WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Aside from AT and LT, its not exactly a normal way to hike.
    So its pretty limiting if thats a necessity .
    But that also explains AT popularity with many
    not a ncessity at all. i hike other places where there are no shelters. i stay in my tent on the AT when it makes sense to as far as daily mileage and so forth. but if it's there, i generally take it

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    So?

I thru hiked last year. Never once did I worry about if another other hiker was deserving of Trail magic. Thru hikers aren't trail gods deserving all lowly section and day hikers to genuflect at their mere presence.

If I was out on a short hike today and came upon a cooler marked "thru hikers" I would help myself without a second thought.
    Because it dishonors the intent of the trail angel.

True, thru hikers are no more entitled or deserving than the day hiker, but if I was a day hiker and saw a sign that said, “for thru hikers”, I would feel like I was stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Because it dishonors the intent of the trail angel.

True, thru hikers are no more entitled or deserving than the day hiker, but if I was a day hiker and saw a sign that said, “for thru hikers”, I would feel like I was stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My sentiment exactly... your not taking from the "entitled" thru hikers. Rather, your taking from the trail angels who left something for thru hikers, not section hikers.

Helping yourself to what's not for you is the epitome of entitlement.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    our policy is that overnight hikers are created equally, and the services available at the cabin are on a first come, first served basis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Were the facilities available only on a first come, first served basis (like other AT shelters and campsites), do you think on a weekend night there would be any bunk space for long distance hikers? More than likely, bunks would be filled by 2pm, mostly by weekenders, groups, or other hikers who can adjust their schedules to arrive early in the day.
    Wait. Which is it, Cosmo? Are the facilities first come, first served or aren't they? You have two posts that appear to contradict each other.

I stayed at UGP in early June of 2017. The caretaker was pleasant and gave us the "lay of the land" when we arrived. There was no question who the caretaker was and she did not ask us if were thrus or section hikers. Not certain who in the place was a thru and who was a section hiker. There seemed to be enough bunks for all who arrived. Pancakes were awesome and the place had a good vibe. It was a chilly night and the fire and chairs in the den were awesome.

I find the friction between section hikers and thru hikers on this website interesting. If for no other reason than when I am on trails I never get that vibe. I was an AT section hiker, 350 miles in the SE, for 10 years before my thru. I met a handful of thru hikers in those years and always enjoyed their stories and picking their brains. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of douchebag backpackers I have met on the trails in all my miles. I continue to do weekend and weeklong hikes on the AT and other trails today and my attitude toward other hikers has not changed since my thru. Some of the most knowledgeable hikers I have ever met were section hikers, including some on this site.

There is however, something significantly different about a weekend or weeklong hike versus a thru. There is a dogged and tenacious commitment to purpose required to continue the extended time on the trail. There is no countdown to the end, until one has spent months away from loved ones, creature comforts and anything of familiarity. That journey creates a bond that is special, not just on the trail at the time, but even afterward, when thru hikers meet each other and share their experiences. I never felt I was entitled to anything special on my hike, but I did meet many people who treated me special and provided those little things that probably would have gone unnoticed by me on a section hike, but in those times they were huge acts of kindness and selflessness from my perspective. I appreciated the kindness I received at UGP cabin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I stayed at UGP in early June of 2017. The caretaker was pleasant and gave us the "lay of the land" when we arrived. There was no question who the caretaker was and she did not ask us if were thrus or section hikers. Not certain who in the place was a thru and who was a section hiker. There seemed to be enough bunks for all who arrived. Pancakes were awesome and the place had a good vibe. It was a chilly night and the fire and chairs in the den were awesome.

I find the friction between section hikers and thru hikers on this website interesting. If for no other reason than when I am on trails I never get that vibe. I was an AT section hiker, 350 miles in the SE, for 10 years before my thru. I met a handful of thru hikers in those years and always enjoyed their stories and picking their brains. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of douchebag backpackers I have met on the trails in all my miles. I continue to do weekend and weeklong hikes on the AT and other trails today and my attitude toward other hikers has not changed since my thru. Some of the most knowledgeable hikers I have ever met were section hikers, including some on this site.

There is however, something significantly different about a weekend or weeklong hike versus a thru. There is a dogged and tenacious commitment to purpose required to continue the extended time on the trail. There is no countdown to the end, until one has spent months away from loved ones, creature comforts and anything of familiarity. That journey creates a bond that is special, not just on the trail at the time, but even afterward, when thru hikers meet each other and share their experiences. I never felt I was entitled to anything special on my hike, but I did meet many people who treated me special and provided those little things that probably would have gone unnoticed by me on a section hike, but in those times they were huge acts of kindness and selflessness from my perspective. I appreciated the kindness I received at UGP cabin.
    Very well said! Looking forward to stopping by UGP shelter when we pass by in a few weeks, as I skipped it on my first AT hike (a series of 4-7 week LASH's, I personally am not capable of a 4-5 month hike mentally, and I have great admiration for those that do).

I stayed at Upper Goose Pond for an overnight in June at one of the campsites. Caretaker never asked if we were thru-hikers. I stayed twice before on overnights and never had an issue.

Pro tip: there are paddles in the cabin to use with the canoes at the lake. Bring a rod!
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post

I completely agree. I think all the drama regarding this is an internet thing.

When I thru hiked in ‘17 most overnight ears were happy to chat with me about what it was like to thru hike and I was always happy to chat back. I never thought “oh a section a hiker,” they’re just other people.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just finished rereading all the posts in this blog.
    I am glad to have come to the conclusion that most hikers who visit the cabin leave happy and pleased with their stay.
    It is also a pleasurer, for me, to reed the posts of the few disenchanted.
    I am very proud to say that I had 17 seasons as a volunteer caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin and may many others have the opportunity to enjoy it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Just finished rereading all the posts in this blog.
    I am glad to have come to the conclusion that most hikers who visit the cabin leave happy and pleased with their stay.
    It is also a pleasurer, for me, to reed the posts of the few disenchanted.
    I am very proud to say that I had 17 seasons as a volunteer caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin and may many others have the opportunity to enjoy it.
    Thank you for volunteering. The folks we chatted with during our stay there were wonderful and almost had two of my friends convinced to become caretakers themselves

Hi Grampie,

Might be another slow season at the Cabin. It's unclear when NPS will allow the Cabin to be staffed. Their current statement is that Trail facilities on NPS lands are closed "until the CDC declares the pandemic under control". Tenting is permitted at these overnight sites (Goose Pond is one of two in Mass on NPS lands), but shelters and privies are officially closed--although very few are actually locked in any way. The Cabin itself is locked, but the porch and picnic tables are accessible--but "closed" of course.
    Thanks for your years as a Caretaker--we are slowly bringing in a new generation, I hope we can get things opened up sometime later in the season.

Cosmo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++