WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default HMG Windrider 2400

I bought this pack last year and will be using it soon on my first section hike. I love the pack, but...

HMG says this about the pack "...A first choice for goal-oriented backpackers and thru hikers..."

I'm doing a six day, five night hike and have a small summer 45* bag, Neo Air Xlite pad and a TarpTent Stratospire 1. I'm taking what I would consider a standard lightweight (not truly UL) kit and have found I can't fit everything in the pack. The only way it will work is if put my tent on the outside on the top of the pack.

Are there any other fellow 2400 owners who can chime in whether they did have the same issue?

Thanks

I do not have this pack, but have always put my tent on the outside of my pack, never understood why people want the thing inside.

Having said that, I take the phrase "Goal oriented" as a professional way of saying "We cut weight by eliminating critical components for a comfortable, and ergonomic pack system, and for that weight savings you are going to sacrifice some comfort and versatility in this pack.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I have the 2400 Windrider and put a lot more stuff in mine than what you described.

Suggestion:

1. Tent poles vertical in outside pocket. Of your tent has them.

2. We use the HMG pods for our quilt/sleeping bags.

3. Air pad we fold and do not roll up.

4. Mesh pocket on outside for fast access items.

5. Foam pad (if using) on the top strap.

6. We use the HMG Pods and love them. But I suffer from OCD and enjoy organization.

We have just wrapped up our 2 weeks hiking the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, CA with ours.

Hope this helps.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops forgot to mention that we use s pod for our tent and refold it to fit inside the pod instead of the original tent bag.

TF

1. Top pod-10 degree EE Quilt
    2. Middle Pod-sleeping clothes/repair kit/medical/hygiene/
    3. Zpacks Triplex Tent
    4. Xped Air Pad

Hope this helps

TF

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    I bought this pack last year and will be using it soon on my first section hike. I love the pack, but...

HMG says this about the pack "...A first choice for goal-oriented backpackers and thru hikers..."

I'm doing a six day, five night hike and have a small summer 45* bag, Neo Air Xlite pad and a TarpTent Stratospire 1. I'm taking what I would consider a standard lightweight (not truly UL) kit and have found I can't fit everything in the pack. The only way it will work is if put my tent on the outside on the top of the pack.

Are there any other fellow 2400 owners who can chime in whether they did have the same issue?

Thanks
    If having the tent on top is what it takes then that's what it is. Too many extra clothes? The rest of your gear list might tell why you can't fit a week trip in it. Don't let the nay sayers steal your buzz. HMG has sewn on hip belts on their packs and that equates to a good load transfer to the hips. I have a 2400 and it won't quit as in I can't seem to wear it out hard as I try.

++ New Posts ++