WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Collegiate West - Labor Day week

Anyone want to hike the Collegiate West or somewhere else in Colorado starting on Labor Day weekend? I believe that's around 80 miles or so. Me: 35 y/o guy, preferred pace 12-15 miles per day. Plenty of hiking experience, just finished a 96 miler in Scotland; have completed close to 150 miles on the CT in sections, at least 100 miles on the A.T., including Katahdin, just finished the Devil's Thumb Loop this past weekend, etc. You - just be normal, open minded and willing to wake up very early to beat the storms on the Collegiate West (if there still are any in the beginning of September). If you have an alternative trip in mind in September, I'm open to that too. Thinking other sections on the CT or even the Maroon Bells loop. Look forward to hearing from you.

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_9759.jpgIMG_3339.jpg

If you were wanting to go early August I would absolutely take you up on this. I did the Collegiate East in June but my dog got hurt and we couldn't finish the loop. I can't do September though, much as I would like to

Get past Breckinridge by noon on the Friday before Labor Day if coming from Denver. Thursday would be better.
    The Turquoise Lake Campground and trail area west of the Safeway in Leadville is a good 10,000’ place for acclimating.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    If you were wanting to go early August I would absolutely take you up on this. I did the Collegiate East in June but my dog got hurt and we couldn't finish the loop. I can't do September though, much as I would like to
    Co is tough on pups! Mine has got hurt both trips to Co...no more trips out west for him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Co is tough on pups! Mine has got hurt both trips to Co...no more trips out west for him..

I still don't know what the issue was but he is getting older. The trail was no tougher than we've done in Wyoming where we've done several 60+ miles without issue. I think it was just an off-trip.

still looking for hiking partners for the Collegiate West starting Labor Day weekend, message me directly if interested please or email [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by bpowell1014 View Post
    still looking for hiking partners for the Collegiate West starting Labor Day weekend, message me directly if interested please or email [email protected].
    It’s an easy solo trip.....l did it few years back late sept and ran into several sobo cdt hikers...I’m sure Labor Day will be a zoo out there!

Journal Entries

No need for partner, there will be enough company on trail.

Make push to camp at lake ann pass if can.
    The cirque below actual pass is reasonably sheltered, great campsite.

IMG_20170715_083445850.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No need for partner, there will be enough company on trail.

Make push to camp at lake ann pass if can.
    The cirque below actual pass is reasonably sheltered, great campsite.

IMG_20170715_083445850.jpg
    Amazing pic!! I wanted to camp there so bad but it was my last day and had to push all way to TL after losing a day to severe winter weather....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Amazing pic!! I wanted to camp there so bad but it was my last day and had to push all way to TL after losing a day to severe winter weather....

From the crest of the pass:
    IMG_20170715_092456497.jpg

Thanks for the where-to-camp pics. Looks AMAZING. I know the weather is hard to predict but what should I expect the first 8 days into September? Are the thunderstorms usually still prevalent during this time? I remember reading about one section high above tree line that people get up at like 3 am to hike to avoid being stuck with afternoon thunderstorms at altitude. Also, do you think nights average below 20 degrees at that time of year? (my sleeping bag rating). Thanks! I’m stoked.

And one more question...what do you do with your food in nights above tree line? I don’t want to carry a heavy ursack.

Images

And one more question...what do you do with your food in nights above tree line? I don’t want to carry a heavy ursack.
    We always try to avoid sleeping above treeline, but of course it's not always possible. Sometimes you can find a nice tall rock or cliff band to hang from. If you cannot, just sleep with it. I have seen at least a dozen bears over the decades in Colorado, but I've never seen one above treeline.

Thanks for the where-to-camp pics. Looks AMAZING. I know the weather is hard to predict but what should I expect the first 8 days into September? Are the thunderstorms usually still prevalent during this time? I remember reading about one section high above tree line that people get up at like 3 am to hike to avoid being stuck with afternoon thunderstorms at altitude. Also, do you think nights average below 20 degrees at that time of year? (my sleeping bag rating). Thanks! I’m stoked.
    It's a statistical thing, the t-storms do in fact drop off pretty well into September, but there is no guarantee. Six years ago, for their 100th anniversary celebration, our local mountaineering club decided to put a team on top of all 53 legal 14ers on one day... Guess what day they chose for this attempt? Yep, September 8th. We did it! 53 separate 14er climbs, all over the state, no thunderstorms, in fact, not a cloud in the sky. Here's our team on top of Snowmass Mountain... (and yeah, that guy IS 7 feet tall)

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the temperature question: I doubt you'll have temps below 20, probably lows in the low-mid 30's at night, occasionally dropping into high 20's. Statistical though, no guarantees! But a 20 degree bag will be fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 08-10-2018 at 20:10.

++ New Posts ++