WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Aside from AT and LT, its not exactly a normal way to hike.
    So its pretty limiting if thats a necessity .
    But that also explains AT popularity with many
    not a ncessity at all. i hike other places where there are no shelters. i stay in my tent on the AT when it makes sense to as far as daily mileage and so forth. but if it's there, i generally take it

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    So?

I thru hiked last year. Never once did I worry about if another other hiker was deserving of Trail magic. Thru hikers aren't trail gods deserving all lowly section and day hikers to genuflect at their mere presence.

If I was out on a short hike today and came upon a cooler marked "thru hikers" I would help myself without a second thought.
    Because it dishonors the intent of the trail angel.

True, thru hikers are no more entitled or deserving than the day hiker, but if I was a day hiker and saw a sign that said, “for thru hikers”, I would feel like I was stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Because it dishonors the intent of the trail angel.

True, thru hikers are no more entitled or deserving than the day hiker, but if I was a day hiker and saw a sign that said, “for thru hikers”, I would feel like I was stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My sentiment exactly... your not taking from the "entitled" thru hikers. Rather, your taking from the trail angels who left something for thru hikers, not section hikers.

Helping yourself to what's not for you is the epitome of entitlement.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    our policy is that overnight hikers are created equally, and the services available at the cabin are on a first come, first served basis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Were the facilities available only on a first come, first served basis (like other AT shelters and campsites), do you think on a weekend night there would be any bunk space for long distance hikers? More than likely, bunks would be filled by 2pm, mostly by weekenders, groups, or other hikers who can adjust their schedules to arrive early in the day.
    Wait. Which is it, Cosmo? Are the facilities first come, first served or aren't they? You have two posts that appear to contradict each other.

I stayed at UGP in early June of 2017. The caretaker was pleasant and gave us the "lay of the land" when we arrived. There was no question who the caretaker was and she did not ask us if were thrus or section hikers. Not certain who in the place was a thru and who was a section hiker. There seemed to be enough bunks for all who arrived. Pancakes were awesome and the place had a good vibe. It was a chilly night and the fire and chairs in the den were awesome.

I find the friction between section hikers and thru hikers on this website interesting. If for no other reason than when I am on trails I never get that vibe. I was an AT section hiker, 350 miles in the SE, for 10 years before my thru. I met a handful of thru hikers in those years and always enjoyed their stories and picking their brains. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of douchebag backpackers I have met on the trails in all my miles. I continue to do weekend and weeklong hikes on the AT and other trails today and my attitude toward other hikers has not changed since my thru. Some of the most knowledgeable hikers I have ever met were section hikers, including some on this site.

There is however, something significantly different about a weekend or weeklong hike versus a thru. There is a dogged and tenacious commitment to purpose required to continue the extended time on the trail. There is no countdown to the end, until one has spent months away from loved ones, creature comforts and anything of familiarity. That journey creates a bond that is special, not just on the trail at the time, but even afterward, when thru hikers meet each other and share their experiences. I never felt I was entitled to anything special on my hike, but I did meet many people who treated me special and provided those little things that probably would have gone unnoticed by me on a section hike, but in those times they were huge acts of kindness and selflessness from my perspective. I appreciated the kindness I received at UGP cabin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I stayed at UGP in early June of 2017. The caretaker was pleasant and gave us the "lay of the land" when we arrived. There was no question who the caretaker was and she did not ask us if were thrus or section hikers. Not certain who in the place was a thru and who was a section hiker. There seemed to be enough bunks for all who arrived. Pancakes were awesome and the place had a good vibe. It was a chilly night and the fire and chairs in the den were awesome.

I find the friction between section hikers and thru hikers on this website interesting. If for no other reason than when I am on trails I never get that vibe. I was an AT section hiker, 350 miles in the SE, for 10 years before my thru. I met a handful of thru hikers in those years and always enjoyed their stories and picking their brains. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of douchebag backpackers I have met on the trails in all my miles. I continue to do weekend and weeklong hikes on the AT and other trails today and my attitude toward other hikers has not changed since my thru. Some of the most knowledgeable hikers I have ever met were section hikers, including some on this site.

