WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default One woman - rescued TWICE on the AT...

if she's trying a thru, maybe just wore herself out. Duly embarrased, I would hope.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    if she's trying a thru, maybe just wore herself out. Duly embarrased, I would hope.
    I guess we'll find out 2 weeks from now.

Good thing it happened in a state that really welcomes and embraces thrus.

Typical Snowflake. It wasn't her fault. It was that big, bad mountains fault. Unless I was completely knocked out, I couldn't imagine having to be carried down a mountain. But two times??? Really??? She is going to have a rough and disappointing life.

She's Sobo, so maybe she still doesn't know her body.

A quote from Sandy Stott's book "<Critical Hours> Search and Rescue in the White Mountains" when asking a group of young men who volunteer for SAR and we're Maine Guides, trail maintainers, Wardens, avid outdoors people, why, as a group, people who spend so much time outdoors, never call for rescue.

"I'd crawl on my hands and knees for four days before I'd ever call for rescue"

This young woman needs to.learnto crawl

Called for help.
    Called for help again.
    Cell phones at fault?
    Perhaps the SAR team could make an evaluation and decide if the person actually needed assistance?
    Conversely, we don’t have any facts and shouldn’t jump to conclusions.
    Do stories like this come from the Rockies? I’m genuinely curious. Perhaps people along the Continental Divide are better prepared, self reliant and often lack cell coverage long before they reach the trailhead.
    Once again I would like to know the whole story.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

In 2014 I was at times very literally crawling through the HMW after I smashed my knee. It never occurred to me to call for SAR extraction -- I mean, of course it hurt horribly, but I wasn't bleeding uncontrollably, hadn't hit my head and wasn't in fear for my life. I had shelter and I had food and God knows I had plenty of water (epic rain!) I figured I had gotten myself into the problem and would have to figure out how to get out of it. I just stayed in place for a couple days to see if it could get any better, and then when I realized I had to call it quits I was able to reach a spot with a teeny amount of cell service and call the AT Lodge. Coordinated a spot for them to pick me up the next day -- a mere 4 miles that took me almost 6 hours. (Always & forever a huge shout out to AT Lodge!)

Not trying to sound tough, because I'm not, and I think the area she was at is much more difficult than where I was, but yeah -- I'd really have to be on fear for my life in order to call for rescue.

I hope she's okay and glad no one on the team got hurt.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Typical Snowflake. It wasn't her fault. It was that big, bad mountains fault. Unless I was completely knocked out, I couldn't imagine having to be carried down a mountain. But two times??? Really??? She is going to have a rough and disappointing life.
    I missed the part in the article where she was quoted as blaming the mountain. Where did you see that?

You guys are tough. Is it possible she had a serious medical issue and simply thought she had overcome it?

Last edited by rhjanes; 07-20-2018 at 12:27.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

So much judgmental keyboard diagnosis.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    To me, it reads that both times she 'became severely ill'. Makes me think she could have some underlying medical condition and perhaps should not be in such remote areas. Perhaps needs to be doing short section hikes with lots of roads for self-extraction when the illness returns.
    Not knowing what caused the illness it's hard to judge, but to have it happen twice in a few weeks rises a red flag or two. Could be an underlying medical condition or maybe food related?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Her first rescue was on July 5th, back when Maine was experience the first real heat AND extreme humidity of the season. If I remember correctly, she was one of the ones rescued due to heat related illness from the 100 Mile.

I have no idea what she is experiencing this round, but it is possible the heat related illness exacerbated an unknown health issue. It's also possible she had a knee-jerk reaction after needing the first rescue. Without all the facts it's wrong to say she acted in an irresponsible manner.

Did you actually read the article? I did and she was evacuated for illness on both occasions. No mention was made of her denying responsibility - you read this into the article to support your outrage. As far as your self-professed superior outdoor self-rescue skills and general self-righteousness, at 51 years old you should have learned already that life has a way of putting us in circumstances that we would not have imagined. She's a 21 year old attempting a 2190 mile thru-hike and you're 51 and sitting inside anonymously pounding away baseless criticism on a keyboard - and she's the snowflake?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Called for help.

Perhaps the SAR team could make an evaluation and decide if the person actually needed assistance?
    that there is a very large number of people running around now who would vehemently and passionately disagree with this statement is a huge problem.

From the article it is known that she was rescued twice, and where she was rescued. There are no other significant facts, yet people want to make all kinds of assumptions. Amazing!

Watch out kids we got a real maverick here

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    In 2014 I was at times very literally crawling through the HMW after I smashed my knee. It never occurred to me to call for SAR extraction -- I mean, of course it hurt horribly, but I wasn't bleeding uncontrollably, hadn't hit my head and wasn't in fear for my life. I had shelter and I had food and God knows I had plenty of water (epic rain!) I figured I had gotten myself into the problem and would have to figure out how to get out of it. I just stayed in place for a couple days to see if it could get any better, and then when I realized I had to call it quits I was able to reach a spot with a teeny amount of cell service and call the AT Lodge. Coordinated a spot for them to pick me up the next day -- a mere 4 miles that took me almost 6 hours. (Always & forever a huge shout out to AT Lodge!)

Not trying to sound tough, because I'm not, and I think the area she was at is much more difficult than where I was, but yeah -- I'd really have to be on fear for my life in order to call for rescue.

I hope she's okay and glad no one on the team got hurt.
    As someone who has worked evacuating people, and also has assisted NH Fish and Game, NY Forrest Rangers, and the Forrest Service in the 'Smokies', I do have something to say about your post.
    Immediate threats and discomfort aside, one also has to take a look at long term heath effects on stuff like this. Pushing thru could mean a lifetime disability. Not calling to alert them, or a friend when you had the chance to let them know, even if you didn't need rescue, is also potentially calling for a much larger search if things go wrong when you are out of cell service. For that I don't commend what you did, there are people who want to help out and who devote their careers for this purpose, people who care that you are fully able to hike and enjoy hiking again.

With that said I don't know the circumstances in your case, but that attitude of self rescue and self reliance often works, but at a unneeded cost, and sometimes just makes things worse if one misses opportunities for help.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    that there is a very large number of people running around now who would vehemently and passionately disagree with this statement is a huge problem.
    That was a question.
    I probably didn’t word my theoretical question fully.
    Suppose a small SAR/EMS team arrives on the scene. Something like this happens: Diagnoses. Treatment if needed. You’re going to be fine tomorrow. Have a nice hike.
    A big thumbs up to the second rescue team that arrived promptly and evacuated the lady quickly.
    I bought CORSAR cards for my granddaughter and I yesterday. We’ll be in Colorado soon. All you CT/CDT hikers and Colorado visitors in general should do the same.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That was a question.

a somewhat rhetorical one i would say

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++