WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Try going stoveless on a couple of shorter warm weather trips. Try it at home eating in the back yard on a cool rainy day when you're soaked. Try it in the morning before work. Come home from work. Go into the back yard and try it again for dinner when it's now cold outside. Climb into your shelter...OUTSIDE. Sleep. Do it for consecutive days. Don't cheat! Don't retreat back to the fridge, stove, or into the house. Is it satisfying? Is it worth it... to always go stoveless...on every trip, every meal, everyday? Ask yourself, " should I/could I leave my options open for different scenarios?" Could I take a hybrid multi layered wt and bulk savings eating and consumption approach rather than it be an all or nothing cooking decision?" Additionally, I'd be asking myself "am I truly that UL/SUL evolved that this is going to save me the wt and bulk that I assume especially when compared to other kit categories possibly not yet as deeply examined for wt and bulk savings?" Most going stove less to save wt and bulk don't realize the savings they assume and do so sacrificing other often ignored positive consequences.

Intended wt and volume savings could be approached, whether using a stove or not, by: wiser highly nutritious UL(lower wt and bulk) selection of food...AND packaging/repackaging...AND choosing to not cook every meal or every day to extend fuel use...warming up food over a small twig fire to additionally extend fuel use...AND resupplying more often...AND mixing into trips highly dense nutritious powders...AND being acutely aware of wiser water logistics.

BY conservative guesstimate at least 50% I observe going totally stove less in an attempt to never consume hot food to save wt and volume offset their stove, cookpot, and fuel wt and volume savings by consuming bulkier often heavier highly processed overall nutritionally dismal foods. These are often the people that smell like pepperoni or have deli meat breathe with food stuck between their teeth. Those that truly save wt and volume going stove less while not sacrificing nutrition, food diversity, and other desirable characteristics are few. Many I see going stove less on LD hikes have very narrowed food selections. Wraps all week? Cold or dry oatmeal or cold soaked Ramen again? PB again? Cheese again? Deli meats again? Foil tuna packets again? A glob of mayonnaise squeezed out of a packet again? Convenience and gas station store pretzels and chips again? That is what I see the most eaten by the stove less. Although not monopolized by the stove less approach this can lead to accumulating excess packaging waste.

I see going stove less to save wt and bulk as an advanced potentially wt and bulk saving approach. I don't see the majority going stove less to be truly that UL/SUL advanced. So, then in my mind, it turns into a convenience of not cooking issue which appeals to many in the U.S. culture...cede to someone else food(food like) preparation. Personally, I enjoy making my own diversity of meals and snacks, knowing what's in my food, where it came from, and tweaking nutrient content...on and off trail. I find it not a hassle but a satisfying and worthy component in achieving this goal. I always like to have fresh "living" produce on trail...NOT found in Dollar Stores and typically in short or no supply at gas stations and convenience store resupply. This can be done also by the stove less but I see it as the exception rather than the rule.

I don't see a great UL hassle in terms of volume and wt or time consuming cooking or clean up hassle including a UL/SUL DIY alchy warm weather set up or Esbit system on a LD U.S. hike... I don't see a necessity for a great clean up or food prep hassle when, from the get go, they are kept simple. Is boiling water that much of a hassle? Is cutting up some green onion or adding fresh chopped garlic to a Good to Go Thai Curry dinner that much a chore in today's on trail community? Is mac n cheese that hard to clean up, even without water, when cleaned before it's dried onto the pot? Is cleaning up after a light broth based soup that big a hassle?

I really like to go stoveless on shorter duration warm weather weekend type trips where I'm practicing advanced UL/SUL philosophy going very fast. Other times I like including the stove but not cooking every meal or every day. AND, I have absolutely no issue doing BIG miles and experiencing a profound trail LIFE even if I'm cooking. Looking into the flames and having the light of a fire has additional pleasurable appeal for me.
    This guy has it right.

Shorter, more goal oriented trips where the fine details are all pre-planned in advanced I would consider going stoveless.

Most repeat offenders and lifers I know are carrying a stove. That doesn't have to be a heavy cook kit as I mentioned in a post above.

Seriously. You could just carry a titanium mug and three esbit tabs. Use three rocks to make and esbit stove and warm water in mug.

Techincally, your still stoveless lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I pulled an 18 day no-cook stoveless backpacking trip in April 2015 when I had to go "ultralight" and keep up with my BMT thruhiking friend Amy Willow---I even ditched my usual 8 lb 10 oz tent for a 3 lb Akto. And back in the late 1990s early 2000s I did all my trips stoveless because my Svea 123s were all dead and I didn't yet upgrade to the MSR Whisperlite.

Let's reason it out. On a butt long trip without resupply your food load will be lighter if you bring a stove---because no-cook food is heavier than dehydrated to-cook meals. Snack foods (no cook foods) contain more water generally than dehydrated meals. You're carrying this water inside the food on your back. Dehydrated meals do not contain this water and the water you need to cook up these meals is available not on your back but in the woods from creeks and springs.

This really becomes important when your trips reach 10 to 15 to 21 days without resupply.

And then there's VARIETY. Eating as a backpacker to me is all about variety. A stove increases variety tremendously. Want to have hot morning tea or coffee? Need a stove. Want to fry up some scrambled eggs? Need a stove. Want to make a couple grilled cheese sandwiches? Need a stove. Want to melt snow for water on a winter trip at 0F? Need a stove. Want to gather and boil up some wild edibles like chickweed or violets etc? Need a stove. Want hot food? Need a stove.

