WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Yep, the thrus are the ones who curl up and take a zero when it starts raining in the morning, and the section hikers are the ones who gear up and head out into it... seen it happen several times.
    +1 on that!!!!! lol Some of us have to head back to work after our SAME hundreds of miles that was spoken of.
    How many hundreds does it take to be equal?
    What about that sobo that gets to the pond at 641 miles into their trip? however I am on the back nine of my completion with my 1550 miles so why does it frick'n matter what someone's intent is on the trail. I understand the "walked from next road up" folks, but whats the difference in someone walkin 300 miles or 1000 miles. Its rained, you've walked, ate, stayed in hostels, a tent, shelters, there is no difference other then at the end of my couple hundo I am going to go back and contribute to society until I can get back out there. That's my rant if you couldn't tell.

Good thread comes to mind...
    How undermining the word "just" can be....
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Upper goose Pond Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    We are seeing what happens when a resource is stretched beyond its capacity.

Some weeks at the Cabin, there is simply not room for everyone to have the experience they expect or desire. Too many visitors (of all kinds) are attracted to this special place, and there simply is not room to accommodate everyone.

Caretakers are put in a position where they need to allocate resources to some, but not to others. There are 16 bunks, there’s a finite square footage of griddle space, and one can only spend so much time washing dishes and bringing spring water across the pond for thirsty hikers.

Were the facilities available only on a first come, first served basis (like other AT shelters and campsites), do you think on a weekend night there would be any bunk space for long distance hikers? More than likely, bunks would be filled by 2pm, mostly by weekenders, groups, or other hikers who can adjust their schedules to arrive early in the day.

So, a priority of some sort has to be developed. Should the Cabin accept reservations? Are there enough volunteer resources to support that system? Should we just turn the whole thing over to the AMC so they can develop another revenue stream? Should thru hikers have some sort of registration system to “prove” they actually started at Springer (or Harpers Ferry, or Maine)? It’s a real problem, primarily due to the ever increasing number of Trail visitors loading a resource that has no means to keep up.

Yes, there are Caretakers who’s life skills and personalities can adapt well to gracefully allocating finite resources in a situation where who has preference is essentially impossible to determine (and, should the facility ONLY be open to long distance hikers—is that fair?). There are also Caretakers who have difficulty communicating respectfully in stressful situations. Unfortunately, the stressful nature of “high season” is driving those volunteers who do not thrive on chaos away (another resource being exceeded by the need to provide for an ever increasing number of visitors).

So where does this end? Does an increasing visitor dissatisfaction level result in more hikers opting to pass the Cabin by and rebalancing the demand on the resource? Do we develop more draconian rules and further limit a Caretaker’s flexibility? Should we just turn away all but the first 16 hikers? Maybe we just close the Cabin during July because we can’t accommodate the numbers of visitors.

Sorry to be painting such a gloomy picture—but the realities can be pretty daunting. We’ll continue to look for and train volunteer Caretakers, attempt to clarify ways to prioritize visitors, and continue to do our best to keep this resource available for all visitors.

Cosmo
    Cosmo thank you for this post. You have stated a lot of what my thoughts were.
    Happy Trails Grampie <2001- N>
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Show me the rule that states thruhikers get precedence over section hikers. What makes you think that sections hikers are just crossing the road and haven't hiked hundreds of miles?

Your infamous exit from the role of caretaker exhibited well enough your opinion of section hikers, and that your retirement was the best possible event for the future of the cabin. My hope is that other caretakers who become intolerant and unwilling to follow the rules for the sake of their own opinions will also depart the caretaker ranks.
    Sorry to inform you that my exit as a caretaker was because of the additional burden caretakers have to deal with and my 83 years of age.
    Your liberal views are apparent by your many posts. I understand why you express your self in the manner you did.
    Further more I did not refer to any hikers by calling them section hikers. My feelings are the same, if I offended you, it's your problem not mine.
    I would strongly recommend that you consider becoming a UGP caretaker. I am sure that you than could interpret rules any way you seam fit.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    <snip> our policy is that overnight hikers are created equally, and the services available at the cabin are on a first come, first served basis. Sounds like we need to do some calibration.

Organized groups (college, schools, camps, scouts etc) are welcome to camp at the campsites, but all the services at the cabin may not be available to them--at the discretion of the caretaker. I'll PM you my contact info so we can talk more.

Cosmo

With so many posts, I am left wondering what the actual policy is — for those who do not visit as part of an organized group.

