WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Marmot Precip vs. Patagonai Houdini

I have both, bought on sale and after 2 weeks in the Alps (no big downpours and 41F/5C being the lowest temperature throughout the hike) Houdini was all I needed and Precip stayed in the pack.

I have trouble choosing which one to take with me to Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan this fall (more windy and at times a bit colder conditions expected). Is Precip really that much more weather/water-resistant to justify a 220g/8oz weight increase over Houdini? How warmer will it be than Houdini in temperatures around freezing?

Any advice from those who have had a chance to use and compare those (or similar) garments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by yakshto View Post
    I have both, bought on sale and after 2 weeks in the Alps (no big downpours and 41F/5C being the lowest temperature throughout the hike) Houdini was all I needed and Precip stayed in the pack.

I have trouble choosing which one to take with me to Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan this fall (more windy and at times a bit colder conditions expected). Is Precip really that much more weather/water-resistant to justify a 220g/8oz weight increase over Houdini? How warmer will it be than Houdini in temperatures around freezing?

Any advice from those who have had a chance to use and compare those (or similar) garments are appreciated.
    The precip is considered a waterproof rain shell, whereas the Houdini is a water resistant wind shell. The Houdini will provide some level of water resistance in light precipitation but it will fail in a downpour. That’s the main reason for choosing the Precip over the Houdini if you had to choose one to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The precip is considered a waterproof rain shell, whereas the Houdini is a water resistant wind shell. The Houdini will provide some level of water resistance in light precipitation but it will fail in a downpour. That’s the main reason for choosing the Precip over the Houdini if you had to choose one to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My experience with the Precip was that it was useless as a rain shell. YMMV.

Look at the REI CO-OP Rainer Jacket. Light (10oz), good reviews in the rain, a good price, REI's return policy!

https://www.rei.com/product/127336/r...in-jacket-mens
    Last edited by DownYonder; 07-08-2018 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    My experience with the Precip was that it was useless as a rain shell. YMMV.
    Interesting. I've used them for the last 8-10 years and they've worked just fine. What happened in your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Interesting. I've used them for the last 8-10 years and they've worked just fine. What happened in your experience?
    My wife uses her Precip as a commuting shell and has done her great in downpours while waiting for buses.

Also I wore my Houdini in a medium mist recently and was soaked in like 15 mins :/

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    My wife uses her Precip as a commuting shell and has done her great in downpours while waiting for buses.

Also I wore my Houdini in a medium mist recently and was soaked in like 15 mins :/
    Sounds about right. In May, I made the mistake of taking the Houdini for a backpacking trip in PA based on my standing 'don't waste time with rain gear in the summer' policy. It rained hard all day long on Saturday and temperatures were in the mid 50's. I was drenched within minutes of getting started in the morning, and the trail was like a flooded creek for a solid 9 miles. Borderline hypothermic by the time we got to the shelter. Sure wish I'd sprung for the Precip instead on that trip.

Something about having a wet torso and feet immersed in cold water makes losing core body temp pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Something about having a wet torso and feet immersed in cold water makes losing core body temp pretty quick.
    Definitely. The problem was easy to diagnose, but a bit harder to resolve mid-trip. Simplest solution was just to keep moving until we got to a spot where we could get out of the rain and warm up for a bit. More of a learning experience than a real hazard, but definitely one to remember.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Mine wetted out in a matter of minutes, literally between the parking lot and the office door. Based on the report everyone else seems to provide, maybe it was - or should have been - a reject.

Journal Entries

I owned a Precip for a long time and never had any problems. When the Packa came out I waited awhile and finally bought one. It is great, and I like that I can get into quickly with out removing your. It also covers my pack and and straps so everything stays dry.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++