WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking in the Shenandoah Park.

I am planing a section hike this fall and I would like to know if you allowed long term parking in Skyline Drive parking lots and if it is safe to do so. I would leave my vehicle there for somewhere between two and three weeks. I would be using the Black Rock parking lot at about 87.4 on the Sky Line Trail. If this is not possible or recommended what other options would I have. I would like to shuttle south from here and hike back. this was a beginning point for a previous section hike. recommended shuttle are also welcomed.

I parked at Bootens Gap, for a total of 14 days, 2 different trips.. One trip for 9 days. No problems. FYI, I always felt that because I have an AT sticker on my back window, they knew why I was parked there
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

If you don't already have an annual park pass ($55 as of 6/1/18), you may want to consider it. The regular park entrance fee is now $30 per vehicle, and is good for 7 days.

I'm guessing that if you park anywhere in the park for more than those 7 days, you'll need to pay another fee as you exit the park -- another $30, making the annual pass the smart choice.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    If you don't already have an annual park pass ($55 as of 6/1/18), you may want to consider it. The regular park entrance fee is now $30 per vehicle, and is good for 7 days.

I'm guessing that if you park anywhere in the park for more than those 7 days, you'll need to pay another fee as you exit the park -- another $30, making the annual pass the smart choice.
    Rules may have changed, but when I went in the park, I told them I was only staging a vehicle for my foot traffic only trip thru the park, 2 different years, 2 different rangers allowed me to enter at no charge since I was dropping a car, and heading back out. As well, they do not check any vehicles as you leave the park, only upon entering.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You'll be fine. Iv often seen cars not move between me starting and ending a trip.

I recently backpacked in Shenandoah. They require you to get a free backcountry permit, on which you have to write your vehicle information and license plate number. After that, you can park in any of the parking lots in the park. I didn't experience any problems leaving my truck for 5 days, nor did my hiking partner who parked in another area.

Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Rules may have changed, but when I went in the park, I told them I was only staging a vehicle for my foot traffic only trip thru the park, 2 different years, 2 different rangers allowed me to enter at no charge since I was dropping a car, and heading back out. As well, they do not check any vehicles as you leave the park, only upon entering.
    Cool -- that's good to know.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Journal Entries
    Images

I've used those areas extensively and would say they are among the safest parking areas. Very deep within the park. The Black Rock lot is a little small and that area gets a lot of use. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2067...!7i3328!8i1664 I might suggest using the lot a little further South at RipRap: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1772...!7i3328!8i1664 It is a little bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctortom View Post
    I am planing a section hike this fall and I would like to know if you allowed long term parking in Skyline Drive parking lots and if it is safe to do so. I would leave my vehicle there for somewhere between two and three weeks. I would be using the Black Rock parking lot at about 87.4 on the Sky Line Trail. If this is not possible or recommended what other options would I have. I would like to shuttle south from here and hike back. this was a beginning point for a previous section hike. recommended shuttle are also welcomed.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

When I was filling out my back country pass in April, the ranger told me that the info is placed into a database for rangers to access. They will check on cars in the lots to see if someone is overdue. If so, they will then start a search. That's part of the reason for wanting to know your itinerary.

Thanks for the info

Thanks, I have numerous hiking stickers and is PA ATC license plate.

I want to thank everyone, you have answered my question and removed a major obstacle. Yes, I do have a NPS pass.

++ New Posts ++