Also, is this policy set by a chapter of the AMC?

If they are so adamant about reserving for only the elite thru-hikers the simple solution would be to post a sign on the approach to the shelter stating bunks are reserved for A.T. thru-hikers ONLY.....other mortals MUST use tent or move on....Not really seeing the problem here, do the caretakers have a badge designating their authority? If not they should, in my opinion.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    With so many posts, I am left wondering what the actual policy is — for those who do not visit as part of an organized group.

Also, is this policy set by a chapter of the AMC?
    good question.

my statement earlier about day hikers is based in part on something i think i read on here recently and also a vague sense that when i hiked through the area i did not stop at the cabin because i was not staying overnight and something (a sign in the lot on rt20 or on the trail, or perhaps something in a guidebook) had given me the impression they only wanted to be visited by people with intent to stay over night. it was about 8 years ago now though.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm at the cabin right this instant in a bunk. Nothing but a pleasurable, welcoming experience so far.

I walked here from Georgia but the caretaker didn't even ask if I was a hiking thru.

Entitlement? Section hikers are worse than thru's.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Yep, the thrus are the ones who curl up and take a zero when it starts raining in the morning, and the section hikers are the ones who gear up and head out into it... seen it happen several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    and thats exactly the problem.

so let me give you this hypothetical- i'm out on a week long 100 mile section hike. i arrive at UGP at 6pm at the end of a 20 mile day. i get the last bunk, but i am told if a "thru hiker" arrives i'll have to vacate it for them.

at 8pm a thru hiker arrives and i am asked to vacate.

if you think this makes sense or is in anyway fair or justified then you my friend are the walking epitome of why i, and others, can not stand a good number of thru hikers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    +1 on that!!!!! lol Some of us have to head back to work after our SAME hundreds of miles that was spoken of.
    How many hundreds does it take to be equal?
    What about that sobo that gets to the pond at 641 miles into their trip? however I am on the back nine of my completion with my 1550 miles so why does it frick'n matter what someone's intent is on the trail. I understand the "walked from next road up" folks, but whats the difference in someone walkin 300 miles or 1000 miles. Its rained, you've walked, ate, stayed in hostels, a tent, shelters, there is no difference other then at the end of my couple hundo I am going to go back and contribute to society until I can get back out there. That's my rant if you couldn't tell.

Good thread comes to mind...
    How undermining the word "just" can be....
    Awwww come on, can't we all just get along?

As a section hiker I will throw my 2 cents in. This is public land and structures we are all using, and unless otherwise stated in specific regulations (i.e. such as the rules in GSMNP) everything is first come first serve. So a thru hiker that walked 35 miles to get to a shelter or camp spot has the same authority to stay at that shelter as someone that walked 0.3 mile in from a side trail.

I personally have run into thru hikers that understand this and are very accommodating as well as thru hikers that went in the opposite direction ranting and raving about how "lesser" hikers shouldn't be using a certain shelter or camp spot. I've also seen sectioners that were very accommodating as well as sectioners that were real arse-holes. Oh, and don't even get me started on those weekenders and day use people

So let's not get all mad at each other, but rather let's come together singing Kum ba yah and be all peaceful and stuff.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    So let's not get all mad at each other, but rather let's come together singing Kum ba yah and be all peaceful and stuff.
    Serker your gunna make me sick

emoji_update_2017_10.png
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

This is public land and structures we are all using,
    in the case of UGP cabin is this really true? i dont know, but i'm going to speculate that if an organization feels it is their place and it is necessary to place a caretaker there who's task it seems is, in part, to decide who can stay there and who can not on the basis of how many miles one has hiked, then one would hope it couldnt possible be truly a public structure in the same way most AT shelters are or that the swing set in the town park is.

Journal Entries
    Images

Owned by the NPS, and managed by the AMC for the exclusive use Thru Hikers and Section Hikers.

