WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

I think a supported record is cool but it’s way more bada$$ to carry your own kit the whole way. Much harder and more challenging for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I think a supported record is cool but it’s way more bada$$ to carry your own kit the whole way. Much harder and more challenging for sure!!
    I agree wholeheartedly. The self-supported record is the monster record. Now the tracker is showing where Stringbean finished each day. It leaves an odd taste seeing a comparison of supported and self-supported times. It just happens that the FKT was self-supported. He's really going against Meltzer's supported time since the self-supported mark could withstand challenges (few and far between) for years to come. Concerning the PCT supported record and fire reroutes and an asterisk, etc., Stringbean also had some reroutes that he followed. The big key was that he hiked last and he knew the mark he had to beat. The amazing thing was by how many days Joe had lowered the record. It's very doubtful that Karel would have pushed himself as hard and taken 6 days off the 59 day time.

Quote Originally Posted by Math Teacher View Post
    He's really going against Meltzer's supported time since the self-supported mark could withstand challenges (few and far between) for years to come.
    Technically Meltzer holds the supported record, but I don't think anyone, supported or unsupported, has any target other than Stringbean's time. Because, really, all Stringbean had to do a minute after finishing the unsupported trek was to ask someone for a candy bar and tap the sign again, and say, there, I've got the supported record time now too.

Well, *technically* everything Stringbean did is legal under supported rules, so he has both self supported & supported.

Karel's IG says they're going for 93km today, which I think would put him at VA615 near Bland? If he gets there tonight I calculate he'll be 52 miles ahead of Stringbean. Unfortunately tracking hasn't been good today.

Tracker shows him about 3 miles south of Pearisburg at 437pm this afternoon, so about mile 633 on day 12, with a few hours of daylight left.

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    Karel's IG says they're going for 93km today, which I think would put him at VA615 near Bland? If he gets there tonight I calculate he'll be 52 miles ahead of Stringbean. Unfortunately tracking hasn't been good today.
    I don't understand why anyone is comparing his efforts to Stringbean's. Karel is a phenomenal ultra-marathoner but the only thing that he has in common with what Stringbean did is that he is running the same course that Stringbean backpacked. The two efforts can not be compared. Self supported vs message at night, icing his legs, someone cooking his meals, fresh clothes, not having to resupply, etc, etc.

NOTE: I'm not trying to diminish the ultra-run that Karl is attempting but they are two totally different animals.

We’re comparing because Stringbean has the record. If Karel beats SB’s time then SB will still have the self-supported record.

Yesterday, Karel covered the exact same section on day 11 that Stringbean covered on day 12, putting him one day ahead. It was also his biggest mile day at 56.6 miles so he has a 56.6 mile lead. If he matches Stringbean today, he will make it to Craig Creek (51.8 miles). To keep his current cushion he would also need to go up and over Brush Mtn (past the Audie Murphy Memorial) to Trout Creek (59.1 miles). If he continues his consistent pace he will be going up and over Dragon's Tooth early tomorrow (that will slow him down) and then to McAfee Knob for his photo op, later tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it is supposed to cloudy with a thunderstorm there tomorrow AM. Not a good time to be posing on McAffee Knob. Stay safe Karel.

I feel like I’m watching the World Cup all over again with our commentary.... “As it stands right now...” the announcers would say about the score, with lots of game left to play. He’s played his cards right to this point and has been a veritable automaton of sort, but Saabe (does he have a trail name yet? Why not call him The Real Muscles from Brussels) lots of trail left for things to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by stefschuermans View Post
    Next week, Karel’s wife will be coming to the US as well, and she will bring 2 new trackers that also operate on UTSM (3G), which will drastically increase the ‘live’ coverage of Karel’s adventure, because then the tracker can use any mobile provider again.
    It's been a week, so I suspect this happened. But the 'live' coverage hasn't noticeably increased. Just curious if the tech is still getting bogged down.

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    We’re comparing because Stringbean has the record.
    Speaking of comparing, I downloaded Karel's gpx file again and noticed that the timestamp data is now there. For some reason, conversion software such as GPSBabel and GPSVisualizer cannot extract the timestamps, perhaps due to some formatting glitch in the file. I'm no pro at this stuff, so it could be user error

Anyway, I was able to write some formulas in a spreadsheet and convert the file (after downsizing the massive data) to run an animated playback of the action thus far: http://www.animaps.com/pb/568540001/..._vs_stringbean.

This playback may offer a somewhat better comparison than the historical pins on the legends tracking map, which aren't moving in synchronicity with Karel's elapsed time. I've noticed Stringbean's pin has been stuck several hours behind elapsed time while poor Scott's is days behind now.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Anyway, I was able to write some formulas in a spreadsheet and convert the file (after downsizing the massive data) to run an animated playback of the action thus far: http://www.animaps.com/pb/568540001/..._vs_stringbean.

This playback may offer a somewhat better comparison than the historical pins on the legends tracking map, which aren't moving in synchronicity with Karel's elapsed time. I've noticed Stringbean's pin has been stuck several hours behind elapsed time while poor Scott's is days behind now.
    That is awesome! Really shows well how he is doing compared to Stringbean.