There is however, something significantly different about a weekend or weeklong hike versus a thru. There is a dogged and tenacious commitment to purpose required to continue the extended time on the trail. There is no countdown to the end, until one has spent months away from loved ones, creature comforts and anything of familiarity. That journey creates a bond that is special, not just on the trail at the time, but even afterward, when thru hikers meet each other and share their experiences. I never felt I was entitled to anything special on my hike, but I did meet many people who treated me special and provided those little things that probably would have gone unnoticed by me on a section hike, but in those times they were huge acts of kindness and selflessness from my perspective. I appreciated the kindness I received at UGP cabin.
    Very well said! Looking forward to stopping by UGP shelter when we pass by in a few weeks, as I skipped it on my first AT hike (a series of 4-7 week LASH's, I personally am not capable of a 4-5 month hike mentally, and I have great admiration for those that do).

I stayed at Upper Goose Pond for an overnight in June at one of the campsites. Caretaker never asked if we were thru-hikers. I stayed twice before on overnights and never had an issue.

Pro tip: there are paddles in the cabin to use with the canoes at the lake. Bring a rod!
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post

I completely agree. I think all the drama regarding this is an internet thing.

When I thru hiked in ‘17 most overnight ears were happy to chat with me about what it was like to thru hike and I was always happy to chat back. I never thought “oh a section a hiker,” they’re just other people.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just finished rereading all the posts in this blog.
    I am glad to have come to the conclusion that most hikers who visit the cabin leave happy and pleased with their stay.
    It is also a pleasurer, for me, to reed the posts of the few disenchanted.
    I am very proud to say that I had 17 seasons as a volunteer caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin and may many others have the opportunity to enjoy it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Just finished rereading all the posts in this blog.
    I am glad to have come to the conclusion that most hikers who visit the cabin leave happy and pleased with their stay.
    It is also a pleasurer, for me, to reed the posts of the few disenchanted.
    I am very proud to say that I had 17 seasons as a volunteer caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin and may many others have the opportunity to enjoy it.
    Thank you for volunteering. The folks we chatted with during our stay there were wonderful and almost had two of my friends convinced to become caretakers themselves

Hi Grampie,

Might be another slow season at the Cabin. It's unclear when NPS will allow the Cabin to be staffed. Their current statement is that Trail facilities on NPS lands are closed "until the CDC declares the pandemic under control". Tenting is permitted at these overnight sites (Goose Pond is one of two in Mass on NPS lands), but shelters and privies are officially closed--although very few are actually locked in any way. The Cabin itself is locked, but the porch and picnic tables are accessible--but "closed" of course.
    Thanks for your years as a Caretaker--we are slowly bringing in a new generation, I hope we can get things opened up sometime later in the season.

Cosmo

My Time at UGPS. Sunday, June 7th. 107th day. I had seen the canoe picture a dozen times in the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion. I knew without a doubt that some day I would be paddling UGP. The picture of the dock, canoe and hikers sitting looking out over the pond was all I needed to know that this was going to be a great place. There is a two story cabin about 40 yards up over looking the pond. Today would be the day that I had been waiting for. The weather was a little cool and windy, but the sun was shinning bright. I meet Nancy the Caregiver of the Cabin and we talked a few minutes and I let her know of my intentions of going out paddling in the canoe. But first I wanted to take an afternoon nap. I went upstairs and found a bunk to lay down.

When I woke up I put on my Crocs and a fleece jacket and went down to find Nancy. Nancy made me sign some type of Release Form which I didn't read and told me to pick out a life jacket that I didn't wear. She told me that I needed to keep the life jacket with me at all times. We walked down the path to the dock that I had been seeing in the old photograph, half expecting to see the same people there. Nancy asked if I had any experience canoeing and I told her that I owned my own canoe and that I had paddle for many miles down the Chattahoochee River, in local lakes and even through the Okefenokee Swamp. I told her that I felt comfortable in a canoe. I laid my life jacket in the canoe, took the stern seat and off I went.

It was windy on the Pond, but I have paddle in windy conditions before. When the wind hits a canoe broadside, the canoe acts like a sail. I took off across the Pond with no problems. I picked out a spot on the opposite shore line and made a straight line towards it. About 3/4 of the way there the wind pick up and and produced white caps on the surface. The wind started driving the bow of the canoe towards a small cove in which I did not want to go. I decided to turn the canoe around by using large round strokes. The bow(front end of the canoe) started coming up a little and the next thing I knew was I was flipping out of the canoe backwards, doing a backward roll. I let go of the paddle and was taken completely under water. I had learned from my Water Survival instructions that I needed to push my arms to my side and push my legs together to propel me to the surface. It worked well, I was up to the surface quickly. I surveyed the situation, the canoe had remained upright about five feet in front of me, the paddle was about 5 yards away and I was 20-30 yards away from the shore. The water was ice cold. I tried dog paddling over to the canoe, but became very tired. I went under water again. I tried the same technique again and came to the surface. Not quite as high as before. I dog paddled over to the middle of the canoe and knew how to get back into a canoe from the water.

