WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Manufacturers False Advertising Regarding Weight

I'm growing tired of purchasing equipment and having the actual weight far greater than the weight advertised by the manufacturer.

I recently purchased a tent that was advertised:
    Minimum weight: 5 lbs. 4 oz.
    Total weight: 5 lbs. 15 oz.

The actual weight of the tent without stakes and stuff sack is 6lbs 8oz. With stakes and sack, it's 7lbs 13oz. Not even close to what the manufacturer advertises. This will be the second tent in 3 weeks that I'm sending back because of false advertising.

The North Face advertises one of their sleeping bags as 2lbs 11oz. Nope, 3lbs 8oz without the stuff sack.

My new cookpot is 5oz over advertised weight.

Can anyone confirm that the REI Half Dome 2 Plus actually weighs close to 5lbs 5oz?
    Last edited by DownYonder; 07-15-2018 at 12:08.

sure it's not your scale?

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    sure it's not your scale?
    Yes. We use the scales in my business and calibrate them semi-annually. I also checked them immediately after I weighed the items.. Within .5oz

That does seem to be a rather large difference, across multiple items. I too would double check the scale.

Normally, I might see a couple ounce difference between stated weight and actual weight, but never anything more than 4-6 oz on a larger item.

I bought an REI Half Dome 2Plus in 2014. Weighed by me at home, the tent, fly, stakes, and stuff sack weighed 108.44oz, or 6lbs, 12.4oz.

I don't remember the advertised weight, but 5.5lbs comes to mind.

(** The stakes were not the ones that came with the tent; they were lightweights from another setup. The stuff sack was a Sea-to-Summit 20L dry sack.)
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I will add this though: the tent I bought last year from Big Sky International (a Revolution 2p, with "porch" option) came to me with the exact same measurements & weight as advertised (3lb, 6oz).
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

My Dream Hammocks Raven came in a bit under the predicted weight. For other items, a food/postal scale is your friend.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Recent contemporary purchases:
    MSR tent & Pocket Rocket 2, TarpTent tent, WM Alpinlite Long, Xtherm Large, ULA Catalyst, Sea 2 Summit poncho, JetBoil SOL.
    All were on spec. + or - fractions of an ounce. Some companies are more accurate than others.
    Wayne

Ps:
    As weighed on a calibrated digital scale.
    Wayne

-

it is better than it used to be - maybe the power of the internet to fact check

I just weighed my 2016 REI Half Dome 2 Plus and it weighs 5.5 oz. That includes original stuff stack, rain fly, tent, poles and stakes (I am not sure if the stakes are the ones that came with the tent).

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I just weighed my 2016 REI Half Dome 2 Plus and it weighs 5.5 oz. That includes original stuff stack, rain fly, tent, poles and stakes (I am not sure if the stakes are the ones that came with the tent).
    5.5 oz wow lighter then my hexamid ;0)

OK so the weight is off a bit. You can carry slightly less water or have a positive bathroom exprerience OR drop a few pounds and it all works out. There is probably a pill for obsessive compulsive analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Yes. We use the scales in my business and calibrate them semi-annually. I also checked them immediately after I weighed the items.. Within .5oz
    Did you weigh other items that turned out to be at, or very near, claimed weigh? At the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Did you weigh other items that turned out to be at, or very near, claimed weigh? At the same time?
    Yep. Weighed several items after I discovered the tent's weight. REI AirRail, REI Rainer Rain Jacket and Walther PPS all within 1-2 oz. I'm guessing it is just the manufacturer of the tent but close to 2 lbs doesn't cut it. Not surprised that NF bag is off a bit; hoping they just added a bit too much fill.

I was just steamed because this is the second tent that I'm returning. A different seller advertised 35sf floor space and I contacted the seller to verify. The one they sent was a newer model @ 30sf. Also, missed an excellent price on the Half Dome over the 4th!!

double post...........................

Many years ago after reading a similar thread, I weighed 5 tents, from a very well known brand.
    ( new from the storeroom of a local shop )
    5 different weights, several ounces from the lightest to the heaviest. They could have been from different batches .

Is the tent in question from a name brand manufacturer or one of the Chinese knock offs? I can't imagine one of the major players being that far off. My big Agnes tent was an ounce lighter than the listed weight. Big Agnes quilt was an ounce heavier. Nothing I can't live with.

You have a valid concern but you're off to asking the wrong question without the correct details from the onset. This leads to confusion in itself never mind marketing hype. The REI HD Plus 2 was manufactured for several yrs. Determine what yr you're inquiring about first. Different yrs versions can vary in wt and other specs.

Next, as an evolved ULer and sometimes SULer the minute I read gear, like tents, specked with a Minimum Trail Wt and Packaged Wt it's a marketing red flag IMO. If I have to search for how these wts are defined IN DETAIL it makes me even more leery. I tend to pass. This is why I much prefer to buy gear where wt is of high priority within a very narrow margin of wt error from those who only do UL gear like small UL cottage gear companies that display transparency in details and track records of delivering as marketed. i.e.; MLD, ULA, Gossamer Gear, Snow Peak, SMD, Zpacks, etc. But even Patagonia, Arcteryx, Marmot, Snow Peak, McHale, WM, FF, etc with conventional and light wt gear as well as their "UL" versions display excellency in these regards.

I have a question. What stakes and stuff sack weigh 1 pound 4 ounces? Seriously? My stakes weigh 6 grams each. 20 stakes=120g=4 ounces. The stuff sack weighs a freaking pound? Something is very wrong here....even if your stakes weigh 1/2 ounce each(15 grams), the Half Dome only takes 8 stakes. That would be 4 ounces. Again, go weigh your stuff sack by itself. If it weighs a pound be sure to post pics because aint nobody gonna believe it. Plus, you have to take the guy lines off the tent for the minimum weight as well. Finally, if you are worried about a 20 percent difference in advertised weight on a 6 pound 2 person tent...well....I just can't help you....that brick is more than twice what it should weigh for it's square footage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++