At least that is what it says on the AMC’s website:

https://www.outdoors.org/lodging-cam...ns/upper-goose

Or carry a frickin' tent already, bring your own pancake mix and pretend UGP doesn't exist.

dr-evil-austin-powers-33220839-480-386.jpg

I go into the woods primarily to get some exercise and to get away from people and stuff like this. I simply cannot understand the allure of sleeping in a bunkhouse with a bunch of stinky, snoring people and waiting to be served breakfast sometime well past sunrise when I'd normally have been on the trail for a couple of hours. Absolute best hiking time of the day IMO.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Or carry a frickin' tent already, bring your own pancake mix and pretend UGP doesn't exist.

dr-evil-austin-powers-33220839-480-386.jpg

I go into the woods primarily to get some exercise and to get away from people and stuff like this. I simply cannot understand the allure of sleeping in a bunkhouse with a bunch of stinky, snoring people and waiting to be served breakfast sometime well past sunrise when I'd normally have been on the trail for a couple of hours. Absolute best hiking time of the day IMO.
    Some people have different idea if what hiking is about , obviously. They need people and structures. They dont like being in woods at night, and they dont like being alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Some people have different idea if what hiking is about , obviously. They need people and structures. They dont like being in woods at night, and they dont like being alone.
    In which case they're going to be very restricted in their choices and will have to put up with crap like this on a regular basis. Accept it or find a different hobby.

See Cosmo above. Very clear delineation of the issues.

Ah, but if thats what people are looking for, they won't be putting up with crap, they will be embracing the experience. Much like I would embrace the solitude of miles away from the same group. Its hard sometimes to understand what draws people to what they enjoy within the hiking world like the festival in Damascus, hiker feeds, cell phone calls from views, and car camping have me scratching my head. Conversely, those folks would probably find the things I enjoy bordering on silly as well.

Carping about it on WB doesn't sound like embracing the experience.

Whatevs....

Images

In which case they're going to be very restricted in their choices and will have to put up with crap like this on a regular basis. Accept it or find a different hobby.

See Cosmo above. Very clear delineation of the issues.
    i really dont like setting up, sleeping and then packing up a tent. i view it as a necessary evil of doing something i do, on balance, enjoy very much. but i'll jump at a chance to dispense with all or part of it anytime one occurs along the way. same goes, to a lesser extent, with cooking on a backpacking stove and all that entails (ie carrying the things necessary to do it well)

that said if there 15 people in a bunkhouse and i was offered spot #16 i might choose my tent, but it depends.

this is one of those things like the "you're hiking too fast" argument. ever read posts where people tell those who like to tent in solitude theyre doing it wrong? nope. but you read plenty of posts about how sleeping in a shelter or similar is doing it wrong.

i really dont like setting up, sleeping and then packing up a tent. i view it as a necessary evil of doing something i do, on balance, enjoy very much. but i'll jump at a chance to dispense with all or part of it anytime one occurs along the way. same goes, to a lesser extent, with cooking on a backpacking stove and all that entails (ie carrying the things necessary to do it well)

that said if there 15 people in a bunkhouse and i was offered spot #16 i might choose my tent, but it depends.

this is one of those things like the "you're hiking too fast" argument. ever read posts where people tell those who like to tent in solitude theyre doing it wrong? nope. but you read plenty of posts about how sleeping in a shelter or similar is doing it wrong.
    I didn't say they're doing it wrong.

I said I don't understand the allure, but if they're going to do it like this to accept the limitations and problems associated with it. It is no mystery that as resources become more and more scarce there is often an increase in rudeness and hostility.

And I've said many times that shelters aren't for me, although if people choose to utilize them it's no concern of mine.

Images

I didn't say they're doing it wrong.

I said I don't understand the allure,
    ok, i'll amend my statement- i understand the allure of sleeping in your tent off by yourself somewhere, i just don't share it. i would never question why anyone would want to do so. the reasons are plainly obvious.

while it is fine to not share the allure of sleeping somewhere like UGP, i find it strange that someone can claim to not understand the allure, because again, the allure is obvious. i don't really buy that anyone can claim to not understand what it is.

what makes it not so alluring are the issues being discussed in this thread. your argument is basically "well see, this is why my way is better, so either accept that doing it your way sucks or stop complaining and do it my way."

Journal Entries

Aside from AT and LT, its not exactly a normal way to hike.
    So its pretty limiting if thats a necessity .
    But that also explains AT popularity with many

ok, i'll amend my statement- i understand the allure of sleeping in your tent off by yourself somewhere, i just don't share it. i would never question why anyone would want to do so. the reasons are plainly obvious.

while it is fine to not share the allure of sleeping somewhere like UGP, i find it strange that someone can claim to not understand the allure, because again, the allure is obvious. i don't really buy that anyone can claim to not understand what it is.

what makes it not so alluring are the issues being discussed in this thread. your argument is basically "well see, this is why my way is better, so either accept that doing it your way sucks or stop complaining and do it my way."
    Except I didn't say that.

I said what I think and if you want to infer more I can't stop you.

Reading comprehension, a lost art.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++