Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-02-2013
    Location
    rochester, ny
    Age
    49
    Posts
    49

    Default Up to date hourly forecast presidential range NH

    Anyone know of/have experience using a pretty reliable site to check current weather conditions for the white mt./presidential range along the AT in NH?

    I see they have a lot of sites for the top of MT. Washington weather but what about all the other peaks?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    mountain-forecast.com is what I use for any mountain hike

  3. #3

    Default

    The Mt Washington Observatory issues a daily Summits forecast at 7 AM. While storm fronts coming in from the West, North West will affect the peaks on the western end of the range first, it doesn't take long for them to affect all of the summits. Summer thunderstorms can be real spotty and isolated, so it's difficult to predict where those will strike. One just has to be aware of the general threat for the area.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  4. #4
    Registered User egilbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-18-2014
    Location
    Lewiston and Biddeford, Maine
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    There is a reason so many people die in the White Mountains and the majority of it is weather related. It's, I believe, the most unpredictable place in the world to forecast the weather. Plan to retreat to safety if you feel any bit threatened.

  5. #5
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    There is a reason so many people die in the White Mountains and the majority of it is weather related. It's, I believe, the most unpredictable place in the world to forecast the weather. Plan to retreat to safety if you feel any bit threatened.
    Itís the most heavily studied and the most heavily visited place with very unpredictable weather.
    Wayne

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It’s the most heavily studied and the most heavily visited place with very unpredictable weather.
    Wayne
    Actually, the weather is reasonably predictable. The exact timing can be off though. An approaching cold front can move in quite quickly and with it strong winds which often triggers precipitation, which could be thunderstorms, plain old rain or even snow. The people who are unaware a front is about to move through are the ones who get caught or are a victim of unfortunate timing. The ideal time to be here is the day after a cold front pushes in. Like yesterday, on top of Baldface as seen below:

    SAM_4134.JPG

    In the winter, the exact track of storms is hard to pin point and depending on which way the storm decides to wobble, we can get slammed or be missed all together.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  7. #7
    Registered User egilbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-18-2014
    Location
    Lewiston and Biddeford, Maine
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Actually, the weather is reasonably predictable. The exact timing can be off though. An approaching cold front can move in quite quickly and with it strong winds which often triggers precipitation, which could be thunderstorms, plain old rain or even snow. The people who are unaware a front is about to move through are the ones who get caught or are a victim of unfortunate timing. The ideal time to be here is the day after a cold front pushes in. Like yesterday, on top of Baldface as seen below:

    SAM_4134.JPG

    In the winter, the exact track of storms is hard to pin point and depending on which way the storm decides to wobble, we can get slammed or be missed all together.
    That is such a great hike on a clear day. Very few people and beautiful views.

  8. #8
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,312

    Default

    Not to diminish the weather in the White Mountains.
    But.
    If Jeffery City, WY or Crow Agency, MT had similar weather would anyone know? Would anyone care? Except the handful of permanent residents.
    Itís the ďIf a tree falls in the forest...Ē thing.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •