WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default One woman - rescued TWICE on the AT...

if she's trying a thru, maybe just wore herself out. Duly embarrased, I would hope.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    if she's trying a thru, maybe just wore herself out. Duly embarrased, I would hope.
    I guess we'll find out 2 weeks from now.

Good thing it happened in a state that really welcomes and embraces thrus.

You guys are tough. Is it possible she had a serious medical issue and simply thought she had overcome it?

Typical Snowflake. It wasn't her fault. It was that big, bad mountains fault. Unless I was completely knocked out, I couldn't imagine having to be carried down a mountain. But two times??? Really??? She is going to have a rough and disappointing life.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Typical Snowflake. It wasn't her fault. It was that big, bad mountains fault. Unless I was completely knocked out, I couldn't imagine having to be carried down a mountain. But two times??? Really??? She is going to have a rough and disappointing life.
    I missed the part in the article where she was quoted as blaming the mountain. Where did you see that?

Did you actually read the article? I did and she was evacuated for illness on both occasions. No mention was made of her denying responsibility - you read this into the article to support your outrage. As far as your self-professed superior outdoor self-rescue skills and general self-righteousness, at 51 years old you should have learned already that life has a way of putting us in circumstances that we would not have imagined. She's a 21 year old attempting a 2190 mile thru-hike and you're 51 and sitting inside anonymously pounding away baseless criticism on a keyboard - and she's the snowflake?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Did you actually read the article? I did and she was evacuated for illness on both occasions. No mention was made of her denying responsibility - you read this into the article to support your outrage. As far as your self-professed superior outdoor self-rescue skills and general self-righteousness, at 51 years old you should have learned already that life has a way of putting us in circumstances that we would not have imagined. She's a 21 year old attempting a 2190 mile thru-hike and you're 51 and sitting inside anonymously pounding away baseless criticism on a keyboard - and she's the snowflake?
    lol. 10 characters are required to respond, so: lolololol
    A Human Being.

Watch out kids we got a real maverick here

Typical Snowflake. It wasn't her fault. It was that big, bad mountains fault.
    A lot of assumptions made with this reply! Supportive communities help to form strong individuals, friend. I hope this gal has a great life and learned a lot from her experience!

Water for 10 days, what kind of absurd over-preparedness is this? It took me 3 1/2 days to go through the 100 miles. It reminds me of other howlers I heard while a boy scout. If people are going to live in a soft, self-protective fragile bubble they have no business doing extended hikes.
    No doubt he/she ment 10 days of food. We all know there is plenty of water in the HMW. 3.5 days to do the HMW? Good for you Greenmntboy, but not many others can or are willing to do it at breakneck speed. Granted, 10 days is dragging your feet, but 6-7 days is a bit more reasonable for mere mortals.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No doubt he/she ment 10 days of food. We all know there is plenty of water in the HMW. 3.5 days to do the HMW? Good for you Greenmntboy, but not many others can or are willing to do it at breakneck speed. Granted, 10 days is dragging your feet, but 6-7 days is a bit more reasonable for mere mortals.
    I got a ride to Long Pond stream by someone at Mr. Shaw's place in Monson, hiked back in the afternoon, next day ride out there again, so it was easier to do the 100 miles; the bugs drive you on in the lowlands.

She's Sobo, so maybe she still doesn't know her body.

A quote from Sandy Stott's book "<Critical Hours> Search and Rescue in the White Mountains" when asking a group of young men who volunteer for SAR and we're Maine Guides, trail maintainers, Wardens, avid outdoors people, why, as a group, people who spend so much time outdoors, never call for rescue.

"I'd crawl on my hands and knees for four days before I'd ever call for rescue"

This young woman needs to.learnto crawl

Called for help.
    Called for help again.
    Cell phones at fault?
    Perhaps the SAR team could make an evaluation and decide if the person actually needed assistance?
    Conversely, we don’t have any facts and shouldn’t jump to conclusions.
    Do stories like this come from the Rockies? I’m genuinely curious. Perhaps people along the Continental Divide are better prepared, self reliant and often lack cell coverage long before they reach the trailhead.
    Once again I would like to know the whole story.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Called for help.

Perhaps the SAR team could make an evaluation and decide if the person actually needed assistance?
    that there is a very large number of people running around now who would vehemently and passionately disagree with this statement is a huge problem.

Do stories like this come from the Rockies? I’m genuinely curious. Perhaps people along the Continental Divide are better prepared, self reliant and often lack cell coverage long before they reach the trailhead.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne
    In the western mountains, there is rarely any cell coverage, even at trailheads or along roads. When I hike alone (as I usually do) I am extremely careful and prepared, leave an itinerary at home, and hope for the best. I expect that's pretty standard.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Called for help.
    Called for help again.
    Cell phones at fault?
    Conversely, we don’t have any facts and shouldn’t jump to conclusions.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne
    Unfortunately even sillier stories have been happening out west.
    1) Guy hits spot on Whitney Approach trail. Rescuers come. He won't go to the hospital, he only wanted a ride to his car. They made him walk out.
    2) Women just north of I-80 on the PCT in mid-May. Has phone apps, knows exactly where she is, has plenty of food and is within a couple hundred yards of a closed forest service road. Posts out on Facebook that she's scared. Ends up calling the rangers to pick her up on that closed road. Is hailed as an epic adventurer by the facey groupies.
    3) Two hikers last year, late season, north of Stevens Pass. Struggled in prior section, Knows a major storm is coming, tells family that they will hit their spot button if they get in trouble. Snow hits, loses phone battery and all ability to navigate. Presses spot and rescuers snatch them a couple of days later.

I believe all three of cases should have the bills sent to the irresponcpsible people involved. With the plethora of information making everyone an epic adventurer combined with the instant gratification of pushing the button and get a rescue Uber ride will make these sad stories more commonplace. Plus, lets not forget Johnies mommy who get on Facebook and says Johnie must be in trouble, "He always messages me every night as he is snuggling with his teddy bear. There must be something wrong." I would love to know the increase in calls to S&R from Johns's mommy.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Sure are a lot of psychics taking part in this discussion. It’s the only way to explain the detailed conclusions being drawn from one sparse article.
    Then again, there are some of us who are using her plight to discuss in general the tendency to call out for help when other alternatives could be available. It's a discussion not only of her but of backcountry rescues in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Then again, there are some of us who are using her plight to discuss in general the tendency to call out for help when other alternatives could be available. It's a discussion not only of her but of backcountry rescues in general.
    There's definitely a valid discussion to be had around that, but there's more than a little specific victim-blaming here well before the facts are in. There's some virtue-signaling too, which is ironic since it seems to come from a generation (me included) that tends to be quick to decry it among millennials.

It may well be too easy these days to call for rescue, and no doubt people vary in how quickly they're willing to use that ability. Without PLBs and so forth, people on average would probably be more careful. But I'm not ready to throw this young woman under the bus without the facts of her situation. Even then, how helpful is that? Rangers and SAR don't need me to get filled with indignation on their behalf. They can stand up for themselves, if it's even appropriate here. Which remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Unfortunately even sillier stories have been happening out west.
    1) Guy hits spot on Whitney Approach trail. Rescuers come. He won't go to the hospital, he only wanted a ride to his car. They made him walk out.
    2) Women just north of I-80 on the PCT in mid-May. Has phone apps, knows exactly where she is, has plenty of food and is within a couple hundred yards of a closed forest service road. Posts out on Facebook that she's scared. Ends up calling the rangers to pick her up on that closed road. Is hailed as an epic adventurer by the facey groupies.
    3) Two hikers last year, late season, north of Stevens Pass. Struggled in prior section, Knows a major storm is coming, tells family that they will hit their spot button if they get in trouble. Snow hits, loses phone battery and all ability to navigate. Presses spot and rescuers snatch them a couple of days later.

I believe all three of cases should have the bills sent to the irresponcpsible people involved. With the plethora of information making everyone an epic adventurer combined with the instant gratification of pushing the button and get a rescue Uber ride will make these sad stories more commonplace. Plus, lets not forget Johnies mommy who get on Facebook and says Johnie must be in trouble, "He always messages me every night as he is snuggling with his teddy bear. There must be something wrong." I would love to know the increase in calls to S&R from Johns's mommy.
    Amen! Brother!
    I pray it's not me. Meanwhile there have been cases in recent memory where a SPOT/INREACH/PLB would have saved a life. Otter on the CDT outside Chama, NM comes to mind.
    Be safe Y'all!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++