And then there's the PSYCHOLOGICAL component. Cooking and preparing hot food and beverages becomes a comfortable Cro magnon ritual---making your time in the woods just a little more homelike. This is most esp true in the winter.

99% of people are never a day or two away from resupply....if not same day. Again, there are more advantages than just weight. I'm usually under 10 pounds so if it was only weight im after, I'd probably use my alcohol stove and titanium mug.

For me, personally, I prefer easy no nonsense meals and clean up on trail. No, bolling water isnt "hard." But the whole process is tedious...to Mr. I began to hate eating dinner bc I just want to zonk out and relax. So I went stoveless.

Side note, as a straight black hot coffee drinker at home, I love the ice vias on the trail. Seriously, if you have never tried them you're doing yourself a disservice.

Enjoy

Journal Entries

I've been a evening hot meal camper for many years. I just don't get into cooking for breakfast or lunch. During my 2017 PCT thru-hike I've was a no cook hiker up till Kennedy Meadows. I did appreciate the trail stops along the ways and on several occasions I was treated to a hot meal along the trail, but I just didn't need a hot meal for the first 800 miles. So, I'd say you are in good hands if you choose to go stove less. Be sure to plan your meals well. But I disagree with the weight savings and I still carried a stove just in case I felt I needed a hot meal. As several have pointed out the meals can be heavier when you don't cook.

Cooking hasn't worked well for me, going cold next time.
    Looking forward to leaving stove and cook gear at home.

I agree with all that indicate stove-less is not necessarily lighter. I, so far, have enjoyed the convenience of it especially on the short winter days down in BBNP in January.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

There is a major difference between cooking at home and cooking on the trail. For those that said they had problems cooking on the trail, you need to practice with your equipment either in your backyard or on shakedown hikes close to home. Don't wait until you are on your thru or section hike to break in your/use your stove and pot for the first time.
    Blackheart

I don't think anyone had "problems cooking",people are saying they don't enjoy it. Bit of a leap to assume the issue is lack of home practice. This, to me, is no different than boots vs trail runners, hammock vs tent or any other gear debate. OP asked for thoughts on both and for experiences of no cook. A lot of folks don't feel the need to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    I don't think anyone had "problems cooking",people are saying they don't enjoy it. Bit of a leap to assume the issue is lack of home practice. This, to me, is no different than boots vs trail runners, hammock vs tent or any other gear debate. OP asked for thoughts on both and for experiences of no cook. A lot of folks don't feel the need to cook.

To each their own. HYOG. Cook or don't cook. However, the thread was started with reasons - goals- why no cooking was being considered - to save wt and bulk. Those goals are infrequently realized! And, again, I too, whether I "cook" - boil water - or not, aim for no nonsense meals and clean up. There are techniques and tips to have no nonsense hot meals and "clean up" for when one does heat something too. Will you recognize that? I dont know how and where you hike but not everyone resupplies every day or two EVEN IF THAT POSSIBILITY IS AVAILABLE. Will you recognize that?

Did you read Handlebar's post from another thread? Here it is for all: My LNT method of pot cleaning: 1. Use spoon to clean and eat as much of dinner that sticks to side of pot as possible; 2) Pour about 3 oz of treated water into the pot; 3) Use bottom of spoon to loosen up remaining food residue; 4) Use finger (sanitized before cooking) to swirl water up to edges of side of pot to get any food residue there; 5) drink water with food bits from pot; 6) Boil water for evening tea in pot (sterilizing); Drink tea and put pot away.

This is particularly helpful when at a dry camp to which I've carried water or in desert areas where water is at a premium. Also, there are no bits of food thrown out with water if broadcast on the ground and less likelihood of attracting varmints.

Then I added: It helps to have options. Clean cookware without water. Use sand, a stick, leaves, moss, lichen, birch bark,...Scrape with utensils first. Swoosh the side of the pot with a clean finger. If using water use small amounts, and as Handlebar said, drink it. It's water. It's good for you. It has nutrients. Those are good for you. If eating something that sticks to a pot like mac n' cheese, cheese, etc, clean the pot right after eating.

When desert hiking in cold weather most frequently sand cleans out my cook pot. No need even for the water.

DW, havent disagreed with anything you've said. And to be clear, I own multiple cooking sets including tiny alcohol stoves. There are times I cook, the majority I dont. The reasons I am not going to rehash again. And certain people, not talking about you, come from a patronizing angle. I

No problem Huntmog. I got to go for a long walk about. IMS. Testosterone and Vit D level must be low. Pass the pitas.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm going stoveless now but I'm considering picking up a stove in Stratton or wherever. Dogwood is right about dubious benefits.

When I sectioned the Smokies a couple of years ago and had a tightly planned trip with no resupply, it made perfect sense. OTOH in a world of impromptu resupply, a stove would give me options, especially nutrition wise. It would also be cheaper. I've been eating a lot of bars instead of real food.

As for cleanup, I still have to carry a rehydration container and cleanup is the same whether stoveless or not: there is no cleanup. A stove sterilizes the pot every time and you're cooking once or twice a day so it's not disgusting. (YMMV on that one I suppose.)

OTOH the last grocery store was in Millinocket and most of these hostels stock prepared food and other premade items, so as a veg*n I would basically be in the same boat. What do you have to do to get some minute rice and Mrs. Dash?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++