I dog paddled (my best stroke) over to the canoe and raised my arms to reach the gunnels (upper sides of the canoe). My arms would not go high enough to reach the gunnels. I sank back down for a third time. I had been in the water only a short time, but I was exhausted. I performed the surface recovery technique, it brought me back up, but barely just getting my head above water. I reached up again but could not get my arms or hands up out of the water. I went down again. Everything was in slow motion. I thought that this is what it is like to drown. It was peaceful. I saw myself floating 4-5 feet below the surface of the water, thinking this is how they would find me. When I saw myself floating, I noticed that I was wearing a fleece jacket. I told myself, I have got to get out of that thing. Underwater, without much strength and little air left in my lungs I was able to take off my fleece. I don't really remember taking it off, it sort of fell off.

When the fleece came off, I pushed my arms together again and came to the surface. I easily reached up to the gunnels and noticed the life jacket inside the canoe. I was able to reach in and grab it. I put the life jacket on while in the water. I did not have the strength to get into the canoe at this time. I then swam over to the paddle and then threw that inside the canoe and swam to the front of the canoe and grabbed the bow line and swam over to the shore pulling the canoe. It was difficult to stand up. The lake bottom was uneven and rocky. I was shaking from the cold water and the strong wind. I could barely stand up. My heart was beating out of control. I climbed back into the canoe and started slowly paddling back to the dock on the other side of the pond. I knew that I would be needing my fleece jacket in the days to come. As I was paddling I looked down and saw my fleece jacket floating under water about 10 feet deep. I went back to the shore and got a long branch and tried to reach the jacket. The branch was not long enough, I went back and got a longer one. The wind was still blowing and there was a current moving the jacket. Several times I thought the canoe may tip over. Navigating the canoe, the wind and the underwater current, took its toll on me. But I was determined to get the jacket. It took awhile but I was able to hook it and bring it into the canoe. The fleece felt like it weighted 20 pounds. When I reached into the pocket, I felt my digital camera. That had been the least of my worries.

My arms were numb and my legs could barely support me as I walked from the dock up to the Cabin. Nancy was sitting on the cabin porch reading a book. I asked Nancy if see ever read the book or saw the movie 'Dead Man Walking'. She said she read the book and I replied, "Well now you are seeing a dead man walking". I told her the story and went up stairs to take a nap and say some prayers of thanks.

Sunday, a cool and windy day. These cool days keep the bugs away. Had a big climb out of Tyringham and made it to Upper Goose Pond in time to eat lunch along side the pond before hiking to the cabin. The pond is a small New England pond high in the mountains, surrounded with white birch, evergreens, birds, etc. The AMC/ATC keep a small two story cabin open during the warm months. No electricity. Campers do their own cooking in the small kitchen on a gas stove. The UGP Cabin has a canoe that you can use for free. Nancy was the Caregiver of Week, a physics school teacher from Bethel, ME. She comes down one week a summer to get some peace and quite and run the cabin. Nancy did make us pancakes Monday morning. Also staying in the cabin was Mo-Fo, Dave the Man, and Blue Moon. We had a great time sitting around talking late into the night, we were up to about 9:00PM. Dave was the one to call me 'CanoeMan'.

UPDATE: On July 11th, I was ready to throw the camera away along with it's battery charger. I decided to give it another try. After being submerged in UGP for 30 minutes the camera works fine. Another miracle. Tim 'Canoeman' Walsh

Journal Entries

Wow, Bilko, that's quite a story!!!
    Glad you survived. Not sure very many of us would have had our wits about us like you did.
    So easy for us to get overconfident. So easy.

I laid my life jacket in the canoe, took the stern seat and off I went.
    When going solo in a tandem, it is usually best practice to use the bow seat, facing backwards, to get your weight more toward center, and to put a big rock counterweight in the stern, which of course is the bow when you're facing rearward.

