wally World under the BADIA brand in the International foods).47228158

-

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    problem I have found is they tend to have very little meat on their bones........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++