WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    -

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    We didn't hear back from George so either he's out enjoying the River Country tent or it put him off backpacking forever.
    Actually I am enjoying neither - in a bivy in chestnut knob shelter, about to get 2 days of winter mix, so nice to not use a tent

-

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You had it right with the devil's comment.
    It happens in all fields when people have a bit of an idea on the subject but not a deep knowledge.
    Often, particularly males, get stuck comparing numbers when not knowing what they really mean.
    Nice internet warrior comment

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You had it right with the devil's comment.
    It happens in all fields when people have a bit of an idea on the subject but not a deep knowledge.
    Often, particularly males, get stuck comparing numbers when not knowing what they really mean.
    +1

Superficiality runs deep.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Interesting.do you know what the number is for cuben fiber? Gore text jackets are usually around 10000mm and non breathable jackets around 20000

DCF is 3500 on up. For a shelter fabric that's pretty WP. It can decrease with use though.

There are 10-22k mm rain jackets that have high vapor transfer.

10 yes but at 20 I doubt anything goes through the fabric but I'm no expert on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Nice internet warrior comment
    There is a small chance that I may have a bit more experience with tents than you.

[QUOTE=T.S.Kobzol;2228243]Interesting.do you know what the number is for cuben fiber? Gore text jackets are usually around 10000mm and non breathable jackets around 20000mm
    It depends on what type of Cuben Fiber ( now DCF) its used. There are dozens of different thicknesses and layer combinations.
    There is a huge difference in the waterhead required for jackets compared with tents because the surface tension is compleately different.
    An easy way to understand this is to think of the old canvass/cotton tents that kept water out as long as you do not touch the fabric itself from the inside. Once you do , they started dripping.
    As mentioned, the EU standard for tent waterproofness is 1500mm, many well known brands have 1200mm for most of their LW shelters, some brands go as low as 800mm.
    BTW, each type of material, say nylon,silnylon, polyester, silpoly,PTFE and so on, can have a very different waterhead rating.
    So you can get silnylon rated at 800mm or so all the way up to over 5000mm. A common mistake is to equate weight with strength and or waterproofness.
    The still popular Eureka Timberline, for example, 75 D polyester, at 6 lbs or so for a double , does have an advertised 800mm waterhead rating.

[QUOTE=T.S.Kobzol;2228243]Interesting.do you know what the number is for cuben fiber? Gore text jackets are usually around 10000mm and non breathable jackets around 20000mm
    BTW, again, the tent posted by the OP is in polyester , not nylon.
    75d polyester, in particular, can cost as little per square yard as 1/10th the cost of a decent 30d silnylon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++