That sounds like a *really* close call!

What a great story Bilko that has led me down a fun cyberhole the past couple hours. You left out the Melville quote but that may be best in another thread.

My two stays were ho-hum. I would just assume pass the place by except for the great swimming in July. Perhaps I will use the canoe the next time but then I would be a day hiker or an overnighter. This story from 2015 is how the canoe journey may normally be: https://westernmasshilltownhikers.co...e-pond-island/.

"The day was largely uneventful, and I didn't see anyone for most of the day until I arrived at Upper Goose Pond. The shelter here is a wonderful, two-story building. Calling it a shelter is something of a misnomer since it's a full-fledged building with staircases instead of ladders, all four walls are accounted for, and there are even walls in the structure to create separate rooms. These are deluxe accommodations, right off the shore of Upper Goose Pond.
    Even better, thru-hikers are allowed to take the canoe out for a spin at no charge! I always regretted having not done that during my 2003 thru-hike, and I had no intention of repeating the mistake. I signed the waiver, put on a life vest, and Nancy (the caretaker) helped me throw a canoe into the water and off I paddled!

I asked Nancy if there was anywhere in the lake I should head to. Some sort of interesting destination to check out, and she suggested a small island near the middle of the lake and that's where I headed.

Hiking on the trail, I didn't feel much of a breeze, but out on the water--holy cow it was strong! On the way out, the wind was behind me and made the paddling easy. I had a bit of a challenge making it back, however, when I turned around and the wind was in front of me.

The island I aimed for was a tiny little thing and I longed to camp on it. How fun would that be? It couldn't have been more than 50 feet across. I could land the canoe and claim the land for... I don't know. Be a conquistador for a day. =)

One side had all sorts of elaborate cairns set up in the shallow water that I tried to paddle close to get photos, but the wind was hard to deal with. As soon as I stopped paddling to pick up my camera and take a photo, the wind would whip the canoe sideways and push me away from the cairns. I made several attempts and took a few sad photos from a distance, but I never did get the photo I was looking for.

I padded on a bit further to another strange dot in the distance that I couldn't quite make out. As I got closer, I identified it as another large cairn just off the shore. Even though it was on the shore of the "mainland," I suspected the person(s) who created it probably paddled out since there appeared to be no trails near this section of the trail.

After that, I paddled back to the shelter, making sure that I circumnavigated the small island I passed earlier. I'm an explorer, and explorers have to circumnavigate stuff. By the time I got back, my arms were exhausted having battled against the wind."

According to
    https://westernmasshilltownhikers.com/2024/08/07/upper-goose-pond-island/: "Before the 1960s, the small island on Upper Goose Pond in Lee was kept cut back from all vegetation and trees, remaining today is a concrete pier in the center on the highest point on the tiny island. There were four camps on Upper Goose, the owners of the middle camp were recreational astronomers and the pedestal was for a telescope."

That was quite an ordeal Bilko. Glad you were able to continue and that it didn't interupt your hike too much. When I went through there it was late fall, the cabin was already closed and it was cold for sure. I didn't stick around there.

I did not know that tip cmoulder mentioned. Seems like you remembered what you needed to survive and realized you should have had your life vest on. Canoes are tippy and getting dumped is not uncommon. If the water is moving, there goes the life vest if one is not wearing it. For the inexperienced, don't grab the sides of the boat if you get bumped around. It would be uncomfortable to flip the boat configuration around in my boat, it has molded seats. I do like try to weigh the bow down some if using solo. Coolers work good, especially coolers filled with adult beverages. My canoe has a lot of rocker and the bow gets lifted if solo so the wind will catch it more and make tracking difficult, it doesn't have a keel. It's a whitewater boat. Something I learned while on windy lakes and when in bigger rapids is to get off the seat and kneel. It improves stability greatly. My wife and I were out on a big lake in Maine once when the wind and waves kicked up. I finally realized I should be off the seat kneeling like in whitewater. You can also move to the middle of a tandem when solo and kneel there. It's challenging as well to climb back into a canoe if it is still upright. From the back is how I know to do it then inch in by pulling forward on both sides carefully. You can also hold on to the side usually and swim to shore but don't work too hard to drag it to the shore if far in the lake. On a river, just ride out the rapids and then get out when the river settles down. Keep your feet up and don't try to stand up as you can get caught and pushed forward and down. You are more important than the boat.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++