It's been a week, so I suspect this happened. But the 'live' coverage hasn't noticeably increased. Just curious if the tech is still getting bogged down.

Speaking of comparing, I downloaded Karel's gpx file again and noticed that the timestamp data is now there. For some reason, conversion software such as GPSBabel and GPSVisualizer cannot extract the timestamps, perhaps due to some formatting glitch in the file. I'm no pro at this stuff, so it could be user error

Hi Matthew, this is Tim, I'm the colleague of Stef at Legends Tracking. As far as I know, Karel's wife is flying to the US tomorrow, so just a little more patience.

Regarding the gpx, the reason you have timestamps now and didn't have them before is because before you didn't download Karel's gpx, but just the whole route of the AT (Hence the 27MB file). When you downloaded that file last week, we didn't even add the link to download Karel's gpx. We will have a look at the timestamps, might be that the datetime format coming straight out of the database is not compatible with gpx standards.

The pins of Joe and Scott are moving based on the data that we have, and Scott is missing a couple days of data on his Garmin page (I read before that his tracker was not turned on for a couple days I think). Joe is indeed often a couple hours behind, but only because we don't have more points, that is also why we added the 'Elapsed time' at the top of the page, and in the popup when you click on Joe's marker, so that a comparison can be made.

That's cool! matthew.d.kirk!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    That's cool! matthew.d.kirk!
    Thanks! I'll try and keep it updated. Despite the apparent gpx file formatting issue, now with the spreadsheet worked out, it's a pretty easy task: copy/paste and delete 'redundiculous' waypoints. Even after copious trimming on my part, Karel's waypoint count already exceed's Stringbean's entire track.

Thanks! I'll try and keep it updated. Despite the apparent gpx file formatting issue, now with the spreadsheet worked out, it's a pretty easy task: copy/paste and delete 'redundiculous' waypoints. Even after copious trimming on my part, Karel's waypoint count already exceed's Stringbean's entire track.
    Better, more reliable equipment, no?! The force is strong with this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Yesterday, Karel covered the exact same section on day 11 that Stringbean covered on day 12, putting him one day ahead. It was also his biggest mile day at 56.6 miles so he has a 56.6 mile lead. If he matches Stringbean today, he will make it to Craig Creek (51.8 miles). To keep his current cushion he would also need to go up and over Brush Mtn (past the Audie Murphy Memorial) to Trout Creek (59.1 miles). If he continues his consistent pace he will be going up and over Dragon's Tooth early tomorrow (that will slow him down) and then to McAfee Knob for his photo op, later tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it is supposed to cloudy with a thunderstorm there tomorrow AM. Not a good time to be posing on McAffee Knob. Stay safe Karel.
    I saw the tracker showing him at Craig Creek at 451am this morning, so that's either where he stopped last night, or a little short of there and got an early start.

He's ~3 miles past Lambert Shelter at 130pm, which puts him 6-7 miles from the Daleville/220 crossing. That's ~34 miles in 8 hr 39 min so far today. Really good time since he has Dragon's Tooth early this morning, as you said.

I don't know if we'd hear how his legs are doing, but he seems to have made it past the point where Jurek and Lewis were slowed down with leg issues. Doesn't mean he's in the clear, but it's a good sign. Younger legs? He's 28?

Karel could have some huge days coming up. He is starting to develop a lead whereby an "extremely" poor stretch of weather or debilitating injury would be the only things that derail a new record.

Matt-
    Looks cool as always.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunnerGuy View Post
    Technically Meltzer holds the supported record, but I don't think anyone, supported or unsupported, has any target other than Stringbean's time. Because, really, all Stringbean had to do a minute after finishing the unsupported trek was to ask someone for a candy bar and tap the sign again, and say, there, I've got the supported record time now too.
    That would be pretty gangster.
    Though not sure how well that would go over realistically.
    Not that I could... but that's really only something an arsehole like me would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Math Teacher View Post
    Karel could have some huge days coming up. He is starting to develop a lead whereby an "extremely" poor stretch of weather or debilitating injury would be the only things that derail a new record.
    Joe started slow. Jurek tore a quad.
    Joey tore a quad and bottomed out to a 10mi day... can't really think of one person off hand who didn't have a bad one.

Could Karel have a perfect trip?... he'd be the first.

Traditionally speaking... one should be about three days ahead if not more before Maine Junction if you're looking at a linear pace comparison NOBO.
    Comparing directly to Joe... best time up north by a good bit I believe.

So yar... some big days before he leaves VA would be helpful no matter how you want to see it.

Images

I think they are two different events. like a sprint vs cross country. There are advantages to both supported and unsupported. if you don't have the right crew, the crew can be a liability. ex. if you are carrying only enough supply to get to the next crew stop and the crew is not there, it will affect time and moral etc. the synergy has to be right between crew and runner/hiker for 46 days straight (on AT). In theory, the supported FKT should be faster but not that much faster (Stringbean on the AT is messing with the theory) However, if Stringbean had the perfect crew, the current AT FKT would be 